Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: AAR Auxilary Air Regulator 1.8 on a 2.0?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
thompson-mfr
Hello all!

This is my first use of the forum system? If this is not the correct location for this please let me know.

I have previously just used others Q&A's to answer my questions and until now have found every question answered! Thank you to all!

Sooner or later I had to come out of the closet. "Hi, My name is Ryan and I am addicted to 914's" (owner of 74 2.0 4.5 years)

Now to my question:

Can I use a 1.8 AAR on a 2.0? I have read the answer is NO! but would like some explanation as it seems this is not that crutial of a part and just serves mainly in cold warm up. I have the 1.8 one installed (PO did it), but found out later that this is not the correct one. When I first hooked it back up after replacing the motor it seemed to be doing its job???

I have read on 3 different D-Jet websites that this part is NLA and you can rebuild the old ones, but I will never be concourse and don't care. I do have an old one from the PO but do not know it condition (guessing would need rebuilt) These sites stated that the 1.8 or (944) version wouldn't work on a 2.0??

Here is what my AAR looks like.

IPB Image

SLITS
They both work in the same manner. Mounting is different ... Internals are different, but they both take 12VDC switched power.

So, I say "Yaaass". Anybody who disagrees can go to ..............
type47
agree.gif and I don't see why it won't work. The only wrinkles I see is that the 1.8 AAR has 2 leads, which I would assume is + and -, whereas the 2.0 AAR has only 1 lead, which I would assume is + with the body serving as the ground. Wow, for your first post, welcome.png by the way, you solve the problem of 2.0 AAR's being NLA!

I certainly don't want to go to ...........
thompson-mfr
Which loom does the 12v power come off of for the AAR. I had 12v hooked up to it but want to make sure it is the right one.

I have attached a simple wiring pic if someone could point it out to me.
IPB Image
type47
the wire labeled supplemental air valve.

Excellent pix, where did you get that? Got any more?
Cupomeat
I would hook it up to the same connector of switched power known as "To Coil Pos term (15)" on your diagram.

This way, unless you run the ignition for a long time before starting the car (bad for points anyway) it will work perfectly.

These have been used in most CIS cars as well, so the design is proven, I'd say keep it and enjoy a gradually decreasing fast idle at start up.
thompson-mfr
Thanks for all the help!

As far as the pic is concerned; you can right click on it and save it. I didn't size it at all unless the forum does that. I can also email you the original. I didn't make it (found it) maybe here. I do a lot of Google searching for my answers. 914 enthusiasts seem like pretty good posters.

Well that is the harness I had it hooked up to, so that is good. I did have to ground it and mounted it to the firewall with an existing screw hole. This one is nice as it has a harness terminal.

The site Paul Anders has on the D-Jet and another one (can't remember) is skeptical of it working the same as the original. I really don't get how you can go wrong. Has an inlet and outlet and 12v power. Maybe it wouldn't let as much air by but I doubt it.
detoxcowboy
pm sent..
jcd914
welcome.png

BTDT: I did one on a 914 w/ 1.7L. It worked but not well and I swap it back to an original. Unfortunately it was a long time ago and I don't remember what I did not like about it. It may have simply been that I wanted to mount it in the original location, back then the original type were still available. It may also have been that I installed one that was not working very well, I used to keep a lot of marginal parts around "just in case".

One of the nice things about the 1.8 (and CIS) type is that you can adjust how much air it lets in. There is a small nut on the side (usually painted red) that secures the pivot point for the shutter in the AAR. Moving the pivot point opens or closes the shutter a little and you can play around with it until you find the right range for your engine. Just loosen the nut enough to slide it a little while looking thru the AAR and you can see the shutter open or close some.

Post some pics after your finish your install.

If you attach the pics rather than linking them, then those of us that work behind firewalls and internet filtering software can see them as well.
A lot of the images people link here get blocked by the filtering software here at work and I have to wait until I get home to see what everyone is talking about.

Good Luck

Jim
thompson-mfr
I will add the attachments from now on (or as long as I remember)! Here are the pictures I have posted so far.

JFJ914
QUOTE(thompson-mfr @ May 6 2009, 03:12 PM) *

When I first hooked it back up after replacing the motor it seemed to be doing its job???IPB Image

You answered your own question. Speculation on the merits of substitution is not as good as a sucessful experiment. I always thought it would work, but have never had the need to try it. Thanks for the info. Is there any way to fit it into the original location?
thompson-mfr
QUOTE(John Jentz @ May 6 2009, 02:22 PM) *

When I first hooked it back up after replacing the motor it seemed to be doing its job???IPB Image

You answered your own question. Speculation on the merits of substitution is not as good as a sucessful experiment. I always thought it would work, but have never had the need to try it. Thanks for the info. Is there any way to fit it into the original location?

The PO had it installed (sitting) in the same location. I decided to mount it to the rear(trunk) firewall as there is so much crammed in with all the other FI jumble.
thompson-mfr
QUOTE(thompson-mfr @ May 6 2009, 02:53 PM) *

QUOTE(John Jentz @ May 6 2009, 02:22 PM) *

The PO had it installed (sitting) in the same location. I decided to mount it to the rear(trunk) firewall as there is so much crammed in with all the other FI jumble.

Here is a pic of it sitting in the original location. Its not perfect but it works. That was the old motor .
thompson-mfr
Here is the new motor before I installed. It is a wonder it (old motor) ran looking that bad, but was my daily driver without problems for 1.5 years.
ClayPerrine
I did this years ago and didn't think much of it at the time. Get a plug from FLAPS,ground one lead and hook the other to the wire for the original AAR.

BTW.. get the AAR from a 79 Datsun 280Z. It is cheaper and readily available, and it completely interchangeable with the 914 1.8L AAR.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.