Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: replacing fuel pump
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
scoobykvn
I just got a 1970 1.7 liter stock engine that I am putting in my 914 for temporary use. The car had a 2.0 liter carb'd that I am now rebuilding. My question is what type of fuel pump do I need to use ? Can I just get any fuel pump that supplies at least 28 psi? Is there anything else I should know about swapping a 1.7 injected for a 2.0 carb'd?
Joe Bob
Low pressure rotary style....3-5 psi. The 1.7 is a fuel injected pump and is high pressure.

Also, some people use the return line and others don't. Personal preference. You might want to consider an inline pressure regulator and a sight glass style fuel filter.
scoobykvn
The engine going in is fuel injected, stock 1.7. Don't I need a high pressure pump for that? I am removing the carb'd engine.
Joe Bob
Guess I need to read slower...yes, you need an FI pump, proper fuel lines, a return to the tank line and high pressure fuel filter.

When you rebuild the 2.0...get a proper cam for the carbs. The FI cam, if still in there, is not optimal.
silverteener
You will need a 3 port pump. I recently got for only 75.00 used. They are out there. good luck beerchug.gif
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(silverteener @ May 10 2009, 08:53 PM) *

You will need a 3 port pump. I recently got for only 75.00 used. They are out there. good luck beerchug.gif

Not true. You can use a 2 port pump such as was used on '75-'76 914s and a whole slew of L-jet VWs. Less than half the price, requires minimal plumbing mods. You still need the return line ..................

The Cap'n
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.