Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Time For a New Fuel Pump
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
AvalonFal
Fuel pump does not turn on with the ignition. When I put 12V directly to it, it gave it a short spin, then nothing. I don't know if that was the pump coming back to life or its last breath. Anyway, I've been wasting way too much driving time fooling around with the thing, so besides an original Bosch replacement pump, what's the best choice for a new pump? Car is a '74 2.0 with stock d-jet.

Paul
SirAndy
QUOTE(AvalonFal @ May 10 2009, 04:36 PM) *

Fuel pump does not turn on with the ignition.

The stock pump only runs when the engine runs. You should only hear it prime for a second with the key turned ...

When you put 12V to it, did it have fuel in it to pump?
shades.gif Andy
r_towle
If you have the early pump (I think the 74 does) that mounts under the car...your only choice is Bosch.

If you have the later, one in...one out pump...the one that mounts up front, you can get a few...I used a delco pump that was $170

the specs were 65 PSI continous...
Go to a decent parts store...look up the correct pump in the huge book of pumps...write does the specs, then look at Mercedes, volvo, VW, etc till you find a pump that matches the specs...

The specs are gonna be hose size, PSI, and GPH.

Rich
scoobykvn
I don't mean to hijack this post, but I have basically the same question. I have a 1970 that used to have a 2.0 carb'd but I am rebuilding it. I had the fuel pump up front, one in one out. Now I am installing a stock 1.7 injected, what specs should my fuel pump be? Can I still use an inline fuel pump or does it have to be the stock bosch pump?
SLITS
You need a hi-pressure pump. I would use the one in one out pump to replace the stock pump. All you lose is the "T" in the return line as you no longer need the hose from the pump pressure relief to be "Teed" into the return line.

High pressure pumps are questionable with the plastic lines though in '75 -'76 they moved it up front with plastic lines. Most, using the hipressure pump up front, run stainless or steel lines through the tunnel.

The single in single out is cheaper by far, both from FLAPS or eBay. You can also get the original style from AA, made in China for $200.
AvalonFal
QUOTE(SLITS @ May 10 2009, 10:33 PM) *

You need a hi-pressure pump. I would use the one in one out pump to replace the stock pump. All you lose is the "T" in the return line as you no longer need the hose from the pump pressure relief to be "Teed" into the return line.

High pressure pumps are questionable with the plastic lines though in '75 -'76 they moved it up front with plastic lines. Most, using the hipressure pump up front, run stainless or steel lines through the tunnel.

The single in single out is cheaper by far, both from FLAPS or eBay. You can also get the original style from AA, made in China for $200.

Anybody use this pump? Will it be OK for a '74 2.0L stock d-jet??

ebay

Paul
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(AvalonFal @ May 11 2009, 04:51 PM) *

QUOTE(SLITS @ May 10 2009, 10:33 PM) *

Anybody use this pump? Will it be OK for a '74 2.0L stock d-jet??

ebay

Paul

"They" "say" it will. The Cap'n
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.