Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Next question: How do I remove factory fuel line clamps?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Porsche Rescue
I am now pretty sure my 1970 fuel hoses are original. I am replacing all of them. Finished the maze at the filter/pump and started in the engine compartment. All went fine until I reached the line from the pressure regulator to the fuel rail and the lines running from the cold start injector to each rail. They still have crimped on clamps, two at the injector and one at the regulator.

What is the method for removing them?
Jeffs9146
stick a small screw driver between the crimped section and pry apart then use a larger one to spread it some more!

Done deal, replace with hose clamps.
Katmanken
Dremel with cutter wheel to slice a cut into the pinched up section.

Not as rough on the hose when you spread the cut clamp open.

Ken
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(kwales @ May 5 2009, 05:28 PM) *

Dremel with cutter wheel to slice a cut into the pinched up section.

Not as rough on the hose when you spread the cut clamp open.

Ken

Agree with the Dremel method - did it myself. But.......

If these injectors are that old, they probably need rufurbishing, so why not just send all of the the the Witch & let them remove the clamps & hoses that need to be pitched?

You get back only working injectors (if the don't fail) & can get new elbows & clamps from several sources.
Pat
Porsche Rescue
Pat, who's the Witch?

One thing leads to another. I have at least one injector which is dead.
It's been a while, but I have tested/cleaned injectors on the bench with a 9v battery. Squirt PB blaster in and make it spit with the 9 volt.

Just tested one of my suspect injectors and neither the 9v nor the 12 volt in the car would fire it. Appears I need to replace at least one.

Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Porsche Rescue @ May 5 2009, 06:44 PM) *

Pat, who's the Witch?

It's been a while, but I have tested/cleaned injectors on the bench with a 9v battery. Squirt PB blaster in and make it spit with the 9 volt.

Just tested one of my suspect injectors and neither the 9v nor the 12 volt in the car would fire it. Appears I need to replace at least one.

The "Witch" is Witchunter.com. They specialize in testing & cleaning injectors. Prices are reasonable too. If the injector is toast, they tell you & do nothing further. If it needs a good cleaning, they do it & provide documentation that it's a good injector. Check ther out. I have two sets that they've done & the work is exceptional & properly priced.
davesprinkle
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ May 5 2009, 05:56 PM) *

QUOTE(Porsche Rescue @ May 5 2009, 06:44 PM) *

Pat, who's the Witch?

The "Witch" is Witchunter.com. They specialize in testing & cleaning injectors. Prices are reasonable too. If the injector is toast, they tell you & do nothing further. If it needs a good cleaning, they do it & provide documentation that it's a good injector. Check ther out. I have two sets that they've done & the work is exceptional & properly priced.

Pat, some of these injector service companies use a cleaning fluid that over time will evaporate away and leave a gummy mess, turning your freshly-cleaned injectors into fuel rail plugs.

I had my injectors serviced. And then after a year on the shelf, I had to get them cleaned a second time. Dammit.
charliew
Harleys use that type of clamp. You can get new ones at a HD shop and also get a installing tool from them. I got mine at Jim's Cycle Shop in Axtel, TX. For permanent connections I think they add a factory look to the plumbing for oil or gas. It might be the same tool that does the cv boot clamps.
Porsche Rescue
Dremel did it (but mines a cheap Black and Decker).
Found one injector leaking....PO had done an epoxy repair!
Ordered 4 rebuilt injectors. Thanks all.
Katmanken
Those pinch clamps suck as a replacement item. Takes a special calibrated tool to pinch them closed, and it doesn't alway crimp them them correctly unless the crimping tool is positioned exactly right. In other words, they are great for bench work, but suck in a crowded engine bay.

VW uses them, the local service manager hates them, and uses the fuel injection band clamps with the screws. Seems the band clamp tool (screwdriver) is a lot less sensitive to angular positioning and works 100 percent better in an engine bay.

charliew
I think they look more professional and nice and clean. They are on harleys, fuel and oil.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.