Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Thinking about buying a turnkey 3.0 motor....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
montoya 73 2.0
I was looking on the web and found a Porsche engine rebuilder in Downey Cali. called Motor Meister. Does anyone know these people and/or know if their motors are reliable? No disrespect to them but I would like to see some references from people in the club, if possible.

Motor Meister, Porsche Engine Rebuilder
hydroliftin
QUOTE(montoya 73 2.0 @ May 11 2009, 12:20 PM) *

I was looking on the web and found a Porsche engine rebuilder in Downey Cali. called Motor Meister. Does anyone know these people and/or know if their motors are reliable? No disrespect to them but I would like to see some references from people in the club, if possible.

Do a search on "motormeister" and I think you will find your answer. They do not have the best reputation.
montoya 73 2.0
I did and i didn't see anything. maybe i didn't spell it right. Thank you!

QUOTE(hydroliftin @ May 11 2009, 12:24 PM) *

Do a search on "motormeister" and I think you will find your answer. They do not have the best reputation.

Rav914
Do a search on Pelican Parts 911 technical forum. Search for "Motor Meister" and "Motor Schiester". Sit back, relax, and take a couple hours to read the first-hand accounts. Then be grateful you asked the question.
montoya 73 2.0
Oh Hell! I guess I did spell it wrong when I did the initial search. Doesn't look so good so far! Damn. Reputation is everything these days. Thanks guys (and Gals)! I appreciate the 411.

QUOTE(Rav914 @ May 11 2009, 12:29 PM) *

Do a search on Pelican Parts 911 technical forum. Search for "Motor Meister" and "Motor Schiester". Sit back, relax, and take a couple hours to read the first-hand accounts. Then be grateful you asked the question.

Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(montoya 73 2.0 @ May 11 2009, 12:37 PM) *

Oh Hell! I guess I did spell it wrong when I did the initial search. Doesn't look so good so far! Damn. Reputation is everything these days. Thanks guys (and Gals)! I appreciate the 411.

QUOTE(Rav914 @ May 11 2009, 12:29 PM) *

Roy and his crew of scalawags have worked hard for that reputation! You'll be hard pressed to find a good recommendation anywhere on a Porsche related forum.

The Cap'n
MDG
One of the most derided names in the business. No personal experience but after you've read 20 or 30 horror stories - and some of them include scenes of catastrophic failure - that's good enough to get an idea I think.
ConeDodger
It may be "turnkey" but I wouldn't stand too close when you do turn that key. lol-2.gif
aircooledtechguy
Sounds like this place is to the Porsche community what GEX International is to the VW community. barf.gif
pete-stevers
run from MM...
but having said that the three litre is awesome
i can't belive any one would want any bigger
...but by next winter mine will be a 3.2
ArtechnikA
You may be paying for "turnkey" but you won't get the "n" ...
914rat
popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif
dw914er
never heard of a positive account from Motor Miester

however, the 3.0 is a great motor, and fun in a 914
MDG
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ May 11 2009, 04:32 PM) *

You may be paying for "turnkey" but you won't get the "n" ...

lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif classic!

and another thumbs up on a 3.0 in the 914; they are starting to get old so find a good one to start with. A friend up here has one in his '74 and it is fantastic to drive
Randal

If you want a "real" motor, built by the best, that is fuel injected and brand new, except for a few break in hours on the track, consider buying the motor out of The Beast. It's a 2.7 RS specification.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Randal @ May 11 2009, 06:28 PM) *

...fuel injected and brand new, except for a few break in hours on the track, consider buying the motor out of The Beast. It's a 2.7 RS specification.

Hmmmm -- I might be interested in that one...

is that high-butterfly or regular MFI ?
Randal
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ May 11 2009, 03:51 PM) *

QUOTE(Randal @ May 11 2009, 06:28 PM) *

...fuel injected and brand new, except for a few break in hours on the track, consider buying the motor out of The Beast. It's a 2.7 RS specification.

Hmmmm -- I might be interested in that one...

is that high-butterfly or regular MFI ?

Here are part of the motor specifications:

Built by nationally known Porsche race motor builder Mat Lowrance (Reno).
2.7 Liter 6 cylinder with 9.5:1 compression and Haltech ECU and FI (TWM throttle bodies).
Runs on 92 octane.
Patrick Motorsports lightened flywheel and Centerforce clutch kit.
Rich Johnson center mount 914-6 engine mount.
Smart Racing remote oil cooler filter
Earl fittings used throughout.
Fire shield and/or thermo insulation on all cables or lines.
(available) Intake Silencer with turbo bellmouth for sound restriction tracks.
(available) Exhaust
European Racing Headers 1 ¾” I.D.
(2) Smart Racing products Phase 9 mufflers.
(2) Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers for Laguna Seca sound restrictions
7R case (from a 1974)
oil-bypass mod
time certs on head studs
Mahle Nikasil cylinders
Heads from a 1977 S - 35mm ports
Heads freshly rebuilt by Ted at German Precision
- all new guides, heads flycut, valves ground, seats ground, etc... Solex cams Carerra oil-fed chain tensioners 11-blade fan New-style alternator with new internal voltage regulator Too many new parts to list.
Raceware studs

I have some pictures if you'd like to see them.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.