Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: thump on acceleration
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
lotus_65
this farm-field gearbox thumps really badly on accel., especially on left turns (the thump is mainly on the left. it's so bad i feel like the wheel's coming off.

i looked and have found some decent drops from the tranny and the messy buildup is clearly somewhat gear lube on the case. i'm going to get my wrench and some gear oil, but if anyone can think of something else to check, let me know!

anecdotally, the carbs cough and spit when this happens. related???

thefleur
Elliot Cannon
CV joints??
lotus_65
oh, i forgot to say, i did check the cv's lugs, etc... they're tight, and prior to this engine change, i had zero issues with these cv's

Joe Bob
Either Jimmy Hoffa is in the trunk or the CV joint BEARINGS are about to take a dump....
r_towle
Check CV joints, motor mounts (both front and rear)
Then, jack up the rear and grab the wheel...see if it moves back and forth pivoting on the front trailing arm mount....pull and push it hard.

Rich
SLITS
Motor mounts
jt914-6
Sounds motor mountish to me too.
lotus_65
ok, right on. i'll check the bearings and mounts. it's a good chance it's the front mounts i think.

Rich, is your test for the wheel bearings? i changed them 1500 clicks ago. thanks

thefleur
Wilhelm
One of the members on this board had this problem recently and it wasn't the motor mounts or the cv joints. His engine wasn't bolted to the crossbar. Either the bolts fell out or were forgotten.
lotus_65
QUOTE(Wilhelm @ May 15 2009, 01:44 AM) *

One of the members on this board had this problem recently and it wasn't the motor mounts or the cv joints. His engine wasn't bolted to the crossbar. Either the bolts fell out or were forgotten.

huh, that would stink. but i torqued them down tight myself.

i don't know why i didn't replace them before the install. that was stupid of me. i should have checked/topped up the gear lube too.
WTF.gif 051103-stupid4.gif

i heard someone has "machined" hockey pucks to use as motor mounts... since i'm smart like a puck, i think i'll try it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.