Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Electrical Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
andys
On my V8 conversion, I need two hot in run and start +12v sources, but I'm not sure how to determine this from any of the 914 diagrams. I need to power up my PCM, and an Accusump solenoid (or maybe just one hot to activate a relay for both?).

Many thanks,

Andys
SLITS
Are you using the 914 relay board or do you want to wire directly into the main body harness?

Oh well ... no matter

Hot only in Start Position .... Pin 6 on the 12 pin engine harness (starter solenoid)
or
Pin 1 on the main body harness connector (14 pin) to the relay board (starter solenoid)

Hot in Run ....(switched power)

Pin 12 on the 12 pin connector (normally used for AAR)

or

Pin 13 on the main body harness (14 pin connector)

or Pin 7 on the 12 pin connector (normal feed to the + coil)
or Pin 8 on the 14 pin connector
andys
QUOTE(SLITS @ May 7 2009, 01:08 PM) *

Are you using the 914 relay board or do you want to wire directly into the main body harness?

Oh well ... no matter

Hot only in Start Position .... Pin 6 on the 12 pin engine harness (starter solenoid)
or
Pin 1 on the main body harness connector (14 pin) to the relay board (starter solenoid)

Hot in Run ....(switched power)

Pin 12 on the 12 pin connector (normally used for AAR)

or

Pin 13 on the main body harness (14 pin connector)

or Pin 7 on the 12 pin connector (normal feed to the + coil)
or Pin 8 on the 14 pin connector

Ron,

No, I'm not using the 914 relay board, and plan to use only the wires I need. I'll probably delete 9, 11, 12, 13, & 14 (on the 14 pin). Since pin 8 on the 14 pin powers the coil, wouldn't it be hot in both run and start?

Thanks,
Andys
SLITS
It is switched power ... on when the key is on ... moving the key to start does not shut the power off on a switched power circuit

You asked for a source of 12 VDC in start only and 2 in run .... I gave you the pinouts for both.
andys
QUOTE(SLITS @ May 7 2009, 02:20 PM) *

It is switched power ... on when the key is on ... moving the key to start does not shut the power off on a switched power circuit

You asked for a source of 12 VDC in start only and 2 in run .... I gave you the pinouts for both.

Thanks Ron. "It is switched power ... on when the key is on ... moving the key to start does not shut the power off on a switched power circuit"

That's pretty much what I needed to know. On many newer cars, a lot of un-necessary circuits are off in start then returns to on in run. I suspected (but wasn't sure) that the 914 is the old school type.

Andy
charliew
I wouldn't put any other load on the coil circuit as it will need all the voltage it can get by itself.
swl
So if you are going to remove the relay board Ron's choices get reduced to no choice.
Hot when starting only - 14 pin connector Pin 1
Hot when switch is on (and start) - 14 pin connector Pin 8

Charliew has a good point though. If you use the Pin 8 for power you are going to be pulling more current through that cct than designed. I would be particularly concerned about the extra current going through the ignition switch. The factory addressed this with the main power relay. Pin 8 turns on the main power and the relay switches power directly from the battery (pin 12)

You really should hook something up to replace that relay action. You'll also need a fuse to protect your equipment. Pin 12 is straight to the battery.

Clarification. The ignition switch does turn off the unneccessary stuff during start. Just nothing from that post of the ignition switch makes it way back to the engine compartment.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.