Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Transmission Seal and Pressure
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cire
I have those little nicks in my seal surface for the tranny. I put a new seal in and did all the clean up everyone recomended. My question is, how much oil is going to be hitting the back of the seal? If it leaked are we talking 2 or 3 drops or are we talking 2 quarts a drive? Just trying to understand the impact, or possible impact.

Thanks.

Eric
Bleyseng
also affecting the seals sealing is the play in the shaft due to wear in the bearings. The ones in the tranny and the one in the flywheel, if those don't support the shaft so there is little movement then lots of 90wt oil flys out.
Cire
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ May 15 2009, 05:00 AM) *

also affecting the seals sealing is the play in the shaft due to wear in the bearings. The ones in the tranny and the one in the flywheel, if those don't support the shaft so there is little movement then lots of 90wt oil flys out.

So I had a thought about testing the seal. My tranny is out of the car and on my bench. If I fill it with oil and then tip it up so that the level line on the oil is higher than the seal (seal fully submerged) and it didnt leak I would be safe? I guess thats why I was wondering about pressure inside the tranny. Is there much build up? It has a direct vent tube and I would think there wouldnt be much pushing that oil out that seal. Another thought is how much of that shaft is in actual oil? If you step on the brakes all the oil runs to the front of the engine (the seal).

= ) Just trying to save myself some work and test the seal ahead of time. How much could leak? Still driveable? Add a quart monthly? LOL

Eric
davep
It should not be under pressure due to the vent.
The leak problem is not the loss of oil per se, it is the damage to the clutch friction disc that is of concern.
Whenever I have the tranny out, I service the engine as well; pull the flywheel, replace the engine main seal, the O-ring, the pilot bearing, the felt seal, the lock plate, and new bolts (Loctite them when installing). I guess the big thing is the pilot bearing, and all the other parts are disturbed when doing the job.
On the transmission, I like to replace the ball cup in the TO fork, and the plastic bushes for the TO bearing.
Also check the tube at the firewall for the clutch cable to ensure that it is not failing; they all seem to fail some time, and reinforcement of that joint is very important. I say joint, but I mean weld or if I remember correctly it was originally brazed.
Katmanken
The tranny is splash lubed meaning as the gears rotate, oil is slung around inside the case.

No pressure in there unless you have one of the really rare racing car trannys with the tranny oil pumps to circulate the oil and cool the tranny
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.