Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: low cold idle setting question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
orange914
heres my question:

the car fires right up, idles great when warm and when cold, BUT... you must physically hold the r.p.m. up to proper rpm. if you open the throttle body screw it will raise BOTH cold and hot rpm won't it? how do you adjust the cold rpm only with out affecting warm rpm? i believe the co/hc mixture is set right throughout rpm range -not to lean or fat-

thanks, mike
r_towle
knob on the ECU

Rich
SirAndy
Also, make sure your AAR is working correctly. A stuck close (or halfway close) AAR could cause the cold idle to be too low.

shades.gif Andy
orange914
QUOTE(r_towle @ May 11 2009, 05:07 PM) *

knob on the ECU

Rich

doesn't the knob change mixture across the rpm range? or is it just idle? but mainly i'm thinking it's not rich or lean at idle just low rpm. we'll give it a shot

QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 11 2009, 05:43 PM) *

Also, make sure your AAR is working correctly. A stuck close (or halfway close) AAR could cause the cold idle to be too low.

shades.gif Andy

you may possible be right, it's the only thing that wasn't hooked up when the motor was put in. i didn't push the issue because i not only understood the aar was only operative in a very cold climate but the installer poo-pooed the install. it wouldn't be the first time i goofed up! i guess we'll mess with the ecu and then deal with the aar if needed. are the 1.7 and 2.0 different?

p.s. andy, thanks again for the 2.0 shortblock, made the perfect base for this engine

mike
tod914
AAR operates in all climates. You must be thinking of the cold start valve. Hook up your AAR, should resolve your problem if it's functioning right. When cold it is open to allow more air in. Hot, it's closed.
orange914
QUOTE(tod914 @ May 11 2009, 07:57 PM) *

AAR operates in all climates. You must be thinking of the cold start valve. Hook up your AAR, should resolve your problem if it's functioning right. When cold it is open to allow more air in. Hot, it's closed.

what temp. ranges does it work thru or does it operate from other sources like cht #1? i understand what it does but i need to research it's operation, i'm totally ignorant to even how it actually operates. does anyone know if i can use my 1.7 aar?

mike
SirAndy
QUOTE(orange914 @ May 11 2009, 10:16 PM) *

i'm totally ignorant to even how it actually operates.

Very high-tech!

You start your engine, the AAR gets 12V, the thing gets hot, expands a spring (iirc) which forces the valve to close.

Turn off motor, 12V goes bye-bye, AAR cools down and opens again.

To test, take off the hoses from your AAR, add 12V (Make sure you got good ground!) and watch it close. I don't know how long it is supposed to take to fully close.

But if yours is stuck, you'll see. When cold, it should be fully open ...
shades.gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.