Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cat Sensor + Bursch Exhaust
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Derek Seymour
So I am putting a Bursch on my 76 and I can obviously just use my stock catalytic converter, but if I use the bypass tube do I need to get a sensor bung welded in? Or can I just tape it up and zip tie it out of the way until I put the stock exhaust back on it.

Oh.. if the DMV is reading this it's only for the track whistle[1].gif
Katmanken
Don't they do a visual on the emission parts in Kali???

A bypass pipe looks a little different than a cat....

And yer tail pipe will sniff rich to the states tailpipe sensor...

Other than that, you probably won't have too much trouble getting out of jail...

Don't know if you get to pass go, get $200, or have to give $200...
MartyYeoman
Is the Bursch install intended to be permanent or just used between smog tests?
It's easy enough to swap back to stock for the testing periods IMO.
Derek Seymour
I've already passed SMOG biggrin.gif so I don't have to do any song and dance for two years.

I just want to make sure that I won't be causing any problems with fuel injection. Visually to me it looks like the cat sensor is only a temp sensor and not an oxygen sensor... but I'm running blind when it comes to most FI stuff and I don't know what having/not having the sensor connected may or may not do.

I have my stock exhaust, egr, smog pump, yadda yadda and it will all go back on (oops am I implying that I removed it) when I go back to SMOG it again in two years. It really is quite easy to remove/replace but in the meantime... while running the Bursch I would like to have everything working smoothly.
Katmanken
Might want to check it.

Only thing I've ever seen in that positon in a car is an oxygen sensor, not a temp sensor and if it is, it's hooked to the brain box to control the amount of fuel injected into the engine in a narrow range by measuring the output in the tailpipe.

Symptoms of a bad sensor are crappy mileage, black smoke, rough idling etc,. Missing sensors work the same as bad ones.
Cap'n Krusty
It's a temperature sensor, turns a light on if the catalyst gets too hot. It's safe for you to run without it. Only on the track, of course ..........................

The Cap'n
Derek Seymour
Excellent! Thanks Cap'n!!!
beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.