Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shif lever too close to my leg
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bryanf
Hey all, I switched back to my stock humongous steering wheel and now things are pretty tight between the wheel and the gear shift...how easy is it to move change the pivot point without screwing up the linkage?

TIA

Bryan
VaccaRabite
Would be easier to get a rennshift or a weltmiester short throw.

Zach
bryanf
thought about a short throw--but I'm trying to put it back to stock as much as is reasonable...(don't know why, just cuz I guess)
type2man
You could also remove the shifter and have someone heat it up and bend it a little in the direction you want. Then just have it rechromed and install it once again. You could also pick up a used shifter off a parts car and mess with it instead of goobering up your original shifter.
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(bryanf @ May 12 2009, 04:20 PM) *

thought about a short throw--but I'm trying to put it back to stock as much as is reasonable...(don't know why, just cuz I guess)

You want to keep it as stock as possible. It might be a WHOLE lot easier to put the smaller steering wheel back on instead of re-locating or bending the shifter. Later if you want to sell it and claim it is a very stock car, you can put the old steering wheel back on.
Cheers, Elliot
dbgriffith75
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ May 12 2009, 08:22 PM) *

QUOTE(bryanf @ May 12 2009, 04:20 PM) *

You want to keep it as stock as possible. It might be a WHOLE lot easier to put the smaller steering wheel back on instead of re-locating or bending the shifter. Later if you want to sell it and claim it is a very stock car, you can put the old steering wheel back on.
Cheers, Elliot

agree.gif
Excellent point.
Wilhelm
Are all your bushings fairly fresh? When I replaced mine a lot of the slop in the shift tower disappeared. The problem with adjusting the slip collars on the linkage is that the reverse lockout is spring-loaded into the shift tower. If you adjust it so that 1st and reverse are more in the midline you run the risk of grinding reverse when you are trying to hit second. Therefore if the bushings are good and the lever is to far to the left then bending the shift lever makes some sense.
charliew
I'll bet the bushings are gone that would require a lot more motion in the shifter side to side.
bryanf
Bushings are new and everything is nice and tight...Just too close to my leg. I probably just have weird anatomy. Oh well, I can certainly live with it...

Thanks for the suggestions...
GeorgeRud
I've got the same problem with mine, and I think that the idea of getting another shift lever and having it bent to the passenger side is the most reasonable option. You should be able to get one from someone that has converted to the Rennshift system, and it shouldn't be that much of a hassle to have it bent. I tried to adjust it to sit further to the right, but you do run into problems trying to get all the gears.
Krieger
I had the same problem. I took the lever assembly out of the car and clamped the lower portion of it(that connects to the shift rod) I put some vise grips on that lovely crome (near the base) and rotated the shift rod about 20* counterclock wise. Don't know if it was broke or if I broke itbut its been that way for 9 years or so.
aircooledtechguy
This was the first modification I did to my 914. It's real easy.

1. Remove the shifter and remove the shaft from the shift assembly.
2. Then chuck it into a vice with the end that attaches to the linkage in the jaws.
3. Use a torch and heat the epoxy that bonds the chrome shaft to the forged base by the ball end. Yes, it's just epoxied in place(!) This will break the bond and the shaft will move free.
4. Clean all the epoxy off the end of the shaft with a wire brush or wheel
5. Position the shaft as you want it to be and tack weld it in place with a MIG or TIG welder. I found that the shift rod was originally pointed about 15 degrees toward the driver. If I repositioned it so that it was in a straight back configuration, I was comfortable to drive with the stock wheel.
6. Verify the position in the car and if O.K., finish weld the part.

Mine is very comfortable to drive now with the stock wheel installed. Hope this helps. . .
rascobo
QUOTE(aircooledtechguy @ May 14 2009, 08:26 AM) *

This was the first modification I did to my 914. It's real easy.

1. Remove the shifter and remove the shaft from the shift assembly.
2. Then chuck it into a vice with the end that attaches to the linkage in the jaws.
3. Use a torch and heat the epoxy that bonds the chrome shaft to the forged base by the ball end. Yes, it's just epoxied in place(!) This will break the bond and the shaft will move free.
4. Clean all the epoxy off the end of the shaft with a wire brush or wheel
5. Position the shaft as you want it to be and tack weld it in place with a MIG or TIG welder. I found that the shift rod was originally pointed about 15 degrees toward the driver. If I repositioned it so that it was in a straight back configuration, I was comfortable to drive with the stock wheel.
6. Verify the position in the car and if O.K., finish weld the part.

Mine is very comfortable to drive now with the stock wheel installed. Hope this helps. . .

Sounds good,but can't tell what it looks like finished from the one photo......
More Pics!
Oh, yeah..... 'Please' popcorn[1].gif
aircooledtechguy
QUOTE(rascobo @ May 15 2009, 08:20 AM) *

Sounds good,but can't tell what it looks like finished from the one photo......
More Pics!
Oh, yeah..... 'Please' popcorn[1].gif

The above photo was a shot of the epoxy from the factory; sorry I forgot to specify that. This is a shot of the installed shifter with about 5 tack welds at the shift rod base. The shift knob is now directly aft of the shifter base rather than being toward the driver's leg (and in the way). Hope this helps. . .
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.