Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Head Temp Sensor
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
scoobykvn
I tried using the search function with no luck. I am trying to determine the best type of head temp sensor and the best place to get one.
SLITS
012 .... PelicanParts
CliffBraun
If you're going for a temp sender for the factory setup, I don't know, I'm sure SLITS is right.

If I were doing aftermarket CHT, I'd grab one of These and a couple (If I recall) E type thermocouples to hook up to it. Personally I'd use thermal epoxy to attach the thermocouples to the heads, not a big fan of the under spark plug ones.

I'm partial to the latter because my school has the stuff to weld up thermocouples. Not sure about accuracy, the stock sender is probably a thermistor, these are certainly more durable.
underthetire
QUOTE(CliffBraun @ May 13 2009, 02:48 PM) *

If you're going for a temp sender for the factory setup, I don't know, I'm sure SLITS is right.

If I were doing aftermarket CHT, I'd grab one of These and a couple (If I recall) E type thermocouples to hook up to it. Personally I'd use thermal epoxy to attach the thermocouples to the heads, not a big fan of the under spark plug ones.

I'm partial to the latter because my school has the stuff to weld up thermocouples. Not sure about accuracy, the stock sender is probably a thermistor, these are certainly more durable.

Thats very cool! Dam near the same price as the VDO but with two channels!
swl
Slits is refering to the CHT that is part of the FI system. Also available from cip1.com.

Totally different device than a guage sender. No option - there is only one right one for the engine. See Brad Anders site for which one is right for your car. http://members.rennlist.com/pbanders/djetparts.htm#parts
SLITS
QUOTE(swl @ May 13 2009, 03:29 PM) *

Slits is refering to the CHT that is part of the FI system. Also available from cip1.com.

Totally different device than a guage sender. No option - there is only one right one for the engine. See Brad Anders site for which one is right for your car. http://members.rennlist.com/pbanders/djetparts.htm#parts

Thank you ... I wish he had specified.

Oh well ... senility ya know.
swl
Not sure what skoobykv meant. I read it the same as you Ron. I'll join you in the senility ward.
CliffBraun
Odd, well, maybe he'll weigh in. I'm gonna do the aircraft gage when I get money. I actually made some thermocouples for it in the school's lab, I just need to be able to buy the gage and from there it's just plumbing.

Edit: I also much prefer thermocouples to thermistors for this sorta use, and I'm pretty sure the VDO is a thermistor gage. Thermocouples are FAR more resilient (it's just a bead of two different metals welded together). Actually the way the gage works is kinda cool (there's a thermistor in it for compensating).
scoobykvn
I was talking about the CHT sensor with gauge, like one under the spark plug or tap into the head.
CliffBraun
I'd go with the aircraft gage, and buy thermocouple stuff from them, too. They offer ring terminals to go under the spark plugs, but I am planning on thermal epoxying bare thermocouples to the heads.
ConeDodger
I use the guage from Aircraft Spruce and it works great. I have it mounted on a Morphenspectra A piller pod along with an EGT guage. Get the longer of the two senders. Other than installation and reinstallation at each spark plug change the under sparkplug ring is no big deal...
biosurfer1
Rob,
remind me at the next reunion to talk to you about those gauges
HAM Inc
Dakota Digital. Use one in my race car and love it.
Bleyseng
QUOTE(HAM Inc @ May 14 2009, 10:35 AM) *

Dakota Digital. Use one in my race car and love it.

yep, have one in the Westy but I just can't bear to install one in the console as the digital readout doesn't look right. VDO is ok too.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.