Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What Gallon capacity fuel cell r u running?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
GaroldShaffer
Moby, my old FP racecar has a ATL SP108 fuel cell that holds 8 gallons. Since it now has a 3.0L /6 instead of the FP 1.8 /4 in it I am thinking when I start road racing I will need a bigger fuel cell, no? The 8 gallons is plenty for AXing, butis it enough for road racing?

confused24.gif
Randal
QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ May 13 2009, 08:29 PM) *

Moby, my old FP racecar has a ATL SP108 fuel cell that holds 8 gallons. Since it now has a 3.0L /6 instead of the FP 1.8 /4 in it I am thinking when I start road racing I will need a bigger fuel cell, no? The 8 gallons is plenty for AXing, butis it enough for road racing?

confused24.gif

The fuel cell is 12 (maybe) 15 gallons in the Beast; 5 gallons in "222."

Running a 20 minute session in the Beast uses about about 5 or 6 gallons.
brant
rule of thumb for a teener race car

4cylinder = 10gallon
6 = 12gallon

you could probably get away with a 10 on a 6 but why
imagine your going to do an enduro some day... why not go for 12

I run 15 in my 2.0/6
I often go out with 5gallons in it and come back with 1/2
but why not have the ability to do an enduro
they are WAY... way ... way more fun than a spring w2w

we ran an enduro on a 2.1 mile course with 86 cars
probably the best race I have ever particpated in.
it was pass and be passed about 2 times every corner for 2 hours.

brant
Joe Ricard
Figure 7 MPG on the track. go from there what do you need to accomplish.

I am putting a 5 gallon tank in my car. enough for 20 minute race. and run a gallon in it for autocross.
Randal
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ May 14 2009, 04:26 AM) *

I am putting a 5 gallon tank in my car. enough for 20 minute race. and run a gallon in it for autocross.

agree.gif But don't forget, when you motor starts doing funny things, to check the gas first!
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(Randal @ May 14 2009, 05:58 AM) *

agree.gif But don't forget, when you motor starts doing funny things, to check the gas first!

rolleyes.gif Yep learned that the hard way with my first AX this year. I thought I put gas in the car a few days before my 5th run of teh day car started cutting out on hard right turns, on 6th run fuel pump was making a REAL bad sound. I shut things down and yep, out of gas slap.gif Fuel is now TOP on my pre-AX/Track day/whatever list.
Joe Ricard
Living on the edge requires more work and infiniatley more things to Fuk up.
Randal
QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ May 14 2009, 07:59 AM) *

QUOTE(Randal @ May 14 2009, 05:58 AM) *

rolleyes.gif Yep learned that the hard way with my first AX this year. I thought I put gas in the car a few days before my 5th run of teh day car started cutting out on hard right turns, on 6th run fuel pump was making a REAL bad sound. I shut things down and yep, out of gas slap.gif Fuel is now TOP on my pre-AX/Track day/whatever list.

Yup, as soon as my car is off the trailer that's the first thing I do. Then I do it again right before lunch.

I'd rather have a couple of extra gallons in there as opposed to having to throw out a run.
pcar916
Mine's a 15 gallon Fuel Safe cell with an aluminum case and a 1 gallon surge tank.

With the surge tank I don't have to fill it up for short events since the fuel-injection return line keeps it filled constantly.

Good Luck! ~Ron
Randal
QUOTE(pcar916 @ May 14 2009, 02:12 PM) *

Mine's a 15 gallon Fuel Safe cell with an aluminum case and a 1 gallon surge tank.

With the surge tank I don't have to fill it up for short events since the fuel-injection return line keeps it filled constantly.

Good Luck! ~Ron

No question, don't forget one of these:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

HAM Inc
Another thing to keep in mind is that if you start a race with the cell packed with fuel and have a front impact that gets to the cell, there's a good chance you'll burst it. I like having more cell than I need for the length of my races. That extra air space gives the cell more crushability. Doesn't matter how good the cell is, fuel still won't compress!
Randal
QUOTE(HAM Inc @ May 14 2009, 03:03 PM) *

Another thing to keep in mind is that if you start a race with the cell packed with fuel and have a front impact that gets to the cell, there's a good chance you'll burst it. I like having more cell than I need for the length of my races. That extra air space gives the cell more crushability. Doesn't matter how good the cell is, fuel still won't compress!

Well said, by a man that has probably seen more fuel cells get chrushed than any of us, given where he learned to race.

Good advice Len. Thanks! smilie_pokal.gif
brant
we often return with 1/2 gallon or less.
sometimes less than 1/8th

some type of surge tank or reservoir is mandatory.
(especially for F.I. !)

on the 2.0 at high altitude (small jets) we run about 15 gallons an hour
that is a safe baseline and you will probably not surpass that if you are in the 200hp area...

HAM Inc
Well said, by a man that has probably seen more fuel cells get chrushed than any of us, given where he learned to race.

Thanks Randall! And yes, unfortunately I have seen my share of ruptured cells first hand. The start of a race is the most dangerous time in a race, in part because that is when cars have the most fuel on board.
jt914-6
12 gal. for use with 3.0 RS spec. engine and street/track use.

Click to view attachment
MikeSpraggi
I have a 15 gal. ATL I'm installing in my DE/Track car. This thread is good reading with some good advice.

Click to view attachment
puff adder
Here's the cell on my car. Another configuration, probably 8 gallons. Fits into the stock modified tank.
Heeltoe914
[quote name='brant' date='May 14 2009, 10:19 PM' post='1169636']

(especially for F.I. !)

Brant I like the little tank you have mounted in the car I run a 6 gal tank and get about 20 mins. If running with the extra accumulator I can get 2 more laps and every drop of fuel I would be happy.

Where did you buy that tank? And can you show me the routing and the way it works.
sww914
I have a 12 gallon cell. Hotrod 2056 with Weber 44's. I fill it almost all the way up, say to 10 gallons and I get 3 run sessions before it starts getting low. I can't quite get 4 20 minute sessions unless I fill it up all the way, but it's like Ham said.
brant
[quote name='Heeltoe914' date='Jun 30 2009, 11:55 PM' post='1187285']
[quote name='brant' date='May 14 2009, 10:19 PM' post='1169636']

(especially for F.I. !)

Brant I like the little tank you have mounted in the car I run a 6 gal tank and get about 20 mins. If running with the extra accumulator I can get 2 more laps and every drop of fuel I would be happy.

Where did you buy that tank? And can you show me the routing and the way it works.
[/quote]

its really designed as a surge tank, to keep fuel from splashing from side to side and evading the fuel pick up. Its a moroso oil accumulator with new AN fittings TIG welded onto it to convert it over for use with fuel.

the routing is that one fuel pump picks up from the cell, runs through a filter, and then into the surge tank. Out of the bottom of the surge tank, a 2nd fuel pump runs back to the carbs, or f.i (these systems are absolutely necessary for racing ITB's or F.I. systems that need to maintain constant fuel supply)

After feeding the induction, the fuel is routed back in a circulatory system to return to the tank. Additionally the surge tank has an overflow that also returns to the tank

Cool recirculatory fuel is your friend!

brant
Joe Ricard
My autocross car has a 5 gallon tank I am hoping to run a gallon or less for the 3 runs per heat.
5 gallons should be enough for the 20 minute lapping sessions. If I ever go W2W then I'll have to up my game on several levels of car prep.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.