Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 West Coast Classic 2004
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JeffBowlsby
San Francisco Bay Area

Many people from the 914 Club have worked diligently to bring you this 914 WCC 2004, and we are excited!

The event webpage at the link below is the most current information about the event. Only a few of the finer points remain to be finalized, but we are almost there. We wanted to give you the maximum time to make plans to join us.

You might wait a day or two to contact the Pruneyard Inn for reservations, they may still be processing the paperwork for our group.

Please be sure to check back on or after March 19 for the registration materials.

http://914world.com/westcoastclassic/

See you there! Help make this the largest gathering of 914s in one place anywhere in 2004!!!

cool.gif cool.gif cool.gif cool.gif cool.gif cool.gif cool.gif cool.gif cool.gif cool.gif
rick 918-S
OMG! It's official!
ChrisReale
Nice work smilie_pokal.gif
Bleyseng
The site looks great!!

Geoff
Gint
Nice work gang. beerchug.gif
seanery
web button
DNHunt
You guys have done a great job. Many thanks. I can't wait. I hope to be bringing the whole family.

Dave
double-a
this is awesome! great site, and i love the logo.
Gint
QUOTE(seanery Posted on Mar 1 2004 @ 06:58 AM)
web button  

I'll get the web button placed by Wednesday Sean.
seanery
danke
rhodyguy
i'm looking at a map. a few years back my wife and i were in s.j and we rented a miata. while driving up 1 from santa cruz we went east on hw 84 to cut back to the bay area. the road from Skylonda to woodside was a real fun drive. is it called Sand Hill rd? is this a road we might want to consider?

kevin
JeffBowlsby
Thats one of many incredible Bay Area 914 roads Kevin. We won't have time to do that particular road during the WCC, this year. But next year, if the event happens then (and I hope this will become an annual event), we will plan for a road tour that may include that route or others just as superb... cool.gif
EdwardBlume
Skyline and 84 are popular routes for rice rockets and porsches alike.

Be assured there will be plenty of curves on the AX course. MDB2.gif
mightyohm
Will the AX require stuff like tech inspection and helmets? I know a lot of people would probably want to participate in the AX that have never done AX before (like me). Having a pre event tech checklist and helmets available for rent/borrow might be a good idea.
Demick
The autox will require an on-site tech inspection. Any safe, roadworthy car will pass. Generally, it includes:

- battery is properly fastened down
- firm brake pedal
- front wheel bearings properly adjusted
- no excessive oil leaks
- throttle return spring present and functioning
- adequate rubber on tires (no cording).
- M or SA helmet with SNELL 95 or later sticker.
- probably a couple other items I'm forgetting

Helmets will be available as loaners - but if you already have one, bring it because we will probably be short on loaners and will need to rotate through loaner helmets as people drive.

We will have instructors available to ride with those who haven't autocrossed before. The whole event will be geared toward the fact that many participants will be first timers.

Demick
EdwardBlume
Demick's list is very comprehensive. If you are unsure about the condition of your car, have someone take a look at it. The most common problems that cause a tech inspection fail are: 1) loose battery 2) loose wheel berrings 3) brake issues and 4) sticking throttle.

Dont forget to take extra things out of your car. Wear comfortable clothing. Bring sunblock and water, and be ready to go that morning.

If you've never autocrossed before and would like to try one beforehand, visit GGR and LPR's websites for N Cal autocross events, or you local PCA region.

Its always a great event to see 914s in competition.
seanery
I did my first and only A/X with a frunt trunk full of:
Side Shift Tranny
Tools
Spare Parts
More Tools
Misc Crap.

LOL, my front end stand planted pretty well laugh.gif
3d914
Looks great guys! Nice job.

I guess the hopes for one of CA's fine road courses did not materialize - bummer! sad.gif

I just found out that our family reunion has been moved forward from August to July 4. Hope I can manage both so close together.

San Fran in June & Illinois in July. Just wish I could fit everyone in the teener.
rick 918-S
More news on this event coming soon... The glue is starting to set. That's all I'm sayin happy11.gif
rhodyguy
i plan on driving sand hill rd on thursday, 6/3/2004.

kevin
Scott Carlberg
IF you want to have the West Coast Classic advertised in AutoWeek, shoot an email
to:

carevents@crain.com
jonwatts
I wouldn't do it, those guys hate the 914.
DNHunt
Please, please don't take this as criticism. I really apreciate all your hard work and I'm looking forward to the WCC. I just need information.

I've been waiting to make reservations until I was registered. I'm planning on a week in SF with the family with the WCC being the grande finale. Will we be able to register soon? The web site still says March 19th for registration.

Sorry to bug you but the wife is getting a little up tight about flights for herself and my daughter.

Thanks

Dave
seanery
very soon, the details are being finalized and the reg form goes up incredibly soon.
DNHunt
Great, I'll keep checking
JeffBowlsby
Registration Forms, Event Flyers and a Banner Ad for linking from other websites are available on the event website for download NOW!!!

914 West Coast Classic 2004

Registration closes April 30th, 2004, so don't delay.

See you there!

:cool: :cool: :cool:
rick 918-S
I heard a rumor someone is bringing ah... there.... Oh I can't say! I promised.... happy11.gif
EdwardBlume
Rich, do we have a headcount yet?
JeffBowlsby
Headcount? WatchUmean? confused24.gif
rhodyguy
if the number of stickers requested is any indication of attendence, there is going to be a huge turn out. after those stickers and the remaining are gone, that's it. there won't be any more except the ones on ebay with a $25 reserve.

kevin
EdwardBlume
Jeff, how many people are signed up so far? How many for the AX?
Bleyseng
Oh come on its always last minute. I am waiting for an answer from Monique on whether she is coming or not. Looks like she will be back in the Netherlands then soooo I am waiting for her final decision.
I will be there.

Geoff
AZ914
Yeah, I'll probably decide near the end of the month as well.. Gotta figure out how to get my 914 across the desert in June. Unfortunately my tow vehicle is a Maxima so I gotta find someone with a truck. Otherwise, no go.. sad.gif
rick 918-S
This is going to be great. I can't imagine missing it. If you have a hair on your ass you'll be there. (even if you don't laugh.gif )
JeffBowlsby
Jeff, how many people are signed up so far? How many for the AX?

8 people are signed up as of this moment, with about 6 for the AX, but its still really early and new registrations are received every day or so. Watch for my thread that I update as new registrations are received. The previous poll indicated that about ~50 cars will show up with maybe ~70 people total including friends and family.

I am very excited ...the world has not seen a 914 gathering this big that I know of. We'll have our own dedicated 9:14 Breakfast, 914 club AX, Twisty-Road Tour. We will attend a Porsche Concours and Northern Californias largest annual swapmeet. Larry M is bringing his M471 914/6 GT, and there will be Fours, Sixers and Eights, plenty of mid-engine hardware to see and drool over. wink.gif Maybe even a few surprises...

Those of you who are waiting to register...PLEASE DONT DELAY! The event will benefit by your earlier commitment. If you are looking for a reason not to attend, then something will always keep you from attending. People on the fence will sign-up if they see how great this event will be and who is coming. Register today and if you need to modify your registration by the end of April that is easy enough to do...we will work something out.

cool.gif
RoadGlue
If the 914 is not auto-x'able, can we auto-x another car - i.e. my '73 Fiat 124 Sedan? smile.gif I'm prepping it (the Fiat) for an auto-x in July up in Oregon... I know, I'm a lame-o, but I'm taking the teener off the street soon to install suspension mods (have yummy SC parts on my shelf), do body work, etc. I can't stant watching auto-x's from the side lines!

Best,
seanery
I think we can make an exception. You'll have to wear a dunce cap, though! laugh.gif
RoadGlue
QUOTE(seanery @ Apr 7 2004, 05:18 PM)
I think we can make an exception. You'll have to wear a dunce cap, though!  :lol:

On top of, or underneath my helmet?
EdwardBlume
The official answer of running a Fiat is: Yes (*).

*The AX is a PCA event so the PCA rules go. You can run a non-P car so long as you are a card carrying member of PCA and its not too late to sign up.

OT- Isn't it kind of odd that you have a Fiat running but not the 914?
RoadGlue
QUOTE(cavwpguy @ Apr 7 2004, 09:57 PM)
OT- Isn't it kind of odd that you have a Fiat running but not the 914?

Hi Rob!

Quick answer is that "they are both running"

The longer version is that the 914's tires are just about showing cord, the inner trailing arm mount holes are elongated, the front strut inserts are toast, the anti-roll bar is crap, my ball joints have seen better days as have the bushings. The really good news is that I just bought a set of 15x7" ATS wheels (see photo below), have a SC front-end sitting on my shelf which includes: M-Calipers, new vented rotors, almost new Bilstein struts, SC sway bar, aluminum cross member, studs for early rear hubs, etc etc. I still have a few items to buy, such as ball joints, trailing arm bushings, sway bar bushings, caliper rebuild kit, and whatever else I'm forgetting.

The Fiat will be my daily driver here in the next few weeks, and at that time I'll pull the 914 off the road to swap suspensions, do a little body work (I've been watching the "How to roll your fender lip post" and hoping I won't have to get more drastic), replace the cracked windshield, replace slipping clutch... I just don't see it being ready for the WCC.

What my wheels look like (though mine are painted black and are five-lug):

IPB Image

So there ya have it.

Best,
JeffBowlsby
Speaking of AX, we seriously need volunteers to help with the AX. Rob Ways and Demick Boyden are leading this AX, but they can not begin to pull this event off alone. We need corner workers, timers, techs etc. Most of the AX participants will be newbies, so there is no need to feel unqualified. If you play, you work too.

So this is a plea and encouragement to everyone coming to the WCC AX, to find a local AX before the 914 WCC 2004 and get some experience beforehand, especially if you've never been to an AX before.

Here are the Bay Area AXs coming up before the WCC:

10 APR - GGR @ Alameda Point
17 APR - RR @ Sonoma Airport
25 April - LPR @ Marina
01 May - GGR @ Golden Gate Fields

Randy, its great to see you checking in, we hope you can attend the WCC. You and I joined the 914club on the very same day it looks like.

It would be really great if there is anyway possible for you to attend the WCC in a 914...the whole purpose of the WCC is to celebrate the 914. The front end swap can be done in a weekend and there are 8 of those between now and the WCC. Make it a goal...or even a competition...Richs 928 engine transplant vs Randys 5 lug conversion...

We hope you are both there with your 914s...
EdwardBlume
Randy, good hearing from you chief! Its been too long. I agree with Jeff- get your 914 on the road. Your pasta maker won't be the same to drive.

With the AX- Jeff's comments are dead on. Expect major delays in running unless we have at least 30% experienced folks running. Show up to the Marina event and I'll train folks personally.

Thanks,
R
DNHunt
I assume we are gonna run in a couple of groups. Won't the drivers from each group be corner workers for the other group. I know you still need other people to run the show.

Dave
Bleyseng
I can corner work, shit anyone can do that! I can also start or if need be run the timer. I'd rather corner work so I can stand there and BS.

Geoff beer3.gif
DNHunt
My son can probably work corners. I could do some of the other stuff.

Dave
dgw
I have some questions:
Are you using GGR autocross rules?
Are you running under their umbrella insurance policy?

If yes to the above, it seems like there might be some information that 914 folks might like to know before they get here. For example, isn't there some specific snell sticker requirement for helmets? I don't think my snell 85 stickered helmet is any good for a ggr autocross.

I expect there are other things. I haven't read the ggr AX rule book for years.
bernbomb914
I need the paypal address so I can pay my regestration fees

Bernie
VegasRacer
QUOTE(bernbomb914 @ Apr 26 2004, 07:44 PM)
I need the paypal address so I can pay my regestration fees

Go to https://www.paypal.com/ and then send the payment to bowlsby@aol.com
PatW
QUOTE(bowlsby @ Apr 8 2004, 04:23 AM)
Speaking of AX, we seriously need volunteers to help with the AX. Rob Ways and Demick Boyden are leading this AX, but they can not begin to pull this event off alone. We need corner workers, timers, techs etc.

I'm in.. wavey.gif I'd like to be a corner worker!. wavey.gif

Thanks. Pat
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.