Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ALMOST blew my engine....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Joe Bob
So, taking a break from the fires I took a chance to go down to SmelLA to catch a Dodger game. Had four tickets so I invited my Momz and three brothers. Hope to see them extend the win streak and see Manny.....strike one.....

Manny got suspended in the AM, didn't hear about it until it was announced on the radio.....

Just about downtown I got off the freeway, and I'm getting low oil pressure...WTF. Pull into the Chevron gas station and get out of the car......

See pic......

IPB Image

Strike twoo............
Joe Bob
So, I blew the bottom oil line from the oil tank. Split a 2 inch crack on top and when I stopped on a bit off a slope, what was left in the tank, left the building.

Did an emergency repair, slip a sleeve over the original line, filled it with oil and got to Phillipe's famous sandwich shop and had dinner.....ball 1 and 2....

Dodgers open the first inning with 6 runs includingg a grand slam....then proceeded to stink it up.

Lost 11-8.....we can call that a dropped 3rd strike....made it home with the repair intact. Looking for the oil line now online....
Cap'n Krusty
I got your oil hose, right here .....................

No, really. I have one. The Cap'n
McMark
Wow, that SUCKS!!! Glad you saved it though.
Joe Bob
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ May 8 2009, 08:29 AM) *

Need two....was looking for the one that I should have had 914/6....no joy.
EdwardBlume
Nice save on the engine and getting to the ball park! Sorry the D's lost and Ramroid won't be able to provide a lift for awhile.
watsonrx13
Sorry to hear about your engine problem, but good catch that you didn't have any permanent damage...

-- Rob
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(mikez @ May 8 2009, 09:47 AM) *

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ May 8 2009, 08:29 AM) *

Need two....was looking for the one that I should have had 914/6....no joy.

Well, I have the one for the 911 ................ The Cap'n
Joe Bob
So here's my cheap ass repair....

effutuo101
Nice save and great temporary patch. Could have been a lot worse.

The Dodgers could have won..... poke.gif
Actually, I had to look up who the Dodgers where. I thought they where a dodgeball team. biggrin.gif My wife is the sports fan.
Joe Bob
As long as she hates the SF Giants she may be allowed to live....oh yeah,,,she needs to hate the Yankees and just loathe the Red Sox....
rick 918-S
Nice patch job. A true pinky lifter could not have pulled of that brain storm.

How close are the fires to your house?
Joe Bob
Thanks...did I mention I had to take a City bus to the local Auto Zone? I had my .357 strapped to my ankle and had to buy a case of 20/50 Castrol...not my favorite.....

I spent most of my repair time on the bus and convincing the AZ guy that YES, this was a Porsche and the line wasn't for water.....and NO I wasn't an idjut driving thru Boyle Heights.....

Actual fix was like 7 minutes, not including filling the oil tank and heating up the engine to get the thermostat to open....

Of course I had to seriously wipe the stain off of my shorts when I got out the door and saw the oil spilling out. I didn't know WHAT to think blew.....

AS to the fires.....I face the beach on "the mesa" ......we face south and the fires are to the north in the foothills. The winds are driving them east to west....as long as it doesn't do a 90, I be cool......3 miles away.
watsonrx13
QUOTE(mikez @ May 8 2009, 07:29 PM) *

As long as she hates the SF Giants she may be allowed to live....oh yeah,,,she needs to hate the Yankees and just loathe the Red Sox....

Go Tampa Bay RAYS.... aktion035.gif

-- Rob
strawman
From an unabashed (and often humiliated!) Giants fan, the Dodgers are nuthin without Manny ar15.gif Did the Dodgers actually lose to Barry Zito last night? Wow, and he only topped 88 mph with his fastball a few times! poke.gif

I love that "poke" icon... I just wish the poker was Orange-n-Black and the pokee was a deeper blue!

Heh, heh, heh...

QUOTE(mikez @ May 8 2009, 05:29 PM) *

effutuo101
She hates the S.F Giants. She is actually a Padre's girl having grown up in San Diego. Her Grandmother was a huge fan and used to take her to games. It takes all sorts.

Riding the bus? Wow, you are a brave man. I like the fact that the fix only took 7 minutes. Cool.
Katmanken
You are a lucky guy.

If ya gotta have a catastrophic oil line break, you were lucky enough to notice it before it was too late...

If ya gotta have a line break, you were lucky enough to have it in a position that the sleeve fix would work. My stuff always breaks where you can't fix it...

You were lucky the FIRST store had the parts. My last parts hunt took 5 stores, 3 of which listed the parts on line....

And, you were lucky enough to get the whole mess fixed without endig up being covered with oil and grit from head to toe.....

Unless there is something you aren't telling us.... biggrin.gif

Seriously, sounds like a sucky experience, but glad everything came out OK.

If'n I was you, I'd drive that luckymobile down to to the store and buy a lottery ticket...

Might be a little luck left in the oiled, er i mean old girl...

Ken

Joe Bob
Ohh, I WAS covered in oil....I had a change of clothes for the game....
So.Cal.914
ALMOST blew my engine....

Now that's Love. biggrin.gif
Joe Bob
Yeah....burned my lips, too.... lol-2.gif
DBCooper
QUOTE(mikez @ May 8 2009, 05:29 PM) *

A Dodger fan hating the Yankees? Why? They're both cut from the same cloth, both high bidders in auctions for overpaid stars with asterisks. At least the Giants and A's asterisks are home grown. poke.gif
Joe Bob
I've been a fan since 1963.....when I went to my first game. They were family owned then. I knew every player's stats and followed them religiously. When they were sold by the O'Malley's I was disapointed but they were the LAST family owned team left.

The corporate world is all invasive, resistance is futile....
jimtab
I think I might be able to enjoy an occasional baseball game if they would put a shot clock on the pitchers....JESUS just throw the fuchin ball! Playing base ball is great, watching is like watching paint dry....now Rugby....that's a game....
Joe Bob
So here's the postmortem....pics show a crack and I'm "told" it's common and there is a seam there. I don't see a seam, inside or out on the old one or the replacement from Pelican....WTF?

I assume the line is 25+ years old as this was original to the 83 SC when I had the 3.0 in it.

I bought two, they were cheap....I think my business partner may need one if his is as old as mine....his ride is a 74 and also has a 3.6.
Katmanken
One way to make hoses is to take an unvulcanized hose of the right ID and OD and place it on a bent wire form with the wire frame inside the hose.

The bent wire form forces the hose to the curves. Place the hose in the oven to vulcanize it (make it hard) and as the hose heats up, it gets soft, the curves smooth out and the hose sets up and hardens.

Take the hose out of the oven and cool. Remove the wire form.

The wire form might be right where a piece of the wireform was pressing during the forming process and a small dimple line or seam might result.

Yes, I have used a heat gun on hoses, and you can move them a little.

Ken
Joe Bob
Yeah...good advice.

I'm just glad I was able to get it stopped before I fried the motor, got the McGiver parts to get it home and have an easy fix. It needed an oil change anyways.....
Katmanken
Buy that Mr Lucky lottery ticket yet?

Kentucky powerball is over 100 million. If you buy one in Kentucky, be sure to say "Nice tooth" to the 30 year old lady behind the counter when buying yer ticket.

Dang, I might have to buy one to get some money coming in....

Let me practice.... nice tooth..... nice tooth... nice tooth.....

Ken
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.