Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 16X7 fuchs fit narrow body 914 in rear?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
barada
I am learning the search function on this forum. It appears you can stuff the 16X7 fuchs under the rear of a narrow body with possibly one side being tighter than the other. Is that correct? I am about to purchase a set of 4 to start grabbing parts for a 5 lug conversion. Anyone have any pics of this set up?
Do you have to roll the fender lip?

Sorry for I am sure a repeat question..

The sad thing is I have sold probably 3 sets of these in the past upgrading for my 911's. Should have kept them all.

Thanks
Phil
drgchapman
Stock 911 offset 16x7? Not under three teeners I've had. I had some 6's welded to 7's on the inner lip and ran 3/8" spacers, worked well. 205/45/16 Hoosiers just fit under the rears on 6" wheels...with the proper camber.

And yes, the clearance is different on each side of the car.
type2man
Yep, its possible. I trial fitted 16x7's with 205/55/16 on the back of my 914 which is orginally 4 lug. You can put one lug on and set it down softly and see if it tucks. Mine tucked fine on the right side but was just on the fender lip on the left. I have yet to figure out why but the car is clean and never been hit, maybe my bushings are worn. I also like the look of 7's on the front as a buddy of mine has that setup and it looks tough. I will try that out next week...
drgchapman
7's are no problem on the front. Run 3/8-1/2" spacers to space them out the fender well. Looks really tough.
seanery
there are different 16x7's

951s had 16x7 fronts - which are different than 911's 16x7 rears...do some research on fuchs offsets to see what's what. I don't remember anymore what they each are, but do recall making a post in 2004 or 2005 regarding that very thing, so maybe a bit more searching to find the full answer. Olav's car had 16x7s all the way round and was/is nice.
number6
Phil, 7Jx16 Fuchs part# 911.361.020.44 will fit at all four corners on a narrow-body car w/o needing to roll the rear lips or massage the fenders. That's been my experience, at least. Below is a photo of my old car, a '75 conversion, with 205/40s all the way around, with plenty of clearance (about a finger's width) on both sides of the rear, again, without messing w/ the fenders. Fronts fill out very nicely, too - no need for spacers.

According to http://members.rennlist.com/911pcars/WheelWts.html , the above-mentioned wheels have 23.3mm offset, 112mm backspace, and weigh 18lbs a piece.

I think the key is to stick with 205s instead of trying to squeeze 215s in. And fitment/size will vary slightly between tire brands. Personally, I like Toyos.

FYI, I have a set of 16x7s 911.361.020.44 available for sale, if you're still looking. OK, end shameless plug smile.gif

Good luck.

-duc
DBCooper
They're on mine with 205/50 Falken Azenis. My inner fender lip was already trimmed, so needed only the gentlest massaging of the fender to fit.
computers4kids
QUOTE(barada @ May 12 2009, 06:26 PM) *

I am learning the search function on this forum. It appears you can stuff the 16X7 fuchs under the rear of a narrow body with possibly one side being tighter than the other. Is that correct?
Thanks
Phil

Phil, you are 100% correct on the money...I have 911 fuchs from a 77. 16 X 7 on rear and 16 X 6 on the front. I'm running 205/45 but I've been told /50 will also fit under a narrow body. Yes one side is tighter than the other. You may have to bend the inner lip on the tight side upward...easily done and can't be seen.
IPB Image
pete-stevers
i had 16x7s with 225s on with a pulled fenders, i think we pulled them out about an inch and half. Now it has flares, in retrospect i should have just put the Gt flares on back then.
smj
My 914/6 came with 6x16's up front and 7x16's in back. And I'm not sure, but I *think* that if you aren't careful about tire size you *might* get a little rubbing... dry.gif (See attached image...)

Haven't checked the offsets etc, those Fuchs are supposed to be takeoffs from one of the PO's 911s. Replaced the tires with something narrower (prolly 205s, need to check) and that just leaves some rubbing up front at full lock.

dw914er
QUOTE(drgchapman @ May 12 2009, 07:27 PM) *

And yes, the clearance is different on each side of the car.

yeap... different cars rub differently too... you might have to roll the fenders, but it will be a good clean tight fit when its done
carreraguy
I have 951 Fuchs 7's on the rear with 225/50 Bridgestones. A little fender stretching was required.
barada
QUOTE(number6 @ May 12 2009, 11:46 PM) *

Phil, 7Jx16 Fuchs part# 911.361.020.44 will fit at all four corners on a narrow-body car w/o needing to roll the rear lips or massage the fenders. That's been my experience, at least. Below is a photo of my old car, a '75 conversion, with 205/40s all the way around, with plenty of clearance (about a finger's width) on both sides of the rear, again, without messing w/ the fenders. Fronts fill out very nicely, too - no need for spacers.

According to http://members.rennlist.com/911pcars/WheelWts.html , the above-mentioned wheels have 23.3mm offset, 112mm backspace, and weigh 18lbs a piece.

I think the key is to stick with 205s instead of trying to squeeze 215s in. And fitment/size will vary slightly between tire brands. Personally, I like Toyos.

FYI, I have a set of 16x7s 911.361.020.44 available for sale, if you're still looking. OK, end shameless plug smile.gif

Good luck.

-duc

Great looking car. Any shots of it from the front?
The wheels I am looking at are from an 84 part number 911 362 115 00 which show a 23.3 mm offset.
Thanks
Phillip
DBCooper
QUOTE(number6 @ May 12 2009, 08:46 PM) *

Good luck.

-duc

Something wrong with that chart. It shows two 7x16 wheels, 911 and 944, both the same width, the same 23.3 offset, but different backspacing. Can't be.
barada
I don't remember, but I thought the 7's were close on 944's and the 8's were certainly different. My understanding on the 7's from 911's is the offset is the same.
Joe Bob
The 951 wheels sit about 1 inch closer the hub, the 911 wheels sit further outboard.

A 225 will not fit on a 16x7 911 wheel...same as the early 911s. A 16x7 with a 225 on a 951 wheel (944 turbo) will....
barada
QUOTE(mikez @ May 16 2009, 06:04 PM) *

The 951 wheels sit about 1 inch closer the hub, the 911 wheels sit further outboard.

A 225 will not fit on a 16x7 911 wheel...same as the early 911s. A 16x7 with a 225 on a 951 wheel (944 turbo) will....

So a 205 and your good?

I re did my fuchs on the green car and I plan on doing these the same way.
IPB Image
mskala

Did a search, the offset of both 911 and 944T 16x7 is 23mm.

early 16x7 topic

DBCooper
If they're both 7" wheels (it's not clear in the thread) then he measured the backspacing of the two wheels and found 5 3/6" for the 911 wheel and 6 1/16" for the 944 wheel. That means they can't both have a 23mm offset, which jives with everyone's experience. I think that 23mm figure comes from the chart that's incorrect.
sixnotfour
They both have the 23.3 offset . The measurement he is talking about is to the black area around the lug holes, wich is pushed out on the 944/951 wheels for big brake clearance, tha also is why they have the recessed lug holes.
barada
Ok so I test fitted some 7's off of my 79 SC part number 911.361.020.44. I bolted in the one lug nut that matched and set it down just to see. IMO it does not look like it will clear. The lip on my rear fenders are almost flush with the inside fender as it stands. The tire looked like it is going to hit the fender itself. This was the drivers side. That wheel had a 205/50 16 on it so would a 45 make that much of a difference?
I need to make a decision as I have a seller on hold waiting on me to make up my mind.
Right now I have ordered the following.
1. Pair of front rotors redrilled with studs installed for 5 lug.
2. Re drilled rear hubs for a 914
3. Rear rotors re drilled for a 5 lug set up.

No wheels yet so I am thinking I may go with 6's. I really wanted to do 7's because they make the car seem much wider IMO and the 7's are usually cheaper as the 911 guys have the 6's widened out.
type2man
Try the wheel on the passenger side. Mine rubs on the drivers side but not on the passenger. You could also set the camber in a little for the wheels to tuck.
drgchapman
QUOTE(type2man @ May 17 2009, 09:03 PM) *

Try the wheel on the passenger side. Mine rubs on the drivers side but not on the passenger. You could also set the camber in a little for the wheels to tuck.

Yep. 7's require massaging, 6" don't.
I've got two nice 6x16's for sale, if your looking.
Porsche Rescue
DRG has it right.
These are 205/45 on 7's and I had to roll both sides, one more than the other. I got impatient and cracked a bit of paint on one side. Jeff Fort in Ohio has this car now.

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.