Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What are the issues with going from a 2.0 to a 1.8?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cire
I have heard that a 1.7 and 2.0 are close but that the 1.8 is different in some ways. What are the differences? I have a 2.0 in my car now. I was thinking about pulling it and looking at the heads and P&Cs and wanted to put in an engine to keep my daily driver running. This way I am not rushed and can take my time.

So, whats involved in putting a 1.8 in a 2.0 car?

Eric
computers4kids
The 1.8s came with Ljet fuel injection as opposed to the 2.0 which had djet fuel injection...totally diff. animals. Make sure you have all the fuel injection parts for the ljet, including the computer brain, harness etc and the resistor pack under the battery tray.

Carbs not as big of a deal.

1.8 will take different engine tin.

If the 1.8 is complete, it should be a real easy temporary swap.
Cire
QUOTE(computers4kids @ May 14 2009, 06:55 AM) *

If the 1.8 is complete, it should be a real easy temporary swap.

Thats good to hear. Are the flywheel, clutch and stuff the same? If the tin is different will it still go in without any modifications? Doesnt need to be perfect, just drivable and safe.

Thanks again for your insights.

Eric
Cevan
QUOTE(computers4kids @ May 14 2009, 09:55 AM) *

1.8 will take different engine tin.

The only tin that is different is the top two pieces that cover the cylinders. The rest is the same.
jsayre914
I just took my 2.o out last month, it had d-jet and put in a 1.8 with l-jet. I swapped them out, to find out i was missing the dual relay and the coil pack.

got the missing pieces and it started right up, but the holes were not in the bay to mount the air cleaner to my 73 year car, no big deal... a bunjee works fine. anyway, the same exaust and heat exchangers bolted right onto it (they were 1.8 anyway) then it ran great for about a week untill...

the wires on the coil pack were so crusty they started popping off one at a time causing a non injectiing fi system. I slapped a new coil pack on today, and its great. Oh, and the ecu does not fit the bracket of the 2.0 ecu, so a few zipties for that and a ziptie for the dual relay.

the only other thing i left out was the charcoal cannistor that sits in the bay, since i had one on top of the fuel tank, i just connected those inline.

the only other thing i did to make sure it lasts the summer is replace the small injector seals and oil filler seals and vacume lines.

Runs like a top, so i can work on rebuilding my 2.0..... bigger biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.