Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Are the rear targa top clips diff for early and late cars?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
computers4kids
I restored my targa top when I painted my 914 and dropped the v-8 in. Anyway, while getting things together to go to the WCR, I attempted to put the targa top on for the first time. Suprise, the rear of the lid wouldn't sit down...it stuck up in the rear. I thought at first it was just out of adjustment or tight because of all the new seals.

It all made sense when I looked at a rear latch (part that bolts to the targa top itself) compared to one on a junk lid I had. The bracket itself is identical on both lids, but the rubber is significantly taller on my lid. The rubber looks new on both latches, but taller??? Did early lids take a different height rubber, and perhaps I ended up with a pair of them. My tub is a 75.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
SirAndy
Yes, early tops are very different than later tops. There's a thread here somewhere comparing them in detail.

You can't mix match them, they won't fit right.
shades.gif Andy
bandjoey
Want to SWAP?
I've been wondering why my lid was looooose and I've been racking my brain trying to figure out how to adjust the clip when there's no adjustment. My top bumpers have the smaller rubber like in your picture. If you have a pair with the tall bumpers, I'll mail you and we'll swap out. Bill
computers4kids
QUOTE(bandjoey @ May 8 2009, 10:33 PM) *

Want to SWAP?
I've been wondering why my lid was looooose and I've been racking my brain trying to figure out how to adjust the clip when there's no adjustment. My top bumpers have the smaller rubber like in your picture. If you have a pair with the tall bumpers, I'll mail you and we'll swap out. Bill

I think I have a late lid with early latches (top part with rubber) as pictured. Somewhere in my rebuild I must have switched them because the ones I have look new, and is flexible. My big issue is I'm leaving Friday morning for the WCR. I was thinking of just cutting the rubber with a razor blade to the correct height. The brackets are identical other than that.

I guess this is what I get for waiting till now to see how the lid fit...my last car (74) I never put the lid on but once or twice in two years. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.