Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel Economy 914 1.7
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
starman
Anyone know what the rated awerage fuel consumption is for a 914 1.7?
r_towle
Running the correct size tires and wheels, stock transmission.
Using the stock Djet EFI system.

I get 30-34 MPG (when I am nice)
Average is more like 27-28 mpg in mixed driving, year round average (poor gas in winter)

(This is an early bodied car, so its a bit lighter than the post 72/73 cars.)

Rich)
toon1
I get about the same with mine. on average, it's about 26-27 with all the around town driving I do. It shoots up quick when I get on the freeway.

I still have some tuning to do (PEFI), I think I can do better than what I'm getting now.

EDIT: for got to mention, I am running 195/60/15's , they are about 2% under driven. That makes a big difference in fuel economy.
roadster fan
I run 195/60's on a completely stock 1.7 early car (1971). Most of my driving is on the highway with the occasional spirited run thru the hills.

I average 31-33 MPG but have pushed 36 MPG. Amazing when you think that is better than 95% of the new cars out there. One of the reasons the 914 is my daily driver.

Jim

SirAndy
When i still had the 1.7L motor i got 30-35 mpg after i fixed and cleaned up the stock D-Jet ...

Now i only get ~24 mpg. But it's well worth it ...
biggrin.gif Andy
biosurfer1
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 8 2009, 10:51 AM) *

Now i only get ~24 mpg. But it's well worth it ...
biggrin.gif Andy

agree.gif

I would gladly give up a couple MPG's for a 3.6!
starman
Does anyone know what the average was according to the manufacture when the car was new?
roadster fan
1973 ad says 29 mpg for the 2.0, guess the 1.7 could be a little better

Click to view attachment
Joe Owensby
When new, my 1973 1.7 got about 42 mpg on long interstate trips, driving smoothly at about 70 to 75mph. I used to drive from below Charlotte, NC to Philadelphia on one tank of gas- with over 1 1/2 gallons left at trips end. This was durng the gas crunch in the mid-70's when a lot of states actually closed down gas stations on Sundays. I could drive back north on I-95 with almost zero traffic on Sunday afternoon. Almost all the cars of that era got about 10 or so mpg and had very limited range. The few cars that got better milage had small fuel tanks. They were unable to make a long drive on Sunday. My car was great, because when I got back to Philly, I still had enough gas left to be able to wait until Tuesday for refilling. Did this several times. I also checked the odometer to confirm the milage was corrected. JoeO
TravisNeff
My 1.7 is getting about 12-14 mpg. low compression on the drivers side of the engine is the culprit. Before something went wrong I was getting about 34 on highway trips.
EyeTrip
QUOTE(Joe Owensby @ May 8 2009, 05:54 PM) *

When new, my 1973 1.7 got about 42 mpg on long interstate trips, driving smoothly at about 70 to 75mph. I used to drive from below Charlotte, NC to Philadelphia on one tank of gas- with over 1 1/2 gallons left at trips end. This was durng the gas crunch in the mid-70's when a lot of states actually closed down gas stations on Sundays. I could drive back north on I-95 with almost zero traffic on Sunday afternoon. Almost all the cars of that era got about 10 or so mpg and had very limited range. The few cars that got better milage had small fuel tanks. They were unable to make a long drive on Sunday. My car was great, because when I got back to Philly, I still had enough gas left to be able to wait until Tuesday for refilling. Did this several times. I also checked the odometer to confirm the milage was corrected. JoeO

I love the storys like this beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.