Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Recommended tire size
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dereko88
Hey everyone-

This summer I'm working on getting my Dad's 1975 914 1.8 back up and running. But to get it anywhere it needs new tires. The originals (Michelin 165 SR 15 ZX) are still on them and completely shot. I've been reading up on what modern sizes people have put on their 914's and using this websites tire calculator to compare; and I've found that a lot of people go with something along the lines of 195/65/15 or 205/60/15. Isn't this a little big for the 914?

I'm mainly worried about the width. The originals are about 1.5" to 2" thinner on the tread than a 195/60/15. Does anyone have any advice whether it's preference or they think its necessary to go with a 195/65/15 or 205/60/15? And if that's the case, will it damage the car or the drive line over time at all? Let me know what you think. Thanks for the help in advance.

-Derek
Bruce Hinds
It all depends on what width wheels you are running. I think the steel wheels were 5" wide, Fuchs 4 bolt are 5.5". Diameter will affect the speedometer, so you want to be faily close to the origional size. Somewhere on here this site is a tire compute that will tell you all about speedo error compared to tire size and all the tire stores can give you the measurements.

As you go wider, go lower in profile. 185/70x15,195/60x15 205/50, you get the idea. 205 is about the widest you should run on a 5.5 or 6 inch wide wheel that may or may not fit under fender depending on which wheels you are using.

Porsche Rescue
Personally, unless I were planning to autocross or track the car, I would stick with stock size tires. The car's suspension and wheels were designed for 165's. There are few choices however. I like the Kuhmo available from several sources and Tire Rack online ($44 plus shipping). You can get the Michelin XZX at Coker tire but it is very spendy. It is the successor to the ZX and looks identical.
I have also used the 195/65 and if you must go wider it is the best choice. They are readily available from several manufacturers.

I really like the nimble feel of a 914 on the OE tire size. So much so that I just bought a set of 155's for my '70. That is the OE size for my 4.5" wheels.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.