Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Newbie 6 owner questions....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mr914
I have my first factory 6!! biggrin.gif #269

I'm a long term (since 1980) 4 owner and have a few questions....

How do I jack the ass end up?

On the 4's, I've always gone from either under the differential or under the sump with the floor jack. Then I've put the jack stands under the engine bar.

I don't want to cause any problems the first time I jack my 6 up..... ohmy.gif

BTW. The jack spurs on the side are hosed...

What's the problem with putting the jack stands under the trailing arms?

Any and all input is greatly appreciated pray.gif
Brad Roberts
I put all of my jackstands under the cross arm for the control arms.

IF.. I dont put them on the round "donut" on each side.

If I'm doing suspension work.. then I use the donuts carefully. If I'm doing engine/tranny stuff.. I use the control arms.

Jacking it up from the tranny is no good for the mounts. Repeated jacking from this area will break the mounts sooner or later. If they are in need of replacement now... you can bet they will need replaced after jacking it up with the tranny a few times.

I normally run solid mounts on the tranny... so I dont worry about this much.

B
mr914
This will be my first time putting this car up in the air, so I don't know the exact shape of the donut's.

Thanks for the reply Brad.
Dave_Darling
They're the same as on the -fours... They're... Well, they're donut-shaped. Picture someone making a metal donut, then gluing it onto the bottom of the car. There are four of these--one just aft of each front wheel well, and one at the front corners of the engine bay.

There's a thread on Pelican about jacking up a 914, and I posted a marked-up picture of the points.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.