Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Transmission Questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
banger
I inherited a side shift transmission from a friend, which had been sitting for over 20 years. He couldnt remember if it was any good or not. I opened it up to take a look, and was looking for some insight from the transmission gurus. Could you tell me if the dog teeth look ok? To me they look a little worn, but still seem to have good teeth on them. The synchro ring looks pretty warn, and the inside of the slider, which contacts the ring shows some wear.
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
Cap'n Krusty
The dog teeth and the operating sleeve are both worn out. The Cap'n
Chris Pincetich
I'm no guru, just a nutty gearhead who has some experience here
Pic 1-2 shows worn teeth. You want "dog teeth" meaning sharp points, you have dog nubs.
Pic 3 is the expensive one. Teeth/nubs showing not sharp, but the wear is also very apparent on the mating surface, the first 3-5 mm back from the tooth point.
You can swap worn teeth and synchro rings for 2-5th gears, 2nd is usually much more worn than 5th.
I'm sure others with more advice will chime in beerchug.gif
banger
Thanks for the help. Looks like I will have to pull apart the other transmission, and look for some parts.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.