Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Opinions on Corbeau reclining seats
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ChicagoPete
I am considering swapping out my factory seats in my Toyota pickup with a set of reclining seats from Corbeau. I spend a minimum of 1 1/2 hours a day in the drivers seat 5 days a week and need something a little more supportive in my lower back. Not necessarily seeking a racy look or lateral support for racing, but certainly something ergonomic.

Any opinions on the varieties available and experience?

Of course I am not stuck on only Corbeau, but, they seem to be the most readily available and inexpensive.

Peter
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Those corbeaus although fitting into a 914 easily, sit way to high without removing the seat cushion, look cheap as hell, and ARE cheaply made! (of course we have them in our catalog but I PERSONALLY do not recommend them.) The factory repro gt seats are GREAT

QUOTE(ChicagoPete @ May 7 2009, 02:44 PM) *

I am considering swapping out my factory seats in my Toyota pickup with a set of reclining seats from Corbeau. I spend a minimum of 1 1/2 hours a day in the drivers seat 5 days a week and need something a little more supportive in my lower back. Not necessarily seeking a racy look or lateral support for racing, but certainly something ergonomic.

Of course I am not stuck on only Corbeau, but, they seem to be the most readily available and inexpensive.

Peter

r_towle
QUOTE(ChicagoPete @ May 7 2009, 05:44 PM) *

Peter

Go call a few junkyard. Take a look at Volvo S80 seats, they are fantastic long distance seats.

Rich
orange914
QUOTE(r_towle @ May 7 2009, 02:43 PM) *

Go call a few junkyard. Take a look at Volvo S80 seats, they are fantastic long distance seats.

Rich

but will your head stick out the roof? it seems on the 914 you have to "take your wallet out just so you dont rub on speed bumps".

i've always wondered if the stocks could be improved with some of the new very dense memory foam. confused24.gif

mike
Cap'n Krusty
HELLO! Anybody here that can read? He wants the seats for his TOYOTA!

The Cap'n
orange914
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ May 7 2009, 08:39 PM) *

The Cap'n

my bad, bootyshake.gif biggrin.gif i've got a set of grey leather 6way power seats (BOTH power/driver w/ manuel lumbar). if you could figure an (easy) way to get them i'd sell them real cheap. they were to be put in my 69 ranchero but never made it before selling it.

mike
maf914
Peter,

I have a 2005 Nissan Frontier kingcab that has what are for me the best seats I have ever had. My bad lower back thanks me everytime I have to spend any serious amount of time in them. Have no idea if or how they could be adapted, but if you have access to a good salvage yard you might take a look.
mudfoot76
I have had a chance to spend about 3.5 hours behind the wheel of a car (not a 914) that had reclining corbeau seats. This was on a highway. They are moderately comfortable. I thought the seat cushion was supportive, but didn't extend forward enough for really good thigh support. I did find the seat back to be a little narrow in the shoulders. They are comparable to the stock "sport" seats in my MINI Cooper S. Not bad, but there are surely better seats out there...
r_towle
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ May 8 2009, 12:39 AM) *

The Cap'n

I can read...

Check out the volvo seats...S80 only...they are a bit wider and have loads of adjustments.

Second choice would be BMW 740 seats, but the electronics may be faulty.

Third choice...modern caddilac seats....those were nice.

I drove alot in my last job...the Volvo was purchased purely for the seats.

Rich
ChicagoPete

Rich,

No doubt those seats would be perfect, and that was what I was hoping I could find something comparable in the aftermarket with EASE of adaptability. Also something non powered is what I should have added as well.

The seats in my Audi S8 are amazing for long periods, but, I am sure the would never fit in the Toyota. Same could be said the for BMW or Cadillac, not sure about the S80?

Mudfoot,

That is exactly the information and opinion I am looking for...sure enough, personal experience and opinion...but I think anyone on this board could identify a really high quality seat after being in it for a few minutes.

Maf,

I will have to look into those as the Frontier is about the same size as my Tacoma. Again the issue becomes adaptability.

Thanks for the info and opinions so far.

Peter

Gint
I gad a set of GTS Corbeau's in my Jeep a few years back. They were OK, but the quality isn't the best and the side bolster on the lower seat cushion of the driver's seat couldn't hold up to climbing in and out all the time. That model was also a little narrow. Not bad for me, but fat folks wouldn't like 'em much.
ChicagoPete
Gint,

I was wondering about their durability and quality. I am 6' 215 and climbing in and out can do a number on the side rails of any seat.

Peter

dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ May 7 2009, 09:39 PM) *

The Cap'n

I admit it. I always seem to have a problem reading the whole message.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ May 9 2009, 06:48 AM) *

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ May 7 2009, 09:39 PM) *

The Cap'n

I admit it. I always seem to have a problem reading the whole message.

Especially after the first couple of words ...............?

The Cap'n
teddyf1
I put a set of Corbeau S2000's in Chrysler Sebring. The quality was medicore and side bolster foam broke away from the steel frame after a year. To keep things in perspective, I'm a "fat" folk at 6'-1" and 295lbs. THe seat foam was comfortable and supportive but the fabric also showed more wear then I would have thought after a year. The last issue I have with Corbeau is the mounting brackets, the quality SUCKS! I had to drill 2 new holes in each bracket to get ti fit the stock locations. The Sebring was built by Mitsubishi and was a larger version of the Eclipse. Having put other seats in the car using the Eclipse brackets without issue means the Corbeau jigs or dimensions are off.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.