Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Air compressor overhaul
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914Sixer
My compressor started getting noisy, so I figured it was due for an overhaul being that it is now 12 yrs old. I called Sears for parts and they said that an overhaul kit was available for $60 with shipping. I thought this was reasonable. Well, when the parts got here the kit was ONLY for one side of the V-twin compressor. So I had to call back and order an other kit (it would have been nice to talk to a parts professional). Original cost of oil less compressor was $500 (6.5 hp w/ 60 gal tank)

Overhaul kit consisted of two pistons with rings, 2 O ring gaskets and SS cylinder (used parts show in picture)
SLITS
Sears parts prices most often exceed the cost of a new unit or come damn close.
GeorgeRud
I guess they're trying to make money somewhere! Replacement parts are a captive audience if they can't be obtained from alternate sources.

Sears actually doesn't make anything, so it would be probably best to find who made the compressor for them (hard to do I bet), and order the parts directly.

Many years ago, I was quoted $450 for a replacement starter for my 914-6 from the Porsche dealer (stating that replacement solenoids or rebuilt starters were not available for my car). After a little searching, a $27 Bosch solenoid from an independent parts dealer had me on my way, and is still working fine (almost 30 years later).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.