Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How Much Paint Is Required?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kconway
I'm going to paint my car, jambs, trunks, enginebay the whole nine yards. How much paint is required?

Kev
r_towle
1.5 gallons

Rich
PanelBilly
I second that 1.5 gal. That is unless you screw up and need to sand it and paint it several times over!
Wes V
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ May 12 2009, 06:27 PM) *

I second that 1.5 gal. That is unless you screw up and need to sand it and paint it several times over!

Okay Panel, how much paint did you ended up using?

poke.gif

Wes
charliew
It will be better to have some left over than going back and getting more mixed and not getting it to match. Just like any other paint you need to mix two cans together if thats what you start with. Some might disagree but it will also depend on what color the sealer is under the color. For me it takes more white even when using white sealer to get good coverage. Also cheaper paints will take more coats to get good coverage.
kconway
Not sure it matters but it will be a metallic (alaska blue metallic). Sounds like the concensus is 1.5 gallons. I'm not painting it myself but I'll be supplying the materials so I want to get it all mixed at once.
Thanks,
Kev
PRS914-6
QUOTE(kconway @ May 12 2009, 11:04 PM) *

Not sure it matters but it will be a metallic (alaska blue metallic). Sounds like the concensus is 1.5 gallons. I'm not painting it myself but I'll be supplying the materials so I want to get it all mixed at once.
Thanks,
Kev

If a friend is painting it disregard this but if you are paying someone to do it, let them get the paint. I'm getting toasted on another project car where the painter and the stripper are pointing the finger at each other at why paint is bubbling off a fender. Long story short, I am taking the fender to another painter to get it re-painted and I'll pay (again). Lesson learned, hand it over to the painter and let them do it all even if it cost a little more. That way there is no finger pointing such as the paint wasn't right (and you provided it), the stripper left a residue, etc etc. A lesson hard learned.... mad.gif
pete-stevers
or you can paint it yourself....and use lotsa more paint
i am in the same boat as panel...but it is a good education
i would do it all over again...and again ...and again
kconway
QUOTE(PRS914-6 @ May 13 2009, 06:49 AM) *

QUOTE(kconway @ May 12 2009, 11:04 PM) *

Thanks,
Kev

If a friend is painting it disregard this but if you are paying someone to do it, let them get the paint. I'm getting toasted on another project car where the painter and the stripper are pointing the finger at each other at why paint is bubbling off a fender. Long story short, I am taking the fender to another painter to get it re-painted and I'll pay (again). Lesson learned, hand it over to the painter and let them do it all even if it cost a little more. That way there is no finger pointing such as the paint wasn't right (and you provided it), the stripper left a residue, etc etc. A lesson hard learned.... mad.gif

I had a friend installing steel flares and eliminating the rust, dents and dings then primer I will turn it over to a painter for his final once-over on the bodywork and paint. I'm speaking to the painter today so I'll be sure to ask about this and whether or not he prefers to purchase the paint himself.
SUNAB914
If you are going to use a metallic you better have enough on hand with leftover. You don't won't to buy another can and hope it matches, ask me how I know.
I used a venice blue metallic on my 914, and didn't do every panel with the same can. What a pain but it eventually worked out. The amount of metallic flakes in each can made is what counts.
I'm sure you will love the color once done.
charliew
You didn't say if you are painting the bottom. Also that is color only it will take. epoxy primer, two part sanding primer and a sealer or the epoxy primer thinned to get it ready. Is the painter doing the prep?
PanelBilly
OK folks, I'm Billy and I sell panels, PLEASE don't call me panel. I only sell them for the $ to play with cars (and support the ex).

I bought 3 gallons so far. I haven't used all of it but I probley will. At this point I'm not happy with my trunlk and I'm going to repaint it. The shop was getting cold the day I painted and the trunk was next to a dock door so it got too cold. The clear coat ended up wavy and we put extra coats on it to wet sand off. It didn't work to my standard so I'm sanding it down and doing it again.

There no substitute for perfect.
charliew
Panel er Billy thats the good thing about non metalic colors they are so much easier to match. Don't feel bad I have used almost two gallons on a 72 super beetle trying to paint a white and blue pearl outside on the approach in front of my shop. I decided to help my son not thinking about my paint bay being full of cars for the last two years.

My friend, who is also named Billy, builds mid year vettes with LS style motors and late suspension stuff. We were talking and he mentioned that they just painted a car with a metallic silver and after buffing it they noticed the flake looked different in the lower areas than the flat areas. he called the paint rep and the guy came and looked and said he used to hot of a reducer and the flake was left on it's edge and didn't get a chance to lay down. A temperature thing. Complete repaint now.

It sounds like you are trying to save a little but the two different people painting a car is never a good idea. The prep of the bare metal and the application of the filler is the most important step to not get bubbles in about two or three years. Maybe the sheetmetal work and stop there and take it to a painter. The prep is the key to a long lasting paint job.
Wes V
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ May 13 2009, 08:10 AM) *

OK folks, I'm Billy and I sell panels, PLEASE don't call me panel.

Sorry if I punched a button!

Wes
scotty b
WOW 1.5 gallons ...really guys ??? I can do a 914 with 3 quarts of base and a gallon of clear. AND have clear left over.

To give you an out Rich, I assume you mean 1.5 gallons REDUCED right ?? poke.gif Or maybe 1.5 gallons of single stage AFTER mixing Right ??? poke.gif
kconway
I'm going to be using a PPG product DBC base and DBU 2010 clear. The paint shop said a gallon would be more than enough, I guess reduced it's closer to 2 gallons of base to spray.
Wes V
QUOTE(scotty b @ May 16 2009, 06:16 AM) *

WOW 1.5 gallons ...really guys ??? I can do a 914 with 3 quarts of base and a gallon of clear. AND have clear left over.

To give you an out Rich, I assume you mean 1.5 gallons REDUCED right ?? poke.gif Or maybe 1.5 gallons of single stage AFTER mixing Right ??? poke.gif

Scotty;

You professional guys don't waste as much paint as us regular guys!!!!!!! (think of this as a complement)

I don't feel that 1.5 gallon of base color is far off if painting trunk areas and engine compartment.

Wes
charliew
I just ordered 2 gallons of ppg's shopline malaga red. It is a 4/1/1 mix. I don't expect to have much left over but if I do thats better for me than trusting the mixer a few months later to give me the same stuff again. It's single stage so I can sand all the trash out. Also If I feel like it I will put clear over the top side depending on whether or not I get a 66 scout out of my paint bay.

There is noway I would try to get by with 1 gallon of a metallic color on the entire 914. Top and bottom.

Update us on how you come out.
burton73
How much if painting the bottom of the car and the floor firewall under gas tank and under the fenders as if it was new. I have removed every bit of paint on my car and I want extra paint so I do not need to match in the future.

Cannery Yellow on 914-6 #41

Bob
thomasotten
I bought 2 gallons, and have 1 gallon left after painting trunks and everything. Anyone want a blue teener? smile.gif
iamchappy
Scotty these guys must spray it all up into the air. Unless you really know how to cut back and use your gun, lay it down slow, it is easy to blow through a quart with a gun blasting away.
charliew
I'm not a production shop and really don't have a great booth but I get by pretty well. I use a optima german gun for top coats and a smaller italian gun for small areas. I also have a devilbis gti with a 32 oz cup for heavy paints. I retired two satas. I make sure I have good coverage. I paint both directions and do all the edges first. I usually get about 20 years out of my paint jobs. The TX. sun burns paint up if the film thickness isn't thick enough. The reason I do it myself is it gets done the way I like it. Sometimes over and over and over but usually not. As expensive as paint is running out is way more of a problem than having some left over for touchup. I'm not in the position of trying to make a profit on the materials so the material cost is all I have.

Oh yeah my first real job was painting on a production line in 1966 for sometimes two shifts. my paint can was a 60 gallon roll around pot. I usually went through at least two in a night. The product was on a moving conveyor. Painting was the first skill I learned after industrial arts in college.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.