Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: update/ sad day
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
oldschool
so the insurance gal came by today, took some photos, mileage,dent,vin and all 4 corners, went to her car and came back with a printed sheet....preliminary estimate
total $5219.96

she said that they will total it. mad.gif

parts.12.8 hrs @ 32.hr $4214.53
body labor 2.6 hrs @32.hr $409.60
paint labor 2.0 hrs @32.hr $83.20
frame labor 2.o hrs @38. $76.
paint supplies 2.6 hrs @24.hr $62.40

biosurfer1
Did she mention anything about you buying it back? I don't know the specifics on your car, is that price in the ballpark of what you were expecting?
Derek Seymour
Sorry to be pesky but is this through your insurance or were you hit and it is through his/her insurance?

If it is yours then I say bite the bullet fix it yourself and don't file it. If it is another persons insurance company then you can actually fight it but you may end up spending big time $$$ and time in court. Often if you threaten to go to court over it the insurance company will change its tune and work with you.
ConeDodger
That should be fairly easy to fight and you absolutely should. For example, a a 73 2.0 in excellent condition is worth almost 4 times their own estimate according to Excellence Magazine 11/08 issue. You have a host of other recognized experts to give you a post accident appraisal that should show the value at least double their estimate. If you allow them to total the car, you will have a salvage title. Not good when you go to sell. Threaten to sue. I have seen your pics. That car is not totalled if you consider real value for classic status vehicles.
Wilhelm
So what does a person do whose car get wrecked and they have alot of custom stuff in it that is not standard 914 stuff? For example Iamchappys 3.6 turbo car? Clearly the insurance payout on a mint condition standard 914 would not cover the custom bodywork, engine, 5 lug conversion, big brakes etc. The other person ins company does not see all this custom stuff, just a 35 year old perhaps well maintained vehicle. Could you end up swapping all the original 914 stuff back onto the car before the ins company took the car or would that be considered fraud?
oldschool
QUOTE(Wilhelm @ May 12 2009, 02:00 PM) *

So what does a person do whose car get wrecked and they have alot of custom stuff in it that is not standard 914 stuff? For example Iamchappys 3.6 turbo car? Clearly the insurance payout on a mint condition standard 914 would not cover the custom bodywork, engine, 5 lug conversion, big brakes etc. The other person ins company does not see all this custom stuff, just a 35 year old perhaps well maintained vehicle. Could you end up swapping all the original 914 stuff back onto the car before the ins company took the car or would that be considered fraud?

The lady did say if you have any thing custom stuff they will pay for it.

and they hit me, its their insurance
effutuo101
QUOTE(Wilhelm @ May 12 2009, 02:00 PM) *

Insure for replacement cost rather then damages. that way, you and your insurance company know how much you will get paid if they total the vehicle. Then the insurance co's can go head to head about the cost.
914 value 10k (apprasial)
Replacment costs 20-25k
insure for 25k. it will cost more, but, you will get your $$ out of it if something happens.
Zundfolge
QUOTE(oldschool @ May 12 2009, 02:22 PM) *

...they hit me, its their insurance

Then their "estimate" is nothing more than an offer.

Counter with more than what you really want and let them know that if they prefer this can be settled in court.

Then lawyer up. They'll either roll over or fight. Rolling over is usually cheaper for them.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Zundfolge @ May 12 2009, 02:31 PM) *

agree.gif
seanery
Yup, I agree.
Their customer took away the privilege of your car from you...YOU are the VICTIM here...You have some say-so in the number you want/need!

Do the research, when my 951 burned I had a valuation from Porsche, the current Excellence numbers and ads for equivalent cars from anywhere you can find, just don't take the beaters, it's the nice ones that represent what your car was (to you, at least) that you need to take with you.
Derek Seymour

Counter with more than what you really want and let them know that if they prefer this can be settled in court.

Then lawyer up. They'll either roll over or fight. Rolling over is usually cheaper for them.

agree.gif

They are low-balling you at a figure they think is high enough to make you happy. Let them know you are more than happy to take this to court and that any and all legal expenses will be added in to the settlement total.

If this was your insurance company you would have less wiggle room, but their client has been found at fault and they are legally responsible to put your car back in the state it was in prior to the accident or provide you with an acceptable payoff amount. I don't think you will have any trouble finding experts that will tell you your car is worth more than what the insurance company is claiming.
oldschool
QUOTE(Derek Seymour @ May 12 2009, 02:53 PM) *

agree.gif

They are low-balling you at a figure they think is high enough to make you happy. Let them know you are more than happy to take this to court and that any and all legal expenses will be added in to the settlement total.

If this was your insurance company you would have less wiggle room, but their client has been found at fault and they are legally responsible to put your car back in the state it was in prior to the accident or provide you with an acceptable payoff amount. I don't think you will have any trouble finding experts that will tell you your car is worth more than what the insurance company is claiming.

ya they are using some kind of body shop software ccc and they have some kind of limit for the car rental?
carr914
agree.gif to all of the above, plus they owe for Rental Car plus personal injuries (your Neck & Back are hurting aren't they? )

T.C.

Katmanken
They are paid to save the company money. The rule of thumb is to total a car if the damage is around half the value of the car. So, the cheapest and easiest thing is to lowball the car's worth so that it becomes a total, and then their time, trouble, and payout($$$$$) are minimized. That is the cheapest way out for them. Enough people just roll over and accept the offer to make it a worthwhile trick to try. Sign nothing and accept no checks or payouts (another set of dirty tricks somebody tried on me).

So, you have to become a royal pain in the ass, learn to drop your emotions from the dealings, and be prepared to wait them out while they stall and delay. Hope you have another car to drive, that really gets their attention and things move faster.

Puff up, stand on the twerps toes, and tell him in a firm voice that it was THEIR CUSTOMER that hit you, and THEY are responsible for the repairs.

Tell them that you want your car to be just like it was, and ( say this very slowly and firmly like you are ready to kill them), NOTHNG LESS IS ACCEPTABLE. Keep repeating "NOTHNG LESS IS ACCEPTABLE" as required while they squirm.

Be ready to lawyer up. You can get your attorney to send a a nastygram letter for $150 or so that can usually solve the issue to your satisfaction.

How's your neck? Those rear end collisions can really cause some recurring pain and DR's bill$$$$$$$.... Rub your neck when talking to the estimator...
dlo914
I know a good attorney if you need one.
oldschool
QUOTE(dlo914 @ May 12 2009, 05:53 PM) *

how about some parts?
seanery
we've all got parts - you're in the right spot if you need parts!

Get the insurance on the right path, then we can get you those parts!
dlo914
QUOTE(oldschool @ May 12 2009, 05:55 PM) *

QUOTE(dlo914 @ May 12 2009, 05:53 PM) *

how about some parts?

Gotta ask James on that.
aircooledtechguy
Do not take their "offer" PERIOD. Stand firm and get an appraisal or two of your own. If possible get an appraisal of the car based on the condition PRIOR to the accident. Here's a brief first-hand experience of mine.. .

A client of mine comes in and shows me photos of their burning '84 Westfalia. It was the most perfect Westy that ever stopped by my shop before the fire. Their insurance company (who will remain un-named but starts with Pem and ends with co mad.gif ) offered them $3200 for the total loss. They asked me to write a short letter describing the condition of the Westy prior to the fire. I did and went on line to get real world replacement costs for another similar Westy and found that they would have to pay upwards of $12K-$14K+ just to get another one similar to theirs. I wrote the letter in my shop letterhead and signed it. They showed this to the insurance company and was offered $12.5K. That was reasonable and so they took it. They bought another one and are now back on the road again.

The lesson here is: Do do your homework and stand firm on what you know it will actually cost you. They will try and intimidate you and low-ball you; it's their job , it's nothing personal. They are counting on you to NOT do your homework and to take their word on things since they're, "in the business". Their only business is to save themselves money and make you go away as soon as possible.
jcambo7
agree.gif with all of the above. Take them to court. They most likely will roll over just like every one said. Freaking insurance companies... headbang.gif
zonedoubt
There definitely seems to be a spike in 914 accidents around here.
jmill
QUOTE(jcambo7 @ May 13 2009, 11:15 AM) *

agree.gif with all of the above. Take them to court. They most likely will roll over just like every one said. Freaking insurance companies... headbang.gif

Almost as bad as those Tow Truck drivers. screwy.gif
Cupomeat
QUOTE(zonedoubt @ May 13 2009, 12:24 PM) *

There definitely seems to be a spike in 914 accidents around here.

Good point, that must be the reason why I disabled mine by not finishing an external oil cooler add-on project this weekend... blink.gif

...not exactly jack stands, as it can be pushed, but the same basic result.
jhadler
Everybody's already put in pretty much the right info. DO NOT accept that offer.

I've been in this position a few times now. Their client damaged your property. They are responsible for just compensation.

You have a second vehicle, you have time. You don't need rental car coverage, but you do need for your car to be repaired PROPERLY, and to your satisfaction. If you have the time, you have the upper hand. Be a pain in their backsides, be stubborn. Do not be belligerent. You are not obligated to accept their offer. If you can wait 'em out, you have the upper hand. Sooner or later they will have pressure to clear their case, and will settle with you on your terms.

Get some quotes from GOOD body shops in your area for a full and complete repair. Don't pad it, but don't cheap out either. Give them (the insurance company) a copy of that estimate.

I don't think you mentioned it, but what insurance company are you dealing with??

-Josh2
horizontally-opposed

Exactly.

My car wouldn't exist today if I hadn't run into a local Porsche guy at Lukes and Shorman right after visiting the other driver's Farmer's Insurance offices, where a delighted woman told me that they were "going to total my car for (me)" as if it was my lucky day. The hit to my car was VERY similar to yours, but didn't affect the trunk lid, which popped open and saved itself.

What I learned was:

-They don't get to make the decision on totaling your car s easily as that.
-They don't get to tell you what body shop you'll be using.
-They don't get to establish the value of your car without taking into account (accurate) information you provide.

His best advice, though, was this: turn the matter (And your research) over to YOUR insurance agent and have them handle it, with explicit instructions that you want to fix the car.

I'd only go the lawyer route if all of the above fails. It sure looks like your car is worth more than $5200 -- just like my car was worth more than $3500 18 years ago. And, your car will be worth a lot more than $5200 18 years from now so long as you fight for it.

You'll get through this -- and it WILL be worth your time.

pete
oldschool
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ May 13 2009, 03:20 PM) *

Exactly.

My car wouldn't exist today if I hadn't run into a local Porsche guy at Lukes and Shorman right after visiting the other driver's Farmer's Insurance offices, where a delighted woman told me that they were "going to total my car for (me)" as if it was my lucky day. The hit to my car was VERY similar to yours, but didn't affect the trunk lid, which popped open and saved itself.

What I learned was:

-They don't get to make the decision on totaling your car s easily as that.
-They don't get to tell you what body shop you'll be using.
-They don't get to establish the value of your car without taking into account (accurate) information you provide.

His best advice, though, was this: turn the matter (And your research) over to YOUR insurance agent and have them handle it, with explicit instructions that you want to fix the car.

I'd only go the lawyer route if all of the above fails. It sure looks like your car is worth more than $5200 -- just like my car was worth more than $3500 18 years ago. And, your car will be worth a lot more than $5200 18 years from now so long as you fight for it.

You'll get through this -- and it WILL be worth your time.

pete

ya man thanks Pete, it is my only car so I do need a rental at this time.
PanelBilly
Years ago my kid got hit and they wrecked a Acura Legend that I had bought new and kept in fantastic shape. Intire car had been reapinted twice over the years and the running gear was in top shape. After a few months of fighting with them I presented a folder of cars I had looked at to buy and why I rejected them as inferior. I told them I was tired of looking and spent much time and effort in replacing the car with another like it. I told them it was their turn to find me a car! I got three times the original offer.
rick 918-S
We need to talk. Are you going to the WCR?
charliew
That estimate is not anything like a real repair bill from a porsche repair shop. There is noway 62.00 will cover paint and what frame repairs? Try about 500.00 to 1000.00 in paint costs.
banger
I would recommend bringing the car to Gary at Valencia Coachworks, he wrote a very reasonable estimate for the repair on my 914. He is also a former 914 owner, and can appreciate the 914, and the need to have the car repaired correctly. He works with most insurance companies, and is fair an honest. For my car he quoted all new Porsche parts, and even took pictures to prove to the insurance company that the car was in good shape, and should not be totaled. If you are interested, his number is 661-257-2268.
oldschool
QUOTE(banger @ May 14 2009, 03:01 PM) *

I would recommend bringing the car to Gary at Valencia Coachworks, he wrote a very reasonable estimate for the repair on my 914. He is also a former 914 owner, and can appreciate the 914, and the need to have the car repaired correctly. He works with most insurance companies, and is fair an honest. For my car he quoted all new Porsche parts, and even took pictures to prove to the insurance company that the car was in good shape, and should not be totaled. If you are interested, his number is 661-257-2268.

thanks banger.
oldschool
QUOTE(jmill @ May 13 2009, 10:15 AM) *

QUOTE(jcambo7 @ May 13 2009, 11:15 AM) *

Almost as bad as those Tow Truck drivers. screwy.gif

the insurance call today. they want to total the car, they said they need to get the mileage
so that they can put a value on it.

my lawyers want to get the insurance to cut me a conflict of interest check?
banger
For my car I was surprised that Mercury insurance values a 914 at $9500-12500, so maybe you can find a better value to prove to them. The adjuster I spoke to said that infinity is a terrible insurance company to deal with as well...
Katmanken
I'm getting mixed signals here.

Do you want the car fixed or more money?

A conflict of interest check would up the payout to you, and would leave you with a totaled car.

Never ever accept a check from an insurance company until the deal is done to your satisfaction and in writing. If you do, they will say you have accepted their offer and it's over.

As you may have guessed, I've been through this before. And, I won.
oldschool
QUOTE(kwales @ May 15 2009, 08:21 AM) *

I'm getting mixed signals here.

Do you want the car fixed or more money?

A conflict of interest check would up the payout to you, and would leave you with a totaled car.

Never ever accept a check from an insurance company until the deal is done to your satisfaction and in writing. If you do, they will say you have accepted their offer and it's over.

As you may have guessed, I've been through this before. And, I won.

Am also getting advice from my lawyers and member on here and the other site,
what they all say is get a payoff,fix the car.
jhadler
QUOTE(oldschool @ May 15 2009, 09:39 AM) *

This depends on what you want. Do you want some cash and your car sort-of fixed? Then take the total, buy the car back (with Salvage title), and get it fixed adequately. Leave some money in your pocket.

Or, you can be a PITA, and demand a proper repair (read: no bondo). You won't get a pocket full of cash, but you'll have your car, and no salvage title either. The second way will take a longer time.

Dunno. Not sure what -you- want from your posts. It's really up to you. Until you accept money, the ball is still in your court. Once you accept money, it's considered a done-deal, and you get what you get.

-Josh2
oldschool
QUOTE(jhadler @ May 15 2009, 10:26 AM) *

QUOTE(oldschool @ May 15 2009, 09:39 AM) *

This depends on what you want. Do you want some cash and your car sort-of fixed? Then take the total, buy the car back (with Salvage title), and get it fixed adequately. Leave some money in your pocket.

Or, you can be a PITA, and demand a proper repair (read: no bondo). You won't get a pocket full of cash, but you'll have your car, and no salvage title either. The second way will take a longer time.

Dunno. Not sure what -you- want from your posts. It's really up to you. Until you accept money, the ball is still in your court. Once you accept money, it's considered a done-deal, and you get what you get.

-Josh2
I

thanks josh for your help.
Katmanken
If you go the total route, it might leave you with a salvage title on the car, and that WILL affect the sale price. If you decide to sell it.

Make sure it's not totaled in your acceptance of their offer, or your car will be worth less.
charliew
Progressive screwed me on my harley. They paid me 4100 to fix a bike I could ride home. But said the value was 8k. I told them bs that I had 16k in it and it didn't have a scratch on it. I said what about the 3k extra they promised to cover the added on items and they said the added on items were not hurt. They got normal bike prices and used them to establish the value of my bike. At the time they couldn't even write a estimate on it. I had to take it to a harley shop to get the estimate written. They drug it out for 4 months and finally I just said ok pay me to fix it and they did but put a salvage title on it. It's not a big deal unless you get a buyer that wants to finance the vehicle. With a salvage title the bank knocks 30% off the loan value.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.