Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Permatune?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Lawrence
I posted on the 914 Rennlist about Permatune.

I put mine in the 914/6 yesterday, and went back in to finish my beer. When I drove to work today, I noticed low power, hesitation and even a bit backfiring.

The consensus on RL was that the Permatune unit is a POS.

Truth? Group-think? Myth? Rarely do I hear a COMPLETELY negative response about a product or supplier.

-Rusty
Lawrence
Here is an email I traded with the Permatune tech support. Is his response technically accurate, or a salesman trying to avoid a return?

-Rusty flag.gif

--- Begin Email ---

Gentlemen,

I recently purchased a Permatune CD box to replace the stock unit in my
1970 Porsche. The car was running fine before I disconnected the old
Bosche unit.

I installed the Permatune CD this weekend. After installation, the car
responded with low power, hesitation and a bit of backfiring.

What is going on? Do I have a defective unit?

thank you,
Lawrence

--- Prompt Reply ---

Hi,

No, I do not think the unit is bad. Remember that the Perma-Tune unit is a high performance unit, it is not a stock unit like the Bosch. What you are experiencing is probably breakdown in the high Voltage circuit of the spark plug circuit. The Perma-Tune puts more power through the circuit so minor short circuits that you may not have noticed before become more evident. Run the engine at night with the engine cover open and you will most likely see the forth of July under there.

The problem could be in the coil, rotor, cap, spark plug wire ends (resistors), the wires themselves or a cracked spark plug. The best way to figure out what is going on is to perform the usual trouble shooting procedures instead of just replacing parts. Here is a link to more information:

http://www.perma-tune.com/Technical%20Supp...porsche/911.htm

<name snipped for privacy>
Brad Roberts
I'm not a huge fan of Permatune (I run them successfully) but he is dead nuts on. The Permatune will point out every (other) issue you might have had with your other components. It's kinda like getting a cap placed on one tooth. It imediately makes all the rest look bad..LOL

Oh... FYI. I have used them for 10-12 years with NO failure that wasnt caused by a customer (hooking up battery charger backwards will fry them and the stock unit) This was/is common on 911's.

B
Lawrence
So I fire it up in the dark, and start chasing sparks from there? <_<

Will the faults be that obvious? I imagine that the smallest bit of seeping fuel could be turned into a bonfire if it's sparking that bad.

-Rusty
Brad Roberts
Leaking fuel could start a fire. It will be obvious in the dark. Look in the cap area. Sometimes the plug ceramic insulators fail and you cant see the spark, but you can't hear it. It will jump to the cylinder head down inside the hole.

B
mskala
I've had 2 of these things die. The first one was bought
by the PO, but not too long ago. Then the replacement
I bought turned temp-intermittent the next spring (again
very little use). At least I can use them for backups
since they work for a while. Buy a used Bosch from
somebody, they can be repaired by (I think) Zims if
they go bad.
Mark S.
'70 914-6
Brad Roberts
I agree on using the stock one.

Here is a tidbit of info on ZIMs and the repairs they do:

They used to send them to Permatune for repair... LOL

I dont know if Dennis still does this or not, but seriously they used to send the Bosch units to Permatune for repair. There is only one part that fails in the Bosch (99% of the time) Permatune used to be located in Wylie Texas near Plano. This is about 1.5 hours from ZIMs. Pretty convenient at the time.

B
Lawrence
Well, since I already own a Permatune, I might as well use it.

Any recommended coil for the setup? The one in the car seems to be a no-name brand, and at least several years old.

Thanks for all the input,
Rusty
Brad Roberts
LB,

We typically use the MSD Blaster2. Fairly cheap and SummitRacing delivers in 2 days to Kansas. Works great with their CD box...works great with Bosch or Permatune.

B
Lawrence
The 8202? If so, I'll order it tonight.

-Rusty
Brad Roberts
8202. Operators are standing by.

B
seanery
Lawrence,

I've heard the exact same thing as the Permatune guy wrote you.

-sean
Lawrence
Done. smile.gif
si2t3m
Lawrence,

The Blaster 2 coil will be standing upside down in the six. Might be urban legend but it is said that the blaster 2 will no like being upside down.

Go for a high vibration unit 8222. This one can be mounted upside down.

Marc-André
campbellcj
FWIW there was a Permatune box on my former 70 911E when I bought it. Never had probs in over 10 years - I've heard "they don't make 'em like they used to" though. This was an 80's unit. Then when Otto (John W.) saw it, he just about puked, and yanked it from the car. You can still get "rebuilt" (er, at least tested) Bosch CDI's for around the same price as the Permatune...

For my six motor I might do an MSD box but more likely I'll end up with the Bosch.
Dave Cawdrey
I just got a Mallroy Hyfire VI A. Next in line is that coil, and Mal. dizzy.

Can someone suggest a diz for me, pweese rolleyes.gif I found the Unilite, dont know specifics tho...

2166 w/ 40 IDF's
Mallroy CD box
Brad Roberts
You need the one and only Unilite they sell for VW's.

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.