Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Top Bolt Removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cire
Just trying to figure out a way to get the top bolt out. My sockets dont fit, my wrenches are to long. If I weld a bolt to the top of it I could then get it off. It would heat up the bolt hole a bit but nothing to bad. I would remove it pretty quickly so it wouldnt be in the hole to long.

Thoughts? Crazy?
SirAndy
QUOTE(Cire @ May 5 2009, 09:21 AM) *

Thoughts? Crazy?

What top bolt? confused24.gif
ejm
He's got another thread asking about doing a clutch job so it's prolly the eng/trans top bolts. confused24.gif

If so remove the nuts from the eng compartment side.
URY914
Crazy? Yes.
McMark
I bet he's trying to remove the bolt on the starter side. That bolt gets removed from the engine bay. Easy peazy.
r_towle
I know what you are thinking.
It a long bolt that fits into a v groove cast into the starter.
This holds the bolt in place so it wont turn.
There is a nut in the engine bay, drivers side that you need a box wrench to get. You need to remove the air cleaner to see it.

You may get frustrated, but the 356 bolts are similar and they are even worse to do.

RIch
URY914
I don't use the stock bolt but here is a picture of the top of the starter...

r_towle
QUOTE(URY914 @ May 5 2009, 09:37 PM) *

Why are you using such a heavy starter??

Rich
jimkelly
popcorn[1].gif
URY914
QUOTE(r_towle @ May 5 2009, 06:50 PM) *

QUOTE(URY914 @ May 5 2009, 09:37 PM) *

Why are you using such a heavy starter??

Rich

I don't now. That is a "before" picture with the stock starter. I now use a mini-starter.
URY914
I always find it odd when the original poster of a question never come back on and follows up.
914Sixer
Use a special VW/Porsche tool for the job. The wrench is a avilable for about $20. It has 2 legs off of it and a wrench socket in the middle. Legs prevent wrench from turning while you use a socket from the rear to remove bolt.

The other option when you are done it to throw away the bolt and use a VW or 356 Porsche D shaped starter bolt made for the job. About $2.50 new.
Dave_Darling
What? Why not just remove the nut from the engine side? No special tools required...

--DD
SirAndy
QUOTE(914Sixer @ May 6 2009, 05:43 AM) *

The other option when you are done it to throw away the bolt and use a VW or 356 Porsche D shaped starter bolt made for the job. About $2.50 new.

Which is how the 914 came from the factory ...
shades.gif Andy
r_towle
He may be talking about the 356...thanks I know the tool..
I made special bolt heads...never need the tool.

Back to the 914.
From what I recall, the bolt is nothing special. It has a normal hex head.
The starter has a little notch to hold it in rotational position..the bugger is getting the nut on far enough to hold is from sliding out of the slot...I use a very small screw driver in the threads while I hand thread the nut tight.
Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.