Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to remove door sill plates
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Brisco914prc
I'm stripping a 914 built 6/73, it has the aluminum door sill plates and I want to keep them. What's the best way to remove them? Very small drill, and drill out the rivets? Is there any glue under the plates or are they only held on by the rivets?

Interestingly, the rivets holding the plates are black. Brett Johnson's book indicates they used white rivets on the aluminum plates and then switched to black rivets with the plastic plates.

Thanks,

davesprinkle
QUOTE(Brisco914prc @ May 8 2009, 07:13 AM) *

I'm stripping a 914 built 6/73, it has the aluminum door sill plates and I want to keep them. What's the best way to remove them? Very small drill, and drill out the rivets? Is there any glue under the plates or are they only held on by the rivets?

Interestingly, the rivets holding the plates are black. Brett Johnson's book indicates they used white rivets on the aluminum plates and then switched to black rivets with the plastic plates.

Thanks,

The factory used rivets only. No glue. If you're a CW-type, you'll want to get plastic rivets to reinstall. The rest of us just use std aluminum pop-rivets.
Porsche Rescue
If you still have the black plastic rivets, you don't need a drill. Use a very small nail and hammer and tap the center pin all the way through the rivet. Then you can pull it out with your fingers.
You can even recyle if you are very careful, at least on the rocker panel rivets. Save the rivet and pin and simply tap it in again to expand the rivet. Can't remember if they fall free on the sill plates or not. They may be lost in the boxed longitudinal.
Here is the place to get new black rivets. I just got a set of white ones for my '70. Fast shipping and good price from one of our vendors. http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...c=57428&hl=
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.