Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Turn Signal Cancel Stopped Working
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pktzygt
BEFORE: The turn signals would cancell better that my new cars.

NOW: If I turn left, it won't cancel at all. If I turn right, it won't cancel unless I make greater than a 120 degree turn.

I installed a MOMO competition steering wheel. I have yet to connect the horn button. Could this be caused by a improperly installed ring? The wheel seems to be on straight. There is a little bit of up and down play on the steering shaft, not the wheel or adapter. No play left to right. Is there something I could have lost during the install?

I searched, but I was wondering what parts need to be transferred to the MOMO, other than the ring? Any pics of how it should look?

Any Ideas?
computers4kids
QUOTE(pktzygt @ May 7 2009, 05:15 AM) *

NOW: If I turn left, it won't cancel at all. If I turn right, it won't cancel unless I make greater than a 120 degree turn.

I installed a MOMO competition steering wheel. I have yet to connect the horn button. Could this be caused by a improperly installed ring? The wheel seems to be on straight. There is a little bit of up and down play on the steering shaft, not the wheel or adapter. No play left to right. Is there something I could have lost during the install?

I searched, but I was wondering what parts need to be transferred to the MOMO, other than the ring? Any pics of how it should look?

Any Ideas?

Did you transfer the canceling ring?
IPB Image
IPB Image

Is the adapter sitting on the "cclip" if so it's also possible you may need a thin washer too give you a little space...you might be binding.

MOMO adapter for a late 914...part #8082
Turn signal canceling ring with horn contact...113-415-660-A (bug aftermarket part that fits Beetles 71-79, Ghia 71-74, Bus 74-79) This part is a great addition for MOMOs on our cars.

Tips: I used a waver thin washer on top of the cclip that is a stop for the adapter on the steering column. This gave me the little bit more space that I wanted between where the adapter and steering column meet.

For the horn button, I took the large washer that goes under the big steering wheel nut and soldered a ground wire to the washer. Some MOMO horn buttons have one connection while others have two (hot and ground). Eventually I'll put a porsche horn button on (I think) and I'll be setup for both types of horn buttons.
Mark
pktzygt
QUOTE(computers4kids @ May 7 2009, 09:16 AM) *

QUOTE(pktzygt @ May 7 2009, 05:15 AM) *

Any Ideas?

Did you transfer the canceling ring?
IPB Image
IPB Image

Is the adapter sitting on the "cclip" if so it's also possible you may need a thin washer too give you a little space...you might be binding.

MOMO adapter for a late 914...part #8082
Turn signal canceling ring with horn contact...113-415-660-A (bug aftermarket part that fits Beetles 71-79, Ghia 71-74, Bus 74-79) This part is a great addition for MOMOs on our cars.

Tips: I used a waver thin washer on top of the cclip that is a stop for the adapter on the steering column. This gave me the little bit more space that I wanted between where the adapter and steering column meet.

For the horn button, I took the large washer that goes under the big steering wheel nut and soldered a ground wire to the washer. Some MOMO horn buttons have one connection while others have two (hot and ground). Eventually I'll put a porsche horn button on (I think) and I'll be setup for both types of horn buttons.
Mark

I'm going to pull it off again tonight and look at it. I never did find out what was rattling around in there from the time I got the car until yesterday.

Is that bug contact ring anything but a replacement for the one I have? It's cheap and I'm all about spending $15 on something that will be an improvement.
markb
I think your cancel ring is 180 degrees off
charliew
Ok, the ring needs to be centered inbetween the cancellation arms on the turn signal assembly when the steering wheel is straight. I hope the turn signal cancellers are not broken. It sounds like one may be. You can't just put the hub on to center the wheel. The hub needs to be centered with the cancellation ring centered. On a 75 the little arms have a w spring that snaps inbetween them. Is it there? i don't think it will work at all if it's not.

I took the one off the 914 wheel and put it on the momo adapter but the 72 bug is also the same.

While you are in there you might need a new shaft bearing or use some shims to tighten the bearing up. I tried the thin metal bushing also a bug part but it was too flimsy to make the shaft feel tight and I ended up using the nylon sleeve that comes with a new bearing as it's much stiffer and doesn't flex as much. Vw parts are the same and don't have the porsche markup.

Don't waste your money on the 15.00 porsche buttons on ebay, They look and work like a toy. Don't ask me how I know. Get the real thing.
fiid
I did put the ring on mine and I have the same symptom - the spacer washer might be the ticket.. I'll look at it again next time I'm in there.

I did have a small shard of copper seperate and poke out, which made the horn intermittently sound, particuarly when turning the wheel a lot. Made my wife crack up laughing at me trying to parallel park it in SF. sad.gif smile.gif
charliew
When I first bought my 75 the shaft was so loose the horn would honk everytime it hit a bump.
computers4kids
QUOTE(fiid @ May 7 2009, 11:49 AM) *

the horn intermittently sound, particuarly when turning the wheel a lot.

The brass tang (lack of a better word) that sticks up is a bit fat...the outside comes very close to the momo adapter...when it touches, well, you already know what.

I took by dremel and trimmed it a bit so it wasn't so wide...giving some more clearance.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.