Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuch Refinishing opinion needed Color and Anodizing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
flyloki
So I just painted the 74 Artic silver including valances and rockers, bumpers are satin black.

Fuchs look like crap and I took them to the anodizer to get redone. I'm trying to avoid having to polish them. So I had them strip, blast and clear anodize one to see how it looks.

Well its a nice satin uniform finish but it looks too much like primer grey. Ideally I want a semi-polished wheel(don't like the mirror chrome look) with anodize hard finish.

I have three choices-

1) Just do them all like that cause it still looks kinda silver. -Easy

2) Have the 'dizer strip them all, polish and reanodize to get more shine. Work and or spendy.

3) Have them done in a anthracite/gunmetal anodize. Easy but I'm not sure I'll like the look of the silver and gun metal together although it seems like a popular look today.

Anybody have gun metal color wheels here or care to throw in their 2 cents?
MDG
Gunmetal wheels on a silver car would probably look great. I may be mistaken but I think it was T.C. who posted some shots on here of some 5 lug fuchs that like that.
carr914
My home-done finish looks like the RSR Frosted wheel. It's done for a couple bucks a wheel with a Rustoleum Rattle can Color called Matte Nickel - it does Not have a shine. I'm not sure that is what flyloki is looking for thou.

T.C.

Click to view attachment
MDG
and there's this . . . personally, I like the look of T.C.'s better. And again, I think either would look good on a silver car

Click to view attachment
McMark
You can have them strip them, then polish them yourself, then take them in for final anodize. Polishing is a PITA, but cheap to do yourself.
lotus_65
i really dig the anthracite colored wheel by
OZ.

thefleur
Max914
Flyloki, personally I liked the color of the 5 lug Fuchs on the -6 that TC sold last year:

F/S 1970 914-6, A Real One

Max

Click to view attachment
MDG
QUOTE(Max914 @ May 6 2009, 11:10 PM) *

Flyloki, personally I liked the color of the 5 lug Fuchs on the -6 that TC sold last year:
Max

Yes! Those were the wheels T.C. had I was thinking of. Looks great with silver.
carr914
Those are Diamond Blue Metallic Special Edition Wheels

T.C.
flyloki
Thanks for all the replies and Pics that really helped, I think I'm going to go with an anthracite color. How hard is the powdercoat? The coater says they need to be cleared but I don't want that to fail and then have to re do in a few years. Can I expect the PC to hold up for a while?
charliew
Most silvers of any type of coating will age quicker than other colors and a clearcoat does help them all. My opinion is the redone highly polished and anodized wheels with the black background look the most expensive. If you are using fakes it doesn't matter a lot but if it's the real thing I like the real thing redone I think they will hold their value much better. It's almost impossible to mount tires on a aluminum painted wheel without damaging the edge. I have had dumbasses drop their tools on brand new expensive wheels and never think twice about it. Tire shops are the best place to have real bad experiences, most of them hate me.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.