Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: want to buy, subaru conversion parts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
jetboat80
I am doing a Subaru conversion on my 1970 914 and am looking for some conversion parts. Thanks, Andy
jcd914
welcome.png

Andy, when did you sign up?
Sorry, I don't have any Subaru parts but you knew that anyway.
Jim
jetboat80
QUOTE(jcd914 @ May 5 2009, 03:16 PM) *

welcome.png

Andy, when did you sign up?
Sorry, I don't have any Subaru parts but you knew that anyway.
Jim

Jim,
I thought I signed up about a month ago but for sure last week. Have had a couple people contact me. Andy
VOX
really? i'm still looking for the kep adaptor plate but not much luck finding a used one, probably gotta buy one new.
charliew
just use the suby tranny and modify it yourself to fwd. Or get a fwd suby tranny. It will be a much happier drive train.
wwhalenc
I just sucked it up and put in a order for one. Hate to bite the bullet, but I'll only have limited garage time during which to do the deed.

QUOTE(VOX @ May 6 2009, 12:47 AM) *

really? i'm still looking for the kep adaptor plate but not much luck finding a used one, probably gotta buy one new.

jetboat80
QUOTE(wwhalenc @ May 7 2009, 01:24 PM) *

I just sucked it up and put in a order for one. Hate to bite the bullet, but I'll only have limited garage time during which to do the deed.

I am working with a machinist to make the subaru trans work in the 914. Now that would make the swap easy.
ernestj911@gmail.com
QUOTE(jetboat80 @ May 7 2009, 06:08 PM) *

QUOTE(wwhalenc @ May 7 2009, 01:24 PM) *

I am working with a machinist to make the subaru trans work in the 914. Now that would make the swap easy.

Has anyone every got the subaru trans to work in a 914? It has to be possible, but has it been perfected yet and all the bugs worked out?
jcd914
QUOTE(ernestj911@gmail.com @ May 7 2009, 07:59 PM) *

QUOTE(jetboat80 @ May 7 2009, 06:08 PM) *

Has anyone every got the subaru trans to work in a 914? It has to be possible, but has it been perfected yet and all the bugs worked out?

Sound like a good thread for the Garage.
You could do a search in the garage and if you don't find any threads with the Subaru trans then post the question as a new thread in the garage.
Be a good chance to introduce yourself as well since you are both new to the 914world.

Andy, You know I will come over lend a hand with yours when you get it under way. I even have some ideas to try.
Jim
dlo914
Major points to deal with the use of the subaru transmission are:

- Conversion from AWD to FWD.
- Having adapters made for the CV half shafts = $$$ (almost or same cost of the 901 adapter kit)
- Fabbing tranny mounts for the suby tranny.
- Lastly, fabbing up a cable shifter.

VS.

901 tranny adapted to EJXX motor:

- Purchase Kennedy Engineering adapter plate & flywheel
- Use a stock 914 6 spring clutch and pressure plate or purchase a stronger clutch combo.
- Bolt the engine, adapter plate etc, and tranny together.

For now time & $$$ is an issue for our project and we went with the 2nd option, but we hope to go with the 1st option at a later time.
charliew
There are several people using suby trannys in 914's Check out club narp and porscharu who is also on this site. Another alternative to the cv adapters is to get axles splined for the suby cv and the 914 cv.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.