Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
scoobykvn
This has probably been debated time and time again, but I had no luck with the search option. I am trying to figure out the best weight oil for my stock 1.7. Sorry if this question has been asked many times.
charliew
We use 30w rotella in our aircooled bug motors. It's a diesel oil and has better high pressure additatives. It's more like the old oils. The new oils are for fi motors with cats and o2 sensors. The flat lifters and cams in older motors really need high pressure additatives like zinc and sulphur.
underthetire
Look up ZDDP on the net. More than you want to know.
Shade Tree
^^^Local Porsche Mechanic gives a bottle to every customer.
orange914
ZDDP... ZDDP... ZDDP!

gm sells the additive. some say it's not as good as already haveing it formulated in.

i, like many others here, use brad penn 20x50. but it's next to impossible to find locally

Katmanken
Rotella's latest formulation appears to have decent levels of ZDDP.

I think the latest analysis is on Bob the oil guy and some VW guys are going back to it.

Ken
megfourfun
I believe most people run the brad penn as mentioned above (20w-50). Ive also read that the SWEPCO oil is good. You're kinda far north of me but if you are ever down near louisville, the shop here carries it for a pretty good price.
SGB
If it is available, that Bradd Pitt (I know- its intentional) stuff is best. Its cheap. Porsches love it.
wobbletop
Gonna bump this... sorry.

I've been noticing I've been going through a bit of oil lately. Nothing really on the garage floor so I must be burning it. I don't have a handle yet on exactly how much oil I've been burning (probably 2 litres in 4-5 fillups... there was an autocross in there) but I'll be keeping track now.

I had been using Castrol 15W50 synthetic, but if I'm using this much I thought I'd try something cheaper.

I can get Rotella T 15W40 for $20 for 4 litres (quarts basically). I know people recommend Brad Penn 20W50, but it's a bit tougher to find up here.

Anyone dead set against Rotella T 15W40?

Thanks,
Walter
70Sixter
I vote for Brad Penn 20W-50 for air-cooleds, the old Kendall GT1 basically. LN Engineering will ship.

I thought I read something about Rotella reformulation, but senility precludes my remembering whether it was good or bad.
70Sixter
I vote for Brad Penn 20W-50 for air-cooleds, the old Kendall GT1 basically. LN Engineering will ship.

I thought I read something about Rotella reformulation, but senility precludes my remembering whether it was good or bad.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.