Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Charcoal Canister 74
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Strudelwagon
Hi Everyone,
I'm new and I wounder if anyone has a picture of a 74 with an engine bay mounted charcoal canister. Mine came in a box and the clamp is missing.

Thanks
Steve Fenning
SLITS
On a '74 it is mounted on the top of the fuel tank, driver's side. Cars aren't handy to shoot an image.

If you want to mount it in the engine bay .... any place would do, but you would not have the 3rd line that runs thru the center tunnel, next to the gas lines that comes from the vent on the fuel tank. Without that line it would be useless anyway.
megfourfun
Check out the originality forum.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=55355

There are some good shots there, I think.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(SLITS @ May 14 2009, 09:38 PM) *

On a '74 it is mounted on the top of the fuel tank, driver's side. Cars aren't handy to shoot an image.

Actually, you are wrong Ron...

73 was mounted on the gas tank. 74 was moved into the engine compartment and a small plastic line was run up to the gas tank.

It mounts in one of 2 places in the engine compartment. One was on the battery tray, the other was on the back wall, right of center.

SLITS
Ok Clay ....

I own two '74s and a '73. I must be senile or you could recheck your information (see images in PIG section as mentioned above).

BUT

I am taller than you .. av-943.gif
Strudelwagon
[quote name='SLITS' post='1169573' date='May 14 2009, 07:52 PM']
Ok Clay ....

I own two '74s and a '73. I must be senile or you could recheck your information (see images in PIG section as mentioned above).

BUT

I am taller than you .. :rotfl:quote

Petty sure it's an engine bay mounted one because I have that little plastic pipe in the engine bay looking for something to attach to and I don't have the two holes in the inner fender to feed the big hoses through and then along the drivers long.
SW
championgt1
My car is a 74. Up front.
cwpeden
A friend of mine just bought a Bumblebee. Its in the engine compartment, I'll to get a pic
kconway
Late 74 is engine bay mounted. My sticker say 7/74 and its in the engine bay. My expansion tank is plastic also, not metal. I suspect an early 75 rollout.
Kev
kkid
My '74 has it up front. But check this one. You may get a partial idea form there.

http://www.demandjen.com/914/

cheer.gif

JeffBowlsby
Having owned several 1974 914s, here is the real truth.

A previous early-1974 car of mine, VIN 4742901465 had a plastic charcoal canister mounted like the early cars to the fuel tank and the two large lines routed under the driver side threshold to the engine bay.

At some point during the 1974 model year that changed. All the later 1974 model year cars have the plastic canister mounted to the rear engine bay wall with a metal strap bracket onto a press-in stud on the upper rear engine bay wall. The small diameter vapor supply tubing is routed through the center tunnel to the engine bay. All LE cars beginning with VINs in the 4742914300 and higher have this location. I do not know precisely when or why the change occurred, maybe it was more efficient?

At some time later, for the 1975 and certainly by the 1976 cars, I am not sure when, the plastic canister was relocated to the side of the battery tray, with yet a different shaped metal strap - I have seen both of the straps side by side, they are different.

The other thing I discovered is that a couple of the diagrams that are floating around on how these canisters are plumbed, are wrong. The diagrams show the supply tube (small diameter) immediately next to the exit port of the canister. This is wrong because the vapor flow would be immediately short circuited and the intended filtering effect of the charcoal would be defeated, because the vapor would not flow through it.

I am sure I can find photos of each of these conditions, but I am pressed for time right now.
watsonrx13
Here's a shot of the front trunk/gas tank area for an early '74 (10/73, #5914) showing the charcoal canister....

Here's a shot of the front trunk/gas tank area for a later '74 (2/74 #14391 - LE) not showing the charcoal canister. I don't have a shot of the engine compartment, with the canister, because the engine/tranny was already removed...

Hope this helps...

-- Rob
benalishhero
My '74 (pro date 11/73) is up front .
type47
OK, I'll stirthepot.gif . 4742908360 has it up front.
Strudelwagon
QUOTE(type47 @ May 15 2009, 06:18 AM) *

OK, I'll stirthepot.gif . 4742908360 has it up front.

OK, I'm VIN 4742916991 and I have the stud on the back engine bay wall. I guess I should post a WTB for a plastic canister and clamp.
Thanks For the help folks.

You guys are good cheer.gif
Katmanken
One of my 74's, the L-jet has it on the right rear firewall....

Errr..

Had it on the rear firewall until I hit it going in to fix something...

Stud pulled right out and was the crappiest stud mount I've ever seen.

And I've used studs on quite a few of my engineering designs...

Ken
JeffBowlsby
Here is the location in a 1976 car:

Cevan
4742904566 front mounted
4742919936 engine bay (rear) mounted
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.