Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gas tank whoas
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PeeGreen 914
headbang.gif So the upper portion of my tank has some pin holes where it sits on the upper cushon. It looks like it had been welded here before. There are three very small holes but it is enough to leak.

So my question is:

Cant I put a coat of JB over the area and just not fill the tank all the way up and call it good? Will JB Weld resist the fuel or will the fuel just melt through?
ConeDodger
Jon,
I used the POR15 gas tank sealer kit. It reportedly takes care of the pin hole issue and is not too difficult for the home user. Do a search and I think I did a write up on doing this...

Quick edit: It is about $60 at auto paint supply stores and the last step is the POR15 paint that seals the tank in a very nice silver that is a shame to cover up!
PeeGreen 914
Well, if I find a loaner tank I will do that but for now I want to get my car running.

I actually took this tank to has it boiled dipped and pressure tested. They told me it checked out well. dry.gif It appears they were wrong. Not too sure if I should call them up and say WTF.gif or just deal with it.
underthetire
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ May 14 2009, 09:28 AM) *

Well, if I find a loaner tank I will do that but for now I want to get my car running.

I actually took this tank to has it boiled dipped and pressure tested. They told me it checked out well. dry.gif It appears they were wrong. Not too sure if I should call them up and say WTF.gif or just deal with it.

JB weld is fuel safe. Most long set epoxy is.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ May 14 2009, 08:28 AM) *

It really only takes a day. You do all of the chem steps first and then rinse and let it dry. Then seal the holes and put bolts in the inlet outlet holes so they don't get sealed pour in the POR15, slosh it around then let it dry... You are back in business in no time.
aircooledtechguy
Just do yourself a favor and do the POR-15 treatment and be done with it FOREVER. It will only take you 24 hours to finish. . . After reading this you're 10 seconds behind. . . biggrin.gif

Edit: You can cut down the drying times a lot by using a hair drier or leaf blower to get it all dry. It is super important to have the tank completely dry inside before adding the POR-15 final coating.
VaccaRabite
I'd give it a full 24 hours to dry on each of the rinses.

This is not a process that you want to rush. If the POR lifts (and it will if there is ANY moisture left in there), it will be the end of your tank. No way to get it off and re-do.

Some people have it last forever, others only a few years and then need a new tank. They guys that have it last forever take the time to make sure the tank is bone dry.

Zach

PeeGreen 914
Well, I already did the JB Weld last night as I was pissed and wanted to do something. Then I thought about "what if this isn't going to work blink.gif

I will see how it works and if it doesn't do the trick I will go the POR route. I really don't want to spend another $1 on the car if I really don't need to. Just getting really tight. dry.gif I told my wife she needs to get another job happy11.gif Okay, maybe not. She works very hard. I do have some clients that are close to doing something. If they do I will be back in business of making my car better. aktion035.gif
Joe Bob
I have a tank from the 76 sitting in the garage.....
charliew
Sounds like you need a part time job to fix your buggy. Maybe more people will invest in foreclosures sooner rather than later. I guess percieved value is subjective in some areas. The jb will do a good job. If the inside is nice and clean now would be a good time to seal the inside with the por sealer. When you pour the excess out and it dries you will see how good it is.
PeeGreen 914
Yeah, I'll do the POR when I can. I have another job to get the bills paid but it would be nice if the market picked back up or even more than it is. I hae noticed more closings and more people finally looking.

Thanks Mike, I should be able to find one up here but I think this temp fix will work. I really need to get the car started today so it will be ready for the next AX. It HAS to be ready for the next AX. The RS America I did drive while getting my car ready sadly met the wall at the track and it will be out for a few months. Fortunately my brother is okay and only his ego was hurt. Started to rain on his last lap and the hoosiers didn't hold sad.gif
SLITS
At the track, to make a permanent fix, we would use JB Weld and fiberglass cloth. Layer of JB, lay cloth and impregnate it with JB. Once dry, I swear it could take a direct nuclear hit and not break.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.