Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shifting problems
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
starman
Hii ive got some shifting problems. It a 914 1.7 72' with tailshifter ive gone through all the linking to the transmission, and replaced where needed. However there as still alot of slop. Something under the inspection plate on the transmission where the shifter goes in, that could need replacement, or is it inside the transmission.?
rhodyguy
behind the inspection cover, near where the linkage enters the trans, there is a rolled pin. look on page 86 of your haynes, fig.5.21 item 11. the pin secures item 14 to item 12. if you have a shift pattern that is inconsistant, this MAY be a cause. do not remove the inspection cover until you have drained the gear lube and have sourced a new seal, item 10. some gear lube is still going to drain out. have a catch basin handy.
westgl
I was test driving my 71' 914 tailshifter after enrichining the fuel inj.

As I was driving shifted to 4th and nothing, like it was in neutral, could not find another gear.

I expect that rear cover and the roll pin either came out or broke.

before this happened it wold shift ok when it was cold but when it warm up it would become more vauge and sloppy, the gates where harder to find
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(westgl @ May 9 2009, 08:06 AM) *

I was test driving my 71' 914 tailshifter after enrichining the fuel inj.

As I was driving shifted to 4th and nothing, like it was in neutral, could not find another gear.

I expect that rear cover and the roll pin either came out or broke.

before this happened it wold shift ok when it was cold but when it warm up it would become more vauge and sloppy, the gates where harder to find

Did you replace the bushing next to the tail piece? If it fails you will have a simular problem.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.