Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel tank questions...do I need these?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jcambo7
I have a 73 2.0 FI engine and I am wondering if I need the expansion take and/or charcoal cannister? If I can remove these than what do I do about the openings in my air intake for the charcoal cannister? And can someone please explain the purpose and what the charcoal cannister actually does please?
type47
"yes" that is, the car was supplied with these items from the factory but the car can work without them. The charcoal canister is for emissions purposes. The vapor fumes from the gas are fed thru the charcoal and sucked into the intake air by the hose routing to the air filter housing. The hoses are routed along the drivers side rocker panel and enter the engine compartment below the relay board. If you don't use the expansion chamber it seems to me that you've created a greater problem to solve as to how to close up the top of the tank and how to make a filler.
jcambo7
So I can take the cannister off and not have a problem at all...but than what do I do about the openings for the charcoal cannisters hoses that connect to the air intake?
SirAndy
QUOTE(jcambo7 @ May 12 2009, 10:27 AM) *

So I can take the cannister off and not have a problem at all...but than what do I do about the openings for the charcoal cannisters hoses that connect to the air intake?

You can. But you will have fuel smell inside the car every time you have more than a 3/4 tank of gas.

- Plug the connection on the air filter and the one on the side of the fan housing.
- Remove the lines behind the rocker.
- Remove the charcoal canister.
- Remove the expansion tank.
- Route the small hose that goes to the expansion tank inside the large plastic overflow hose that goes from the filler neck down and outside the bottom of the car.
- Get used to the smell of gas.

bye1.gif Andy
jcambo7
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 12 2009, 12:33 PM) *

QUOTE(jcambo7 @ May 12 2009, 10:27 AM) *

You can. But you will have fuel smell inside the car every time you have more than a 3/4 tank of gas.

- Plug the connection on the air filter and the one on the side of the fan housing.
- Remove the lines behind the rocker.
- Remove the charcoal canister.
- Remove the expansion tank.
- Route the small hose that goes to the expansion tank inside the large plastic overflow hose that goes from the filler neck down and outside the bottom of the car.
- Get used to the smell of gas.

bye1.gif Andy

Thanks Andy
Looks like I will just leave the cannister and expansion tank alone than... biggrin.gif
thompson-mfr
It is optimal to keep them on your car. The charcoal canister is designed to take away the fuel smell as the hose that lead to it come from the fuel tank then route under on the side of the car to the motor; further venting the fumes. The expansion tank takes any fuel sloshing and some fumes in as well (too my understanding not an expert what I have heard)

I wish mine had that system still. The PO took all of it off. Don't know why. All that original fuel line routed under on the side of car is not cheap.

Why do you want to remove them?
SLITS
You don't have fuel lines running on the driver's side of your car. They are merely plastic lines to carry air to the charcoal canister from to the blower housing and carry air/fumes back to the air cleaner.

Your fuel lines run thru the center tunnel and are an entirely different diameter and type of plastic.
jmill
After 30+ years I would think the charcoal is toast. With any charcoal filter they usually have a service life. A charcoal respirator will even get used up sitting open to the air. Anyone know how long they last and if you can get a replacement or refill?
SirAndy
QUOTE(jmill @ May 12 2009, 11:30 AM) *

After 30+ years I would think the charcoal is toast. With any charcoal filter they usually have a service life. A charcoal respirator will even get used up sitting open to the air. Anyone know how long they last and if you can get a replacement or refill?

Do a search (I'm too lazy right now). I believe Jeff Bowlsby looked into getting his canister refilled.

He also has a service bulletin with the service interval, i don't remember but i think it was around 30k miles.

idea.gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.