Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Interesting obsevations of old cam and bearings
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DNHunt
Kevin, Gerry and I split the case of a core motor I have. I have no info on mileage or previous work. All bearings were stamped standard so I suspect it was the first time apart. We found a small nick in the cam and the corresponding bearing was scored. Also one half of the front bearing was showing copper. There appeared to be a little wear on the case near the rear seal.

Dave
DNHunt
Here's a little wear on the cam lobes
crash914
Hey!, I just pulled mine apart today also...looks exactly the same as far as the bearings go...

My cam lobes are shiny all the way around. you can slightly see the v shaped area that is dark in your picture.

my lifters appear flat, no crown left.

I know my engine is tired...76 HP at the rear wheels.

What causes the wear on the cam bearing? oil pump torque? Also, my cam appears to be original, 5 rivets on aluminum gear...-2spec.

herb
ChrisReale
That cam wear is exactly what you usually find when inspecting a stock cam that was broke in properly and driven for thousands of miles.
rhodyguy
save some dough dave. stick it back in the new engine. i bet it's still good.

kevin
crash914
my cam bearing pictures...
crash914
my cam picture
crash914
my lifters....
2-OH!
Dave:

Take it over to NWCR and Jerry will exchange it for an overhauled unit, drill out the gear rivets to replace with bolts, all for $85 USD...but you will also have to let him rework the lifters to match the cam...

My slant would be to take him the case complete with cam, lifters, crank, bearings and all...Ten bucks to a donut, the case needs to be line reamed and you can't see that in your garage...Particularly after the wear marks you saw yesterday, in your last post...

2-OH!
Bleyseng
I think Dave is going to use this case for his 2270 motor, so is the cam staying stock? I don't know if that will work but the lifters can be resurfaced.
Geoff
Mark Henry
Although the cam doesn’t “look” too bad, I would go new. Also the 2nd lifter from the left may have some funky wear on it. Check your lifter bores.

You have a MS so why not get bigger bump stick?
415PB
Ditch the cam. Save the cam gear. Instead of drilling I used a punch and a BFH to remove the rivets and it worked just fine. I attached it to a weber cam and used weber lifters.
Jake Raby
That bearing is not "In the copper" It is an OEM Kolbenschmidt set of bearings and the Thrust bearing looks like this right out of the box! (They are old bearings- and damn good)

I hate the stock cam!
Mark Henry
Jakes right...if that thrust cam bearing is within spec save it for your hipo build and put it as you 2nd thrust bearing.

These copper coloured thust bearings are way better than the replacement bearings they sell now. They don't wear with the heavy springs and such.

I have over 30 NOS sets of these, I'm always looking for them at the swaps and I save all of the useable used ones.

BTW none are for sale, I save them for my customers (and my) engines only. No exceptions.
Jake Raby
I do the same!
rhodyguy
i was kidding about the cam wink.gif a used cam and lifters in a big new engine? <_<

kevin
crash914
Yea, I am going with all new parts..I just wanted to show a cam with lots of miles on it. Lifters that are worn flat, shiny copper colored bearings....

Man, the case is full of casting flash....lots of stuff to knock off...

herb
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.