Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Any way to polish minor surface scratches out of plexiglas?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SirAndy
My 914-6 tach came with plexiglass instead of real glass and it has a lot of very small surface scratches.

Is there a way to polish those out?
idea.gif Andy
charliew
At IBM we used to have a plastic polish to clean up clear typewriter sound hoods. I think you can get some wheels and plastic polish at hf.
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

Andy: In the day we used to polish the scratches out of the plexiglas rear

windows of convertibles. I have seen them so cloudy you couldn't see out of

them ,brought back to chystal clear. I can't remember the name of the product.

I guess try your local FLAPS. Dave slap.gif
turboman808
diamondite make a good kit for polishing headlights.

http://www.autogeek.net/diamondite-clear-plastic.html

I wouldn't recommend using a machine on something so small. Do it by hand even if it takes alot of elbow grease. On something so small it's real easy to get to much heat into the area and cause worse scratches then you have.

Or send it out to get glass put it.
biosurfer1
Try PlastiX from Meguiars... I'm not sure how well it will work on tach plexi, but when it works, it works great...either way, it should not damage anything.
underthetire
I have a extra glass lens i had made.

Let me know if you want it.
markb
A friend of mine years ago refinished something like that using toothpaste.
effutuo101
QUOTE(biosurfer1 @ May 12 2009, 01:50 PM) *

Try PlastiX from Meguiars... I'm not sure how well it will work on tach plexi, but when it works, it works great...either way, it should not damage anything.

agree.gif
I used this on my plexiglas faring on my K1200. I also used a mothers ball with it. I took it from very hazy to almost a clear surface (some deeper scratchs didn't come out). I strongly recommend. I tried the other stuff (one summer faring, one winter), but I was the most satisfied with this.
So.Cal.914
I have used regular old polishing compound for modeling. Worked just fine.
Joe Owensby
I had a bunch of scratches on the plexiglass canopy on my glider. I bought a kit from Aircraft Spruce that included a series of fine to very, very fine sandpapers, along with polishing compound. Using this very carefully, I removed all the scratches with no optical blemishes. Not hard at all to do.
SirAndy
Thanks guys, got it to look OK. It'll do for the trip to SmellA ...

beerchug.gif Andy
r_towle
go to a motorcycle shop.
The motorcycle windshield polish is two parts...works great.

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.