Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Question about car insurance
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
biosurfer1
Since my 914 is back on the road and I need to register it soon, I need to get car insurance on it.

I called the company who insures my truck and they will insure it, but they do not do "classic" car insurance. I asked how they evaluate the price of the car if it is totaled and they said they go by ads/dealer prices to determine the going rate, they do not do agreed value.

My car does not have extreme money into it, but I would be concerned that since these cars seem to have selling prices all over the place, how would they determine how much mine is worth??

If they go by sale prices, I would think it would come out about right... is there anything I'm missing?
ConeDodger
Brett,
I have all of mine insured through American Classic (I think) Not real sure of the name since I have never had a claim. Stated Value is different than Agreed Value. In the later you and the company agree the car is worth X. That is what you would get paid in a loss. Look into Hagerty or search American Classic. I got hooked into American Classic through USAA as they also do not do classic or stated or agreed value insurance.
biosurfer1
I had Hagarty for the last year, but something about their driving policy has me concerned. They do not allow you to drive to work, or even to run errands in the car, its only for "Pleasure" drive. I even called to ask what that means and the guy tells me, get this, "a pleasure drive is one without a destination" which doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but I get what they are trying to say.

I'm just nervous that if I do drive it to work, or around town for the day and wreck it, they won't allow the claim.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(biosurfer1 @ May 12 2009, 02:10 PM) *

I had Hagarty for the last year, but something about their driving policy has me concerned. They do not allow you to drive to work, or even to run errands in the car, its only for "Pleasure" drive. I even called to ask what that means and the guy tells me, get this, "a pleasure drive is one without a destination" which doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but I get what they are trying to say.

I'm just nervous that if I do drive it to work, or around town for the day and wreck it, they won't allow the claim.

I understand your concern. I occasionally drive my cars to work. I don't intend for that to happen but I just somehow end up there. As I have an assigned parking spot inside the building I don't worry too much about some of the parking lot "events" that can and do occur. Further, when I do leave home with no intended destination and end up at work, believe me - I enjoyed the drive and would describe it as pleasure. smile.gif

If, heaven forbid something were to happen while I was driving with no destination and ended up at work I would probably forget to mention this to any insurance representative who might be involved in said claim. dry.gif

You can also double insure it. I have also done that. Your agreed value policy is rather cheap actually. If something happened while you were driving to work file the claim with your general insurance company. If it happened on a pleasure drive with no destination file with Hagerty or both. You don't get any more money but it will ease your mind and probably cost less than $100/ year.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.