Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: polishing shift knob
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RJMII
I have a few minor scratches in the top of my shift knob that I'd like to polish out. The one shift knob is really in good shape, and I'd like to get it as nice as possible.

Andy's thread on the tach got me to thinking; and there were some good ideas there. But this plastic seems a bit different than plexiglass.

any suggestions on what to try for the top of shift knob?
PeeGreen 914
lol-2.gif Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Umm... there are ways to polish the knobs and get them to look like new. I don't know the total method but I'm sure someone on here will let you know. I actually recall a fellow member that does this.
charliew
I have two different buffers set up. One with a harder cloth wheel and one with a softer wheel. I have polished several tail light lenses with the compounds I use on aluminum.
dflesburg
you could send it to GreatPumpkin,

he does them for folks. I think he charges $65
RJMII
QUOTE(dflesburg @ May 13 2009, 06:10 AM) *

you could send it to GreatPumpkin,

he does them for folks. I think he charges $65

leads me to another question:

How much is a shift knob worth; if he's charging $65 dollars to polish it?
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ May 12 2009, 08:51 PM) *

lol-2.gif Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Umm... there are ways to polish the knobs and get them to look like new. I don't know the total method but I'm sure someone on here will let you know. I actually recall a fellow member that does this.

Oh come on Jon! Admit it, you polish your knob too! I am not going to talk about my technique here... I think it is a private matter. smile.gif
zonedoubt
jerkit.gif
ClayPerrine
After reading the title... I KNEW that this thread would head downhill...

Vertically, with a jet engine pushing it downward.

lol-2.gif av-943.gif
VaccaRabite
Assuming thatthey are scratches and not cracks, here is how to do it.

400 grit paper to remove the deep scratches. 600 grit paper to remove the marks from the 400 grit paper. Then 800. Then 1200. Then buff it with a plastic buffing compound on a soft wheel.

If the scratches are really minor, you may be able to remove them with 800 or higher paper, or with a slightly more aggressive buffing compound or buffing pad.

If the knob is cracked, I don't know what to tell you.

Zach
thompson-mfr
You could try using a super fine wetsand paper. Start with very fine maybe 2000. The less material you have to take off the better (use water for lubricant). If that doesn't work you could go to 1200. After you find one that is abrasive enough (I use that in the slightest sense) that works to remove the scratches or fogging, then go back with the finest like the 2000. After that you can polish it (I am not going to say it!) with mothers or another good car polish (not wax). It would be helpful if you go to your local hardware store and buy a polishing pad that can attach to your drill or better yet die grinder if you have air. If it were me I would try the light cutting compound first if it is just fogged.

I owned a detailing company for 5 years and am one of the people that had manufactured 914 aluminum shift knobs in the past.

Wilhelm
Gotta be careful polishing the knob: Knob polishing injury
Derek Seymour
IPB Image

sorry... couldn't resist.
dbgriffith75
QUOTE(Wilhelm @ May 13 2009, 02:36 PM) *

Holy crap dude! I can appreciate... well, let's just say trying new things. But what man, in his right mind, believes it's okay to hold his junk right next to the drive belt of a piece of machinery!? Especially a guy that works around this type of equipment daily and knows there's the risk of injury!?

This reminds me of a story I heard on the radio yesterday. In Oklahoma, a 49 year old woman died after using a jackhammer to please herself! Here's the link to a story I found on Google-

http://decentcommunity.org/2009/05/05/wome...ammer-as-dildo/
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Wilhelm @ May 13 2009, 11:36 AM) *

I am so so afraid to click this link! sad.gif
ClayPerrine
I worked with a guy who used to lift weights in the nude (no, I never saw it). He was out of work for a few days, and when he came back, he was hurting. Seems that he dropped a 20LB weight on his junk. He stapled it back together with a stapler.

2 weeks later, he was at the doctor with a major infection.

pinch.gif

megfourfun
QUOTE(Wilhelm @ May 13 2009, 12:36 PM) *

icon8.gif
bandjoey
$9.99 headlight polishing kit from a FLAP. Now. Close your flap so you know it won't get scratched any greater than it already is! lol-2.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.