Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Ultimate 914? You be the judge.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
PeeGreen 914
It looks a little MR2 meets Fiero. Not to my taste but it looked like it oved well and sounded nice.
iamchappy
Not my ultimate looking 914, the front and tail looks fine though....
SirAndy
Where was the 914 in that video? confused24.gif

If you hate the look of a factory 914 that much, why did you even bother buying one?
poke.gif Andy
Todd Enlund
What game is that from? Forza 2?
McMark
Not much that says anything 914. I'm not saying the design is bad, just that it isn't my idea of a 914 anymore.
VaccaRabite
IPB Image

Kinda neat, but not a 914.

zx-niner
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ May 5 2009, 03:30 PM) *

It looks a little MR2 meets Fiero.

Agreed.
Pat Garvey
I'm with Andy! But you should have expected that.

One can't successfully redesign a design that has already been successful, without applying a new design number to it. Ergo, it would no longer be a "914".

Besides, its a game creation.

Real world is rust, grease, oil & busted knuckles.
Pat
Wes V
OK, I'm an old guy and know nothing about the video games out there.

I know it's simulation, but are you guys saying that some guy used one of the game packages out there to create it?

Heck, I have a hard enough time with Photoshop.

Wes

dw914er
not my cup of tea...

though im a fan of the stock lines of a teener, the narrow bodied or gt flared ones. I just think its a good design already smile.gif
URY914
Looks like an X 1/9
MikeSpraggi
Not a bad design. A little nip here, a little tuck there and you could have a real, new 914.
sww914
WTF.gif
Michael N
I like the front view, the rear view and the targa bar, but too much going on the sides with all the vents etc. Sure corners nice.
Dr. Roger
QUOTE(sww914 @ May 5 2009, 06:51 PM) *

WTF.gif

IPB Image

Full belly laugh on that comment. lol-2.gif

Still the biggest bang for the buck.. Porsche 914. Stock engine or not.

Andy, aren't you running 21st century technology under your engine hood? poke.gif lol-2.gif I thing Ferdinand Porsche would be impressed none the less.

popcorn[1].gif
dlo914
Hopefully they put the VW Bluesport into production and not that disaster we just saw above:
IPB Image
championgt1
QUOTE(sww914 @ May 5 2009, 06:51 PM) *

WTF.gif

av-943.gif av-943.gif agree.gif
TC 914-8
Al Right, I'll say it,

I like it , shades.gif

if it were a real car, It's low, wide, and if Porsche engineered it it will be fast and expensive.

I could never afford one until 30 years from now, I'd swap out the underpowered engine with a turbine or what ever the latest technology would be at that time.
screwy.gif
charliew
I do like the vw. What was the question?
So.Cal.914
Too Lambo.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Dr. Roger @ May 5 2009, 08:20 PM) *

Andy, aren't you running 21st century technology under your engine hood?

Yes. My comment was about the styling, not the technology involved.

If you don't like the look of a 914, why bother buying one?
confused24.gif Andy
6freak
Im with Tony ...kinda cool! I think it would grow on ya
messix
just maybe that is what the 914 would look like if had evolved in continuos production like the 911.

i like it!
jcambo7
What happened to the 914? Not something i would ever do to mine that's for sure. It sounded nice though...
dw914er
QUOTE(messix @ May 6 2009, 11:35 AM) *

just maybe that is what the 914 would look like if had evolved in continuos production like the 911.

i like it!

no.. if that happened its still look like a our 914's, but slightly more streamlined and with led lights..... and dare I say, a radiator

(itd be clean, but the 911 doesnt look too different from back then)
HCRDAN

SO I had queued up the thread to be able to read it off line (along with a bunch of others) while on the plane on the return flight from my business trip this evening, and I was able to read the comments but unable to view the video,. Now that I'm home and on the ground, I like the overall look. Not crazy about the vents behind the front wheels, so delete those, but the rest looks like it could make a nice looking update on the original 914.

Thinking what would a 914 look like if it had evolved into the 80s and 90s...

One cool image that I saw for the first time was this one (lower left corner on this photo from another thread in the sandbox)
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...t&id=176943

That one is not a design that would age well but cool nevertheless
messix
QUOTE(dw914er @ May 6 2009, 06:01 PM) *

i like it!

no.. if that happened its still look like a our 914's, but slightly more streamlined and with led lights..... and dare I say, a radiator

Really!?
lotus_65
i think it looked cool.
i did a freehand sketch a few months ago with a forward-rake to the targa like this one. i'm diggin' that, even though it is a lot like the fiat.

it seems like there is an aversion to even a theoretical styling evolution of the 914 here. let me point out that a line from the wikipedia entry for our cars reads: "Many enthusiasts see the 914 as a blank canvas upon which to create their own automotive dreams."

think about those poor mg midget owners... i don't think there are many threads about building, or even discussing chassis restyling and modern-day technology as an option.

we are the bomb, and the 914 is the coolest because enthusiasts create machines like this!

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
charliew
Things I don't like:
The windshield is too narrow letting too much air catch the sides of the targa
The tops of the doors are too far in and I don't think the rear vents will be a high pressure area
The rear wing looks like it is added by a 6 year old model builder
To work the rear scoop on the trunk is backward
Try to get in with the targa protruding forward that far
There is no room for rear tire travel in those flairs
The windshield posts look like s**t
The vents in the front end are for cooling the tire tread?
Other than that I guess it's ok for a video game of which I have no use for.
IronHillRestorations
My .02 is there are some interesting elements. I like the front end, and the rear 3/4 view, and the rear view looks good in a Lambo kinda way.

I'm not big on too many scoops and cheesy ground effects. It does look a bit like it was taller, they smushed down and it bulged out at the bottom.
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(dw914er @ May 6 2009, 08:01 PM) *

i like it!

When the Boxter came out, everyone said it was the new 914. I still kinda think that it is.

Zach
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(messix @ May 6 2009, 09:59 PM) *

i like it!

Really!?

I think you just made his point, cosmetics have changed its looks some but the basic shape has not changed.
dw914er

i like it!

Really!?

add in the 997 for good measure... look at the roof line... its still very similar even though the 40+ years of evolution

basically what Paul said
dw914er
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ May 7 2009, 05:44 PM) *

QUOTE(dw914er @ May 6 2009, 08:01 PM) *

i like it!

When the Boxter came out, everyone said it was the new 914. I still kinda think that it is.

Zach

I agree...
messix
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ May 7 2009, 06:32 PM) *

i like it!

Really!?

I think you just made his point, cosmetics have changed its looks some but the basic shape has not changed.

well i guess you could say the same with the proto... same basic shape.

i have said i like the proto but there are some short commings in the design that would have to be addressed if it could be made as a production. the targa bar has been mentioned, it is to close to the passengers heads. the door is too small, the head lights are too low, but all in all it's a nice attempt at a new version of the 914.

oh imo the newer 911'a are fat pigs. the things are just huge! stirthepot.gif
J P Stein
It looked better in the video.....in the pics you can study the overdone uglyness. barf.gif

jimtab
The Bluesport reminds me of RX8 meets BMW Z3.....I'll pass unless they just want to give me one.....
marks914
The concept is cool, but it could use some work for sure. If I have some time, I will rework it tomorrow when I go to work.

Here is a sketch I did a few years ago, more 914-ish in theme.

Mark
Click to view attachment
marks914
The concept is cool, but it could use some work for sure. If I have some time, I will rework it tomorrow when I go to work.

Mark

Click to view attachment

rick 918-S
QUOTE(marks914 @ May 10 2009, 03:04 AM) *

Mark
Click to view attachment

Very nice Mark. drooley.gif I wub.gif the wrapped windsheild and the headlights.
dw914er
QUOTE(marks914 @ May 10 2009, 04:04 AM) *

Mark
Click to view attachment

that actually looks pretty good... theres a few things I would probably do differently (get it to look lower, but yea)

the other concept is too overdone... its like a wanna-be lambo imo.

naro914
I dunno...I kinda like this video game 914

http://www.nogripracing.com/details.php?filenr=14708

(and no, I didn't do it, or have any idea who did)
PeeGreen 914
You may have a car stalker poke.gif
SGB
QUOTE(naro914 @ May 10 2009, 07:07 PM) *

I dunno...I kinda like this video game 914

http://www.nogripracing.com/details.php?filenr=14708

(and no, I didn't do it, or have any idea who did)

Oh thats COOL.

smile.gif

jhadler
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 6 2009, 09:51 AM) *

confused24.gif Andy

I'll admit, that the styling of the 914 did not win me over when I first starting looking at 'em.

I didn't go looking at 914's because of the looks. I went looking at them because of their capability and design as a platform for an autox car. Plain and simple.

I wanted: Low CG, Mid engined, exceptional handling, minimal entry cost, and I have to admit that it had to be German. I already knew I didn't want an MR2 or an X1/9...

Once I got it though, the styling grew on me. Now I think it's a great looking car.

-Josh2
naro914
QUOTE(jhadler @ May 11 2009, 03:01 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 6 2009, 09:51 AM) *

confused24.gif Andy

I'll admit, that the styling of the 914 did not win me over when I first starting looking at 'em.

I didn't go looking at 914's because of the looks. I went looking at them because of their capability and design as a platform for an autox car. Plain and simple.

I wanted: Low CG, Mid engined, exceptional handling, minimal entry cost, and I have to admit that it had to be German. I already knew I didn't want an MR2 or an X1/9...

Once I got it though, the styling grew on me. Now I think it's a great looking car.

-Josh2

You know, to that point....I hated 914's originally. My aunt & uncle had a 914 and a early 911. I loved the 911, hated the 914. Had nothing to do with VW heritage, 911 history, etc. I didn't know anything about all that. I just like the 911 better.

Then Nadine's father said he was selling his 914 and she wanted it. I thought "oh well, at least we have SOME sort of Porsche". Then we drove it, started winning this new autocross thing we never heard of - and the rest is history.

But as you can see from my cars, I'm still not enamored with the stock 914 look, it needs stuff....

5 914's later.... smile.gif
buhs914
wow that was nothing but rice.. and maybe some orange chicken from panda express.. i'm obviously hungry
charliew
When I was 20-25 I was happy to get laid in a wheelbarrow if that was what it took. I was also way too picky on my choices.

I realized after getting one because of the above reasons, the design of the 914 was mainly because the car is so small the windshield has to be too upright and the roof so tall to fit people in. I also have gt fieros and think their styling is much better but they are 10 yrs newer. I do think the fiero is too short behind the seat but thats because they wanted it as short as possible and the sideways mounted motor and tranny allowed that. Also no ring and pinion so the power is more efficiently applied to the wheels.
EdwardBlume
Its so hard to do something like this right. I admire the people who try.... IMHO you're safe keeping the "classic" lines in the car..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.