Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wiper assembly issues
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
djm914-6
While I had the fuel tank empty, I figured it was a good time to pull the wiper assembly do it can be cleaned and greased up. The tank is out and the air box thingy is out of the way but not completely removed (I didn't want to remove control wires.

I removed the wipers and nuts holding the assembly to the cowl but I can't remove it. I got the passenger side out but I can't get the drivers side all the way down and out. It's hanging on something. I can't seem to get in there enough to unplug the wires so I assume there is enough play to pull the assembly out first.

What am I doing wrong.

Now granted I'm also doing this between coats of paint on some odd and ends so I'm not putting too much concentration into it and I am a bit of a dunce when it comes to these things so I hope someone can shed some light.

Thanks,
r_towle
There is a 10mm nut that you have to get from inside the car...
It way up under the dash.

Rich
76-914
QUOTE(r_towle @ May 10 2009, 04:57 PM) *

There is a 10mm nut that you have to get from inside the car...
It way up under the dash.

Rich

I notice you didn't mention how fun much fun it is. lol-2.gif
Joe Owensby
You can pull the speedometer out, and access the nut through that hole with a long socket extension. It isn't a lot of fun, but can be done. JoeO
detoxcowboy
Make sure you keep the motor and rack allighned if you end up detaching the motor from the rack or even disconnecting its swivel arm from the rack when your greasing it.. You do not want to lose your wipers stop/start/return point before you bury the rack.. at least test your wipers whil everything is out of the way.. From error wwhen I replaced a wiper motor, I thought it was no brainer and it looked good until I actually went to use them and they would move down hit the front cowl beforew they went up to do their sweep. I had them installed but not in a complete finished cycle.. does not take much to lose your position..

after theyy are burried it is a bitch to try and fix without removing evrything.. I had to switch my wipers to the passenger side rather than remove everything aging..
djm914-6
Thank you!
djm914-6
Ok, I give up, It's not comming out even with the screw finally removed. I'm just going to clean it up in place and call it good.

This F'n car is getting the best of me.
r_towle
The nut , not screw needs to be removed from the wiper motor from inside the car.
That nut is on one end of a rubber spacer/vibration damper.
So, in order to get the thing out, the rubber piece needs to be removed so you can pull down on the unit.
Look at the other side of the rubber...you can get to it...its not easy, but its not impossible...I have done it (so it cant be impossible)

Rich
djm914-6
I did mean the nut. The screw I was thinking of was holding the Ventilation controls in place.

Removing the nut did nothing. It looks like the unit is hanging up on the wires ans those are in come sort of grommet going through the firewall and it won't budge.
r_towle
QUOTE(djm914-6 @ May 17 2009, 09:00 AM) *

I did mean the nut. The screw I was thinking of was holding the Ventilation controls in place.

Removing the nut did nothing. It looks like the unit is hanging up on the wires ans those are in come sort of grommet going through the firewall and it won't budge.

yup, you need to unplug that.
If its the control cables for the heater...those need to go also

RIch
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.