Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Speedometer not working!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
silverteener
Hey guys,

Now that I got it running it's time for more things to break! My speedometer stopped working. I checked it at the transmission and it is tight. Is there an easy fix for this or am I going to have to buy a new cable???

thanks

Scott
Michael N
Pull and check the angle drive at the transmission. It is easy to check by spinning with slight resistance on the drive and beats the heck out of routing a new cable.
ConeDodger
You don't mention a year... The later cars have a counter in the foam footwell on the passenger side that turns on the emissions light. It has a proximal and distal connection there that could come loose. Did you check the back of the guage itself? Just get a fingernail grip on it and pull forward.
silverteener
Sorry,

It's a 72. I'll take out the angle drive and check it out.

thanks
Joe Bob
Take a drill motor and spin the cable at the back end....if it works it's the angledrive. If it doesn't pull the speedo and use a cut down allen wrench on the same drill motor....if it works it's the cable, if it doesn't it the speedo....

North Hollywood or Palo Alto Speedometer will do a rebuild or you can buy a used one....
SLITS
Sometimes it's the tang on the end of the speedo gear shaft when you pull the speedo gear housing out of the tranny.

If you do this, make sure you jack the ass-end of the tranny as high as you can to avoid a gear oil bath. It smells like Corral #5 and stays with you about as long as skunk parfumeee.
Sleepin
SLITS has always gotta be talking about 'tang and ass.... rolleyes.gif

ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Sleepin @ May 14 2009, 01:56 PM) *

SLITS has always gotta be talking about 'tang and ass.... rolleyes.gif

Would you expect anything less out of the little stromberg.gif ?

Hi Ron!!!
HCRDAN
QUOTE(mikez @ May 14 2009, 12:07 PM) *

Take a drill motor and spin the cable at the back end....if it works it's the angledrive. If it doesn't pull the speedo and use a cut down allen wrench on the same drill motor....if it works it's the cable, if it doesn't it the speedo....

North Hollywood or Palo Alto Speedometer will do a rebuild or you can buy a used one....

An alternative to these vendors is Overseas Speedometer (www.speedometer.com) in Austin. Rick Borth is the owner and he's repaired 4 of my Porsche speedos, clock, and tachs over the years. He is an enthusiast and a supporter of the local Porsche community and a good guy. No other alliance other than a happy customer.

dsc201knoc
I rerouted a cable yesterday, it only took about 20 minutes tops...
euro911
QUOTE(mikez @ May 14 2009, 10:07 AM) *

You'll need to spin the speedo in reverse with your drill motor shades.gif
silverteener

The cable broke. I've checked around for new cables and found one on Pelican for around 43 dollars which didn't sound too bad. the worst part is waiting for it to get here! I tried the drill trick, it worked pretty good!

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.