Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What month in 73 did 74 model year production begin
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Brisco914prc
Is there any published information regarding what month in 1973 the 1974 model year production began? Brett Johnson's 914 Authenticity does not contain that information.

My understanding is that in that era, and earlier, Porsche typically began production of the new model year after the August vacation period. So that would mean that 1974 914 model year production began in late August / early September.

I'm interested because there is a 914 built in July 1973 that has a 1974 rear bumper on it (the style with the two rubber bumper guards). My assumption is that is not the original bumper to the car because a July 1973 car should be a 1973 model year 914.

The car does not appear to show any rear end accident damage or repair that would have caused the original bumper to be replaced. But of course I can't be sure of that.

thanks,
dr914@autoatlanta.com
august was the build of the new year july was the build of the old year. Hence july 73 was a 72 model and aug 72 was a 73 model. for the rear guards go by serial number. If your car is 47429 then it should have rear guards. If it is 47329 then it should not.
jt914-6
To add to George's reply. Here are some of the things that changed between a '73 & '74:
The brake calipers were modified to take thicker pads.
Rear badges were black plastic.
Aluminium screen wash nozzles were changed to black.
The metal surround around the guages was changed to plastic.
The headlight surrounds were black.
The headlight retaining ring was black instead of chrome.
The fuel tank was revised siightly with a new location for the filler.
Black bumper rubber guards for the US fitted front & rear.
Midway in the '73 year model the treadplates went to black plastic.
A seatbelt warning buzzer and ignition interlock was added.

Most things can be changed to make a '73 to a '74 look. The VIN should tell you the year model. The interlock under the passenger's seat is a dead give away even if it has been removed.

I've got a "74", but it was made in Nov. '73.

davep
I have a 73 in July and a 74 in Aug in my database. It is always possible that they ran out of 73 bumpers in July and started using 74 bumpers. I have heard the same thing happen later with 1975 bumpers on a 74 MY car. That has not been proved conclusively. As with most parts, new parts were phased in when old parts came into short supply. MY LE has the wrong VIN for the change in the brake pressure limiter, but it is proof that such mistakes do happen.
ScottD914
huh.gif Yes, same with my 74. It has 75 bumpers with the shock absorbers. Planning on ditching the rubber and going back to 74 or earlier bumpers.
jt914-6
I stand corrected on the brake claipers. Changed from '72 to '73.

Black bumpers were put on as a cost cutting measure and the Fuchs allowy and center console became options. To make up for that, pyle-type carpet and vinyl trimmed roll bar was standard for all 914's.
orange914
QUOTE(Brisco914prc @ May 6 2009, 02:56 PM) *

I'm interested because there is a 914 built in July 1973 that has a 1974 rear bumper on it (the style with the two rubber bumper guards). My assumption is that is not the original bumper to the car because a July 1973 car should be a 1973 model year 914.

my early 73 had the front bumper tits until the bumper was hit and changed. i thought they were original... no?

mike
davep
QUOTE(ScottD914 @ May 6 2009, 03:48 PM) *

huh.gif Yes, same with my 74. It has 75 bumpers with the shock absorbers. Planning on ditching the rubber and going back to 74 or earlier bumpers.

If you are referring to 4742901378, then it did not have the 75 type fenders and bumper originally, they were changed at some later date.

QUOTE(orange914)
my early 73 had the front bumper tits until the bumper was hit and changed. i thought they were original... no?

All 1973 had front tits AFAIK. 1974 introduced the rear tits.
Brisco914prc
George, thanks, it is a 473292xxxx car so it should not have the rear guards. That is what I thought. I questioned the seller (second owner for just a few weeks) about why it has a later bumper and he didn't know. I don't have access to the original owner. Overall the car is extremely original with only a few minor changes that are obviously aftermarket. The rear end shows no sign of being in an accident. It's odd that it has a '74 bumper.

Barry

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ May 6 2009, 04:10 PM) *

august was the build of the new year july was the build of the old year. Hence july 73 was a 72 model and aug 72 was a 73 model. for the rear guards go by serial number. If your car is 47429 then it should have rear guards. If it is 47329 then it should not.

dr914@autoatlanta.com
I would certainly change it back. some 74 owner would love to get those bumper guards as the left rear is no longer available and the rear guards were 74 only of course.
No 474 car by the way had bumper shocks and the big bumpers installed by the factory only the 475 and 476 cars. Also all early 473 models had chrome washer nozzles and not until 1973 year production were the 473 models changed to black nozzles. This coincided with the change from brushed sill and carpet strips to black ones

Nice to see that we are getting some originality threads in the garage!

QUOTE(Brisco914prc @ May 7 2009, 06:46 AM) *

George, thanks, it is a 473292xxxx car so it should not have the rear guards. That is what I thought. I questioned the seller (second owner for just a few weeks) about why it has a later bumper and he didn't know. I don't have access to the original owner. Overall the car is extremely original with only a few minor changes that are obviously aftermarket. The rear end shows no sign of being in an accident. It's odd that it has a '74 bumper.

Barry

Cap'n Krusty

Read what you wrote, George. It doesn't make any sense.

" Hence july 73 was a 72 model and aug 72 was a 73 model. "

The Cap'n
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.