Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Question about getting a car titled
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jbyron
There's one on Craigslist. Owner says he has no title, he bought it to make a road racer out of it. I called the Department of Revenue in my state, and the nice lady told me that I would have to get a lawyer to file a petition and get a judge to grant me title.

Not that I doubt the veracity of what she told me, but is this the only way to get one back on the road? Anybody who has been through this before, I'd appreciate your insights. Otherwise, it looks like this is another one destined to be parted out.
ConeDodger
In California you go to DMV and apply for a lost title. They research it and if no other claims are found you are given a new title.

Search the VIN here and if found you may be able to get some background. If not found enter it and give us the status. ie: for sale in MO - No title.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
It is really not a problem. Many states will register a car without a title as those states do not title a car that is older. When taking this registered car to a title state, the DMV will then exchange the registration for a title. Most 914s in Georgia have no titles but rather registrations, a bill of sale enabling registration of the vehicle.
Worst case scenario, sell the car to someone in a non title state, have them register the car, and then have an agreement that they will sell it back to you. You can then with a bill of sale and their registration, exchange for a title in your state.

Obviously you would need to check the car first for legitimacy!!!
charliew
In TX. You can file for a lost title but I think now you have to get a ins. policy to cover it if it comes up stolen later. Kinda like the mortage ins policy. I'm sure the lawyers wanted another angle to give them more business. I think if you can find the old owner and get a notorized affidavit filled out you don't need the ins. policy.
j-mccar3
I used a place called broadway titles out of alabama, as long as the vehicle isn't stolen they can take care of the situation. It took about two months to get a registration and bill of sale, as which was mentioned before. You can find them through a google search.
Wilhelm
In OR I used this gal: The Lien Goddess

$50.00 and she got me a clear title. Very helpful. Maybe she could point you to resources in your state or just get it done for you.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.