Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT- 2 days til my 13 month Euro trip
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
seanery
I'm leaving for the UK on Wednesday - I'll be there for 13 months.

Anyone got any last minute advice before I leave?

thanks!!!
SirAndy
QUOTE(seanery @ May 10 2009, 09:50 PM) *

I hope you like Indian food. Or pizza.

Those are your two choices of eatable English food, everything else is a insult to your taste buds.
icon8.gif Andy

PS: And if you are the kind of guy who likes chocolate, make sure you read the fine print before you dive into it.
The UK allows pigs blood as a substitute for real cacao ...
rick 918-S
Have fun!
Rick_Eberle
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 11 2009, 02:54 PM) *

Those are your two choices of eatable English food, everything else is a insult to your taste buds.
icon8.gif Andy

Come on now... Bangers and Mash and Beef & Ale Pies are brilliant!

And how could anyone's taste buds be insulted if they come from a country that produces artificial spray-on butter? Or "non-dairy creamer" (what is that exactly???), or cheese that contains no milk products???

And don't get me started on Hershey Bars...
PeeGreen 914
Sounds like you will be gone a while. I hope you have a great time. I wish I could give you some advice but I've never gone out of Washington for more than a month let alone a year. Just have as much fuin as you can since this is for work beerchug.gif
johannes
Advices ?

Have fun !

Visit the country !

Visit other countries (Paris is 2 hours train away)

Stay tuned to 914World...

It's always a great experience in life to live in another country.

hcdmueller
Scotland is always worth the trip.

Ryanair and Easyjet are your two best friends.

Andy is right, Indian and Thai food are the best foods you can get in the UK.

If you end up spending more than a few days in Scotland PM me. I can recommend some good places to stay and places to eat.
veltror
"English" cuisine leaves a lot to be desired, but even I was un-prepared for the absolute crap I was served in the US. My four years spent in the States were an education in marketing above quality. Ranch Dressing WTF is that ? I was amazed at the number of times I would be served a nice crispy salad, only for it to be destroyed by Ranch dressing. Something akin to dripping Benzene on my salad. This is not say that all food was poor, but the majority was. I was fortunate to spend some time at the Culinary Institute of America courtesy of IBM, proof that good food did exist. What did concern me was things such a dairy-free ice cream, I hear half the population of Italy wanting to have words with the Gelati imposter. Spray on butter for my popcorn, and what used to crack me up the most was the sugar-free, sodium free and of course taste-free Cola, pointless. Interesting that somebody mentioned Hershey, a bitter, hard, tasteless brown substance which could contain a nuclear spill.

What you will find in the UK is a eye watering selection of food from the world, probably because English cuisine is so bad. Go to a good Indian Tandoori and explore, if you are in London go to Wong Kei in Soho, Chinese food which is great, tastes good but poor and rude service. I you require any suggestions feel free to ask. smile.gif
dbgriffith75
[I'm stating this having never tasted English food from the UK]

I think we can all agree that we've been raised to like food that our upbringing taught us to like. Even within the US there are people that don't like things like "dairy free" dairy products- I know because I'm one of them. I don't believe in substituting real ingredients. Same goes for "sugar free" cola.

These products are for the people in our society who are either lactose intolerant, or who want to eat like crap under the impression that they can still look good while doing so. Sad to say but yes, they do exist. And I like to give them crap about it.

Rick Eberle/Veltror- did either of you try a steak or hamburger here? And I'm not talking about some result of the end of a fast food prep line from McDonalds or Burger King. Did you go to a formal sit down restaurant and try one? I find it hard to believe that no matter where you come from, you can knock a real American steak or hamburger. A good restaurant will cook it to order and won't add anything but their own seasonings to give it the taste they want people to know them for. Of course there is no substitute for making your own, but certain restaurants can pull it off.

As for the Ranch dressing- all you've gotta do is ask for the dressing on the side. Plus, there's not very many restaurants that don't give you the choice of the dressing you want, so I'm guessing you asked for it. While I do like Ranch dressing I'm not as obsessed with it as some people, but it is a big hit here. There's a lot more uses for it than just on salads.
DBCooper
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 10 2009, 09:54 PM) *

icon8.gif Andy

PS: And if you are the kind of guy who likes chocolate, make sure you read the fine print before you dive into it.
The UK allows pigs blood as a substitute for real cacao ...

bs.gif Pigs blood? Are you kidding? Urban myth, but Cadbury's chocolate is not good, just like Hersheys, so eat the imported Swiss and German chocolates. No different than here.

I work for an English company (after twenty years working for German and French companies), and spend a LOT of time over there. If you don't go only to pubs then food can be quite good. The English are going through a food revolution just like the better restaurants in the U.S., so unless you eat only at low-end places you'll be fine. Oh, but avoid the "traditional" English breakfast. Low-end places there, beware, just like low-end places here.

As for advice, I'd say take plenty of clean underwear, an MP3 player of music you really like, and shoes with rubber soles. Everything else will take care of itself.
seanery
I've got peanut butter, my favorite mouthwash, soap & deodorant. I have a fixed gear bike there, but will be building a new road bike soon.
Rick_Eberle
QUOTE(dbgriffith75 @ May 11 2009, 10:44 PM) *

Rick Eberle/Veltror- did either of you try a steak or hamburger here? And I'm not talking about some result of the end of a fast food prep line from McDonalds or Burger King. Did you go to a formal sit down restaurant and try one? I find it hard to believe that no matter where you come from, you can knock a real American steak or hamburger.

You've got me on the steaks, but to quote Crocodile Dundee... "That's not a hamburger... THIS is a Hamburger!" (well it's ALMOST a direct quote!)

Click to view attachment

I'm sorry, but I was raised to believe that a "Hamburger With The Lot" should, by law (and simple common sense!) include Egg, Beetroot, and Pineapple... anything else would simply be offensive!
Rick_Eberle
Hey Sean,

Try all the local beers in the different towns!
carr914
Enjoy, Stay Safe, Drive on the Left side of the Road, See ya when you get back.

T.C.

Oh Yeah, Stay in Touch, with the Web, It's a Small World
sww914
Yeah, I'd say chase all the British booty possible, along with all the wayward Indian, French, Irish, Scottish, Welsh, Russian and any other kind of booty they have there. smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif
seanery
QUOTE(carr914 @ May 11 2009, 07:58 PM) *

Drive on the Left side of the Road.
T.C.

I'm actually a wee bit nervous about this. I'll be riding my bicycle a lot, and I'll have to remember to ride on the left - I'm afraid it will feel wrong!
dw914er
Have fun there smile.gif
balljoint
Get yourself an English - English Dictionary.

Hum the Benny Hill Theme song everywhere you go.

Keep your eyes peeled for ladies underwear on the balcony. smile.gif
inschool
Buy an Umbrella and some water shoes.

Visit Edinburgh, and Edinburgh college night clubs, <-- FUN TIMES!
Oh and MIND THE GAP
turboman808
Brother just got back from UK, Ireland and Scotland. Seems they ate alot of Thai food.

Come to think of it I took him and his girlfirend out for thai food last night.
shelby/914
I think you'll find the chineese food very good since there are a lot of folks who left Hong Kong to come to the UK. They have Safeway super markets so you can find most of the things you might want or a real close substitute. We visited there many times when we were stationed in Germany, and both of my daughters did a study abroad semester in London and we always had a great time. They are actually quite civilized you know. beerchug.gif O'yea buy a cell phone after you get there. Unless things have changed, no contracts, everything is prepaid and incoming calls don't use up minutes so friends from home can call you at US rates and costs you nada.
veltror
Right, American Steak proper hamburger, yep had some of those in a proper sit down place, very good but a man cannot eat steak alone. What used to enrage me was something called Monterray Jack "cheese" ugh, I am sure the EPA would have something to do with that.

Safeway, no longer exists was taken over by Morrisons. Use Sainsburys or Waitrose. much better.

Cell phone nope call it a mobile, Tmobile do SIM only one month rolling cards for about 20 pounds a month, good value. And to the poster who told you to avoid the Fried English Breakfast, No Way!!!

Fried eggs, sausage, baked beans, mushrooms, romato and proper bacon ( I have no idea WTF bacon is in the US but it does not come from something which used to have a Central nervous system.

However I do miss JOLT Cola, poke.gif
TJB/914
QUOTE(seanery @ May 10 2009, 08:50 PM) *

thanks!!!

Seanery,

Enjoy yourself & give us your travel schedule.
UK first than where?? etc. It would be nice to track you accross the globe. smilie_pokal.gif

Tom
seanery
We hit 21 countries while on the European leg, maybe 22 if the Ireland dates come through. After the Euro leg we will put the stuff on a boat and head for Japan. The last I saw we had 7 or 8 weeks in Japan, but heard there may be more.

I don't have the exact info on when & where on this computer, but when I get over there I can get my desktop unpacked and post a schedule.

Thanks for all of the encouragement fellas!
DBCooper
QUOTE(veltror @ May 12 2009, 02:41 AM) *
And to the poster who told you to avoid the Fried English Breakfast, No Way!!!

Fried eggs, sausage, baked beans, mushrooms, romato and proper bacon ( I have no idea WTF bacon is in the US but it does not come from something which used to have a Central nervous system.

Not the "fried" breakfast, the "traditional English" breakfast or sometimes the "fry up". But why did you neglect to mention the blood pudding (gag)? icon8.gif And that those bangers are gruel stuffed and then marinated overnight in oil, and that those fried eggs are served covered with a fine sauce of glistening hot oil. blink.gif What you refer to as "baked beans" are known here as canned "pork and beans", and together with warmly sauteed tomatoes? (blech, retch retch). confused24.gif I do give you the bacon, though. The U.S. bacon is really belly meat (pork bellies) while the English bacon is what we refer to as Canadian bacon (almost ham) with a piece of belly meat attached, kind of dangling. I like both. But the blood pudding? For breakfast? While fighting a hangover? barf.gif Screw the Queen, God save us all.

In all honesty I don't think the English even eat that traditional breakfast any more. These days I think it's served in hotels, and mostly to tourists.

EDIT: Before I offend everyone who's English please note in my earlier post I said I do like most "modern" English food. But I think most everyone agrees that the old traditional stuff left a lot to be desired. (I'm trying to be diplomatic in my choice of words there). And that I'm also in full agreement that a lot of our chain restaurants in the U.S., and some of our traditional meals, aren't real good. Unless of course you're trying to keep your weight up, in which case they have no equal.
So.Cal.914

thanks!!!

Have Fun!
Katmanken
Make sure you order the correct amount of toast when the waiter says.....

"Toast?", "One rack or two?"

As for food, try the pie shops, and the fish and chips.
AJB
Which part of the UK are you visiting first? (And may I take this opportunity to remind people that the United Kingdom is not just England, but includes Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland - hence the word "United".... poke.gif )
I'm fairly sure many Americans just "do London", and there are many sites to visit in and around the Capital - Buckingham Palace, Tower Bridge, Windsor Castle etc., but there are also many other places of interest around the country. I agree that Edinburgh is beautiful (but then I'm biased as that's where I'm from!). The Scottish Highlands offer spectacular and dramatic scenery, as does much of Wales. The Lake District in the North West of England and the North Yorkshire Moors and Yorkshire Dales in the North East are also extremely picturesque, but of course what you do is dependent on how long you have here and what your interests are. If you have a bit of time then hire a car (or a bike) and get out of London. Let us know what you are interested in and I'm sure we can point you in the right direction.

As for the food, yes there are some shit places, but there's some nice ones too. Thai, Chinese and Indian food are popular, as are Pizza, Burgers, Kebabs etc., but again it depends what you want. Traditional British food is of course available, and the quality will vary wildly depending on where you go. The fried breakfast is still traditional in most hotels, but normally as one of many options. Black Pudding is not compulsory (thank God), but apparently some people actually like it. Lots of London hotels offer the even healtier pancake or waffle option to cater for the American guests...

Of course, we know you're interested in 914's so don't forget the 914 International event in Bad Honnef, Germany on May 22nd - 24th (if you're over in time), which is celebrating the 40th anniversary, and you should still be in Europe for the 2010 event, which I believe is due to be held in the UK.

And please let me know if you need anything.

Alastair.

Oh - make sure you have a great time!
bobhasissues
QUOTE(seanery @ May 10 2009, 08:50 PM) *

thanks!!!

Don't eat anything with your hands (even pizza). People will look at you like you are some kind of caveman.
Speak quietly.
Beer is not "cold".
hcdmueller
After living in England for 3+ years I actually have more trouble driving on the right instead of the correct (left) side of the road. That is one of the things they have 100% correct. That and roundabouts (traffic circles). You should get used to it pretty quick. Or you may never be able to (like some of my friends).

There is so much to see in the UK that my wife and I still visit regularly from Germany. You should meet all the people and drink all of the different beers. I am biased but the Highlands of Scotland are the best place to visit. Edinburgh is a close second. So if you have a chance make the trip.
ConeDodger
Have fun! Start a thread with Seanery's Most Excellent Adventure to post pics and keep us all posted.

Try the food. It is part of the culture and richness you are about to experience. Avoid the chain restaurants if you want to experience anything of the real culture.

As for dairy-free dairy and spray on butter, I am American, I have traveled extensively. I did not know these existed. I hardly find that an indictment of American food. Real Monterey Jack cheese from Monterey California is quite good. Ranch is better as a dipping sauce than a salad dressing...

As for the description of what the UK means, I agree, that is accurate. But, at least half of Northern Ireland doesn't refer to itself as part of the UK. I am speaking here on behalf of "Irish Bob" who was one of my students and is standing in my office. He says "Fook you, ya wanker!" His words, literally. biggrin.gif
underthetire
Chocolate..WE have sees candies.

One of the best !

http://www.sees.com/
seanery
I did research a few months ago, trying to find out the difference between England, UK & Great Britain. There's a good wiki article about it. I was surprised, actually.

Here's the schedule from load-in Friday through Christmas, which is in Paris!

REHEARSAL WK 1 York
REHEARSAL WK 2 York
REHEARSAL WK 3 York
REHEARSAL WK 4 York
TECH WK 1 Edinburgh
TECH WK 2 Liverpool
GLASGOW SECC
NEWCASTLE Metro Radio Arena
NOTTINGHAM Trent FM Arena
SHEFFIELD Sheffield Arena
MANCHESTER Evening News Arena
LONDON o2 Arena
BIRMINGHAM NIA
LIVERPOOL Liverpool Echo Arena
LONDON Wembley Arena
(Maintenance week of Sept 1)
ANTWERP Sportpaleis
ROTTERDAM Ahoy
ZURICH Hallenstadion
GOTHENBURG Scandinavium
COPENHAGEN Forum
STOCKHOLM Globe
OSLO Spektrum Arena
ST PETERSBURG St Petersburg Arena
TALLINN Saku Arena
HELSINKI Hartwall Arena
VILNIUS Siemens Arena
RIGA Arena
BERLIN o2 Arena
MANNHEIM SAP Arena
PARIS Bercy
AJB
QUOTE(bobhasissues @ May 12 2009, 10:03 PM) *

Don't eat anything with your hands (even pizza). People will look at you like you are some kind of caveman.
Speak quietly.
Beer is not "cold".

Yes- that's true. But first let me know where you'll be so I can let the locals know and we can all come laugh at the Americans eating pizza with a knife and fork....

No, untrue. There are some supposedly upmarket places that sell expensive pizza (along with other expensive stuff), where some people will try to eat pizza with cutlery as they think it will offend their date if they use their hands (which they would much rather do). Meanwhile their date is thinking exactly the same thing.

As for the beer not being cold, that depends on what you call beer. If you like the light brown / golden / amber beers (Bud, Miller, Fosters etc.) then you want a lager - and this is generally served cold. If you like a darker beer then you want some bitter or some real ale - and this is more likely to be served at room temperature (certainly with real ale). If you go into a pub and just ask for a beer it's probable that you will only be offered the bitter & real ale options, so ask for lager if that's your thing. Or Bud - we have that.
seanery
I'm an IPA drinker, so I assume I have to get used to warm beer!
So.Cal.914
But first let me know where you'll be so I can let the locals know and we can all come laugh at the Americans eating pizza with a knife and fork....

av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif Funny stuff mate.

AJB
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ May 12 2009, 10:27 PM) *

As for the description of what the UK means, I agree, that is accurate. But, at least half of Northern Ireland doesn't refer to itself as part of the UK. I am speaking here on behalf of "Irish Bob" who was one of my students and is standing in my office. He says "Fook you, ya wanker!" His words, literally. biggrin.gif

If you could remind "Irish Bob" that I am a Scotsman, and many of us Scots don't refer to Scotland as a part of the UK either - but at the moment it is, and I was dealing with facts. As a Scotsman I get frustrated with the seemingly constant confusion between the UK, Britain and England and the way they seem to be interchangeable. Seanery said he was visiting the UK, and several responses (not all) referred to England and the English, so I was making a subtle point that the UK is not just England. Does he still think I'm a wanker?
ConeDodger
QUOTE(AJB @ May 12 2009, 02:19 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ May 12 2009, 10:27 PM) *

If you could remind "Irish Bob" that I am a Scotsman, and many of us Scots don't refer to Scotland as a part of the UK either - but at the moment it is, and I was dealing with facts. As a Scotsman I get frustrated with the seemingly constant confusion between the UK, Britain and England and the way they seem to be interchangeable. Seanery said he was visiting the UK, and several responses (not all) referred to England and the English, so I was making a subtle point that the UK is not just England. Does he still think I'm a wanker?

Irish Bob says that if you're a Scot your alright. If you were a Brit you'd be not only a wanker but he'd have to "shove a petrol bomb up your arse". I personally agree that much of the world has no clue what the difference between the UK and England is. biggrin.gif
Katmanken
Oh yeah, one more thing......

Get some sun while you can, and take some cans of sunshine with you.

You can always spot the Brits at the airport in Spain. They have the reddest most painful looking sunburns from trying to get as much sun as they can on their holiday. After they get their tickets, they go lay in the grass in front of the airport trying to get just a little bit more sun before they get on the plane...... OUCH!!!!! blink.gif sad.gif sad.gif

Hmm..... only mad dogs and englishmen go out in the noonday sun....
scottb
black pepper. go to tesco or asda once you get there and buy a couple of shakers to keep with you. there is no black pepper on the tables at restaurants. white pepper just isn't the same.....

otherwise have a blast. the uk is a great place. your first stop in york is a great one. go to the shambles area. all the old buildings tilting at odd angles yet still inhabited and used as dwellings and shops!

cheers,

scott

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.