Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: breatherbox questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nycchef
wondering how to hook up the breather box. the one i have has 4 ports, i believe the brand is jesse buggy. i know one hose comes off the oil filler. and there are two vents that come off the heads, i have no idea (big suprise there) where they are. need help as usual. pics are always good. thanks
yeahmag
If you are running carbs all 3 of those lines should be run to the breather. I gutted my PCV to get more flow from the filler, but in hind sight I would have made something and kept the original PCV intact for later use. Make sure the breather is as high up in the engine compartment as possible.
lotus_65
As I understand it, the idea is to have the breather box higher than the top of the filler stack. Mine is a CB Performance one that only has 3 tits.

I mounted mine on the trunk wall (most put theirs on the firewall I think). One tit for the filler connection and one each for the heads. I have seen people route to the top of one carb I think to burn the VOC's, but I don't know for sure.

I'll post my pics in a couple hours.

thefleur
SirAndy
QUOTE(nycchef @ May 11 2009, 01:07 PM) *

wondering how to hook up the breather box. the one i have has 4 ports, i believe the brand is jesse buggy. i know one hose comes off the oil filler. and there are two vents that come off the heads, i have no idea (big suprise there) where they are. need help as usual. pics are always good. thanks

Plug one port. One to each of the heads, one to the oil filler. Mount as high as possible.
shades.gif Andy
nycchef
Plug one port. One to each of the heads, one to the oil filler. Mount as high as possible.
shades.gif Andy

mounted mine up high on the rear trunk wall. i found what appear to be 2 hose fittings on the driver side toward the front, on top of the head and one on the pass side at the rear of the head, plus the oil filler should i use all of them? my box is the same one as in andy's pic.
lotus_65
You might be seeing the FI head temp sender as one of the two on the one head.

don't use that one.
nycchef
QUOTE(lotus_65 @ May 11 2009, 03:56 PM) *

don't use that one.

would you know which one it is?
neil30076
QUOTE(nycchef @ May 11 2009, 04:59 PM) *

QUOTE(lotus_65 @ May 11 2009, 03:56 PM) *

don't use that one.

would you know which one it is?

Rich, see my picture attached - you can see where the breather points are - at least for now - i'm also asking in a thread if these are routed correctly :-)
lotus_65
1, here's your thread, poke.gif search king smoke.gif

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...amp;hl=breather

And I guess something's up with the Big Birds 914 diagrams.

I can't recall which is the sender.

thefleur
orange914
QUOTE(nycchef @ May 11 2009, 03:51 PM) *

i found what appear to be 2 hose fittings on the driver side toward the front, on top of the head and one on the pass side at the rear of the head,

i've seen an unusual nipple on the tin itself before. is that one of driversides?

mike
Cap'n Krusty
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm ............I just answered a similar thread somewhere else. Andy's picture (I know it's not really his, 'cause it's in focus) shows a hookup that's been illegal in 50 states since 1965. You need to run a hose to one air cleaner, and prevent the escape of vapors between the box and its top. The hose fitting for the air cleaner line needs to be on the top of the box. The routing shown in the picture of the engine with the yellow tin shows a closed system, which will cause leaks from everywhere ...............

As for the nipple on the tin, it has to be for the vapor recovery line to the tank.

The Cap'n
nycchef
i've seen an unusual nipple on the tin itself before. is that one of driversides?

mike

a pic can explain it better than i can (actually a labrador retriever can explain it better than i can)
orange914
QUOTE(nycchef @ May 11 2009, 04:29 PM) *

mike

a pic can explain it better than i can (actually a labrador retriever can explain it better than i can)

yep thats the one, it has nothing to do with crankcase pressure it goes directly onto the exposed cylender fins, right? not sure what its used for, maybe some one out there can chime in
nycchef
sorry i posted the pics before i saw the capt"s post. how do i run a line to the air filter it's not enclosed, just a metal plate on top of the paper filter.
i still not getting which is the wrong hose in the pic. does the one going down into the cylinder head go to the breather box?
SirAndy
QUOTE(neil30076 @ May 11 2009, 05:02 PM) *

Rich, see my picture attached - you can see where the breather points are - at least for now - i'm also asking in a thread if these are routed correctly :-)

Uhmmm, where is it breathing in your picture?

The way i see it, the heads and the oil filler are all going to try to suck air from each other. Or worse, blow air into each other.

You'll need a opening to the environment somewhere, hence the name "breather". shades.gif

The CB box, while may appear to be closed, has openings all around the top and a large spunge inside that traps oil vapor.
The oil collected from the heads will drain back into the filler neck on idle or when the motor is shut off ...
popcorn[1].gif Andy
SirAndy
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ May 11 2009, 05:29 PM) *

Andy's picture (I know it's not really his, 'cause it's in focus) shows a hookup that's been illegal in 50 states since 1965.

Hey now! poke.gif

Yes, my picture. And yes, completely illegal. But that wasn't the question, now was it?
rolleyes.gif Andy
nycchef
better late than never. i think i understand. the nipple coming of the side of the tin is for the charcoal system . i have it hooked up to the oil breather
neil30076
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 11 2009, 06:00 PM) *

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ May 11 2009, 05:29 PM) *

Andy's picture (I know it's not really his, 'cause it's in focus) shows a hookup that's been illegal in 50 states since 1965.

Hey now! poke.gif

Yes, my picture. And yes, completely illegal. But that wasn't the question, now was it?
rolleyes.gif Andy

Thanks Andy - carbs on a previously FI 'd car in California are illegal anyway i believe, so one more infraction is probably not going to make much difference biggrin.gif
CB part on order today.
Thanks to all for great advice, as always.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(nycchef @ May 11 2009, 06:55 PM) *

better late than never. i think i understand. the nipple coming of the side of the tin is for the charcoal system . i have it hooked up to the oil breather

............which means you're adding air flow IN TO the engine, which needs to get air OUT. The Cap'n
Zundfolge
So aside from legal compliance, is there a performance reason for the breather box and/or dumping the breather lines into the carbs?

My breather hoses just run off to the side and down through hole in the tin dumping down to the ground.
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(Zundfolge @ May 12 2009, 08:54 AM) *

So aside from legal compliance, is there a performance reason for the breather box and/or dumping the breather lines into the carbs?

My breather hoses just run off to the side and down through hole in the tin dumping down to the ground.

Aaaah yessss, BTDT and as it drips at speed it goes all over you tranny/rear suspension and brakes if you plumb it like me. The oil collected in the breather will drain back into the case. A Win Win situation.
nycchef
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ May 12 2009, 07:48 AM) *

QUOTE(nycchef @ May 11 2009, 06:55 PM) *

............which means you're adding air flow IN TO the engine, which needs to get air OUT. The Cap'n

it has been corrected. goin with andy's illegal set up.they'll never catch me ..
too busy with all the ponzi scemes here. thanks for all the help
tomeric914
Don't use the crappy hoses that come with those breathers. They crack within months of installation and fall apart shortly after. Invest in some good 1/2" hose from your FLAPS.

Also, these breathers are decent for cars that never see any track time. Spend a couple days at the track at high RPM and expect to see a small mess under the breather. Not a dripping mess, but a mess nonetheless.
nycchef
QUOTE(tomeric914 @ May 12 2009, 10:26 AM) *

Don't use the crappy hoses that come with those breathers. They crack within months of installation and fall apart shortly after. Invest in some good 1/2" hose from your FLAPS.

Also, these breathers are decent for cars that never see any track time. Spend a couple days at the track at high RPM and expect to see a small mess under the breather. Not a dripping mess, but a mess nonetheless.

put new hoses all around. my car will never see any track time. it seems to be designed for jack stands av-943.gif
bandjoey
WHAT do you do when there's NOT a port by the manifold in the head for the oil breather hose?? huh.gif huh.gif Another place to look or ??? As always, pictures help if you made something else work. Thanks for the additional info.
orange914
QUOTE(bandjoey @ May 12 2009, 07:16 PM) *

WHAT do you do when there's NOT a port by the manifold in the head for the oil breather hose?? huh.gif huh.gif Another place to look or ??? As always, pictures help if you made something else work. Thanks for the additional info.

i've seen a nipple you can add to the valve cover on e-bay or all the heads i've seen have the boss on them that can be drilled to install a nipple. the added nipple to the valve cover can be a pain in the arss i've heard when it comes to valve adjustment.

mike
lotus_65
QUOTE(orange914 @ May 12 2009, 10:53 PM) *

QUOTE(bandjoey @ May 12 2009, 07:16 PM) *

i've seen a nipple you can add to the valve cover on e-bay or all the heads i've seen have the boss on them that can be drilled to install a nipple. the added nipple to the valve cover can be a pain in the arss i've heard when it comes to valve adjustment.

mike

yep, there is a boss. i shoulda drilled mine when i had the chance!

i ended up trying to put nipples on the valve covers similar to the ones that came with the cb breather. they where going to interfere with the valve train, so i found some brass elbows and tacked them in.

it's a godawful pita to adjust the valves and they are never completely dry.

just drill the heads.

thefleur
neil30076
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 11 2009, 03:12 PM) *

QUOTE(nycchef @ May 11 2009, 01:07 PM) *

shades.gif Andy

Andy, followed your guide, added the CB box and now i can breath again - cheers
Neil
nycchef
shades.gif Andy

Neil

i.m not looking to stir up any trouble (maybe a little), but now that there seems to be a movement towards andy's breather box setup (i'm a disciple as well), what exactly is illegal about it? flag.gif
neil30076
QUOTE(nycchef @ May 14 2009, 07:33 PM) *

shades.gif Andy

Neil

i.m not looking to stir up any trouble (maybe a little), but now that there seems to be a movement towards andy's breather box setup (i'm a disciple as well), what exactly is illegal about it? flag.gif

Rich, engine fumes get out to the atmosphere, not recycled back in to the air filter and hence into the carbs. You can sort of remedy that by taking the stub on the CB box back into the air filter - not really a legal fix as the box still vents to the outside, but if the car is not subject to state inspection ( prior to 76 is not here in CA, yet!) you can get away with it if an inspector/cop doesn't know what he is looking at!
Neil
ChrisFoley
The Tangerine Breather Kit has an available option for returning the fumes to both air cleaners, and no atmospheric vent.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.