Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Whacked the 76 today....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Joe Bob
At home because of the fires....So the shell gets the whack....kept the front end to do some more surgery.....

BTW, a first, I didn't hurt myself or even bleed.... beerchug.gif
maf914
Z,

Those pics are a little scary to me since I have a malaga red 76! laugh.gif

That chassis looks pretty solid. After seeing some of the extreme rustoration projects it looks almost new. Why is it being cut up? idea.gif

If you have the time and energy how about cutting through the rear shock towers and posting some photos. I never completely understood the descriptions of structural weakness in that area.
Joe Bob
Already at the crusher....sorry...

It was rusty in the hell hole. I offered it for free to anyone who wanted it. No takers...
computers4kids
Hey Mike,
If you're just tossing that tub...how about cutting a piece off for me and bringing it to the WCR? I need 12" horizontally dead center of the rear trunk and down to the bend.

Edit: I guess I should read all the responses before posting.
Joe Bob
IPB Image

THE above is ALL that is left, everything else went to the crusher....
jasons
If you cut that last piece, I might be interested in the passenger door jamb/post, that part of the Long and the wheel well. I tried to show it in the pic, but I'm not sure its clear what I would want. Shipping could make it cost prohibitive though.
Joe Bob
Could probably box it and ship it on Greyhound......
davesprinkle
I'll take the -6 heater boxes from ya...
Joe Bob
Sorry, they go on the original sixer above.....the 76 sacrificed itself for parts. Just need a windshield now.....

jasons
QUOTE(mikez @ May 9 2009, 08:30 AM) *

Could probably box it and ship it on Greyhound......

Actually, I bet the cut I want could go UPS too. Whats your plan for that chunk?
SirAndy
QUOTE(mikez @ May 9 2009, 07:49 AM) *

I offered it for free to anyone who wanted it. No takers...

Same story, every time. A lot of people bitch when you cut up a car, but *nobody* is willing to take them off your hands, even when they're free.

I don't get it ...
dry.gif Andy
hcdmueller
If I still lived in the states my wife would probably leave me. I would take every free and nearly free 914 I could get my hands on.

She knows this so we keep living in Germany. Eventually I will have my way.
markb
We're cutting up 3 right now. If you see something you want, PM or email me on Monday & I'll see if it's there.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Katmanken
Dang,

Between the sawzalls and the deviant drivers, there ain't gonna be any teeners left....

veltror
I saved mine...
ericread
QUOTE(maf914 @ May 9 2009, 05:59 AM) *

If you have the time and energy how about cutting through the rear shock towers and posting some photos. I never completely understood the descriptions of structural weakness in that area.

Take a look at Jeff Bowlsby's site: http://members.rennlist.com/914_collectibles/

Click on "Sections" and I think you'll find what you're looking for. BTW: Take a look at Jeff's other collections. It's a pretty amazing site!!!

Eric Read
Richard Casto
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 9 2009, 01:51 PM) *

QUOTE(mikez @ May 9 2009, 07:49 AM) *

I offered it for free to anyone who wanted it. No takers...

Same story, every time. A lot of people bitch when you cut up a car, but *nobody* is willing to take them off your hands, even when they're free.

I don't get it ...
dry.gif Andy

Most likely it's because these are west coast cars. If that car had been on the east coast it would have been snapped up in no time. I haven't seen the hell hole on that car, but I am guessing it was in better shape than my car even after a year or more of body work.

It's sad, but I don't blame Mike for cutting it up. Especially if he offered it up to any taker. You guys just live in a different world with respect to what is available to you and what ends up being consider repairable vs parts car. So that’s why people like me on the other side of the country cringe when we see cars like that cut up.

With that being said... Anyone have the section on the driver side rear fender that has the notch for the door handle that they can send my way from one of those nice California "parts cars". wink.gif
boxstr
Mike, if you didn't already know the dealer has factory windshield that are somewhat reasonable.
CCL
Joe Bob
QUOTE(boxstr @ May 9 2009, 08:05 PM) *

Mike, if you didn't already know the dealer has factory windshield that are somewhat reasonable.
CCL

I can get replacement glass easily. Was trying to get a Sigla original....the anti-CW in me wants to hurl....but that's what I'm looking for.
jasons
Upon further review, I'll pass on that cut. After a closer look, the car that I wanted it for is worse than I remembered. I have a cleaner shell.

horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(mikez @ May 9 2009, 09:11 PM) *

QUOTE(boxstr @ May 9 2009, 08:05 PM) *

CCL

I can get replacement glass easily. Was trying to get a Sigla original....the anti-CW in me wants to hurl....but that's what I'm looking for.

That's that I just bought at the dealer, Sigla windshield. I think the price had a 4 on the front of it. I thought about cheaper options, but the savings didn't look so good once I added up all the stuff I was doing (new trim, clips, spacers, etc. plus pro install). Best part was driving over to my local dealer instead of paying for shipping...

YMMV
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.