Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Heated Rear Window
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
McMark
Has anyone ever needed to turn on their heated rear window? Just curious. I've never heard anyone talking about them other than people buying them to install.
cwpeden
Yup, used it in my 72, have one in the 73.
McMark
Oh, and one other question. Was it frost or fog?
lotus_65
i can't imagine ever using it. i have driven in every weather condition but a full-on blizzard and never seen my rear window fog.

thefleur
pktzygt
When I got the car I thought it was cool that I had one. Then I realized that I'd never use it. I don't even know if I'll ever find out if it works.

I'd sell it or trade it if I thought I'd be worth the trouble.
MDG
I find all I need is some heat blowing through to keep the windows from fogging up. The rear window stays clear too even without putting on the defroster so most of the time I forget it's even on my car. My '73 has one and my '76 conversion doesn't - no real diff. to me.

Oh and including the other '73 I drove throughout the '80s - year round - I don't ever recall frost on the rear window. It's rapid fogging these cars are prone to when it gets chilly and like Lotus-65 said, it's not the rear window that fogs.

m.
jim_hoyland
I don't have the rear defrost window any longer, but I have used dash rwaer window switch and circuit from the engine compartment relay board as a power source for my seat-heaters.
computers4kids
OK, it sounds like it's a feature that probably is cool to have but not necessary. Now, has anyone known someone who has converted it to an antenna???? How well did it work?
carr914
I have a Tinted & Heated Rear Window waiting to go back on one of my 914-6s. No I have never turned it on.

T.C.
MDG
QUOTE(computers4kids @ May 15 2009, 09:25 AM) *

Now, has anyone known someone who has converted it to an antenna???? How well did it work?

Now that's some creative thinking. No clue if it would work or not but an interesting idea. The way the rear window is tucked in and surrounded on the outside by the roof overhang and the curve of the sail panels may impede the signal . . .
balljoint
It's a defroster. For rear viewing when you first get in your car on a frosty morning. For defogging you need dry air moving across the window, but fog shouldn't be much of a problem ever in an interior as small as a 914. I have one but have no idea if it works since cold weather means salty roads. :shudder:
McMark
the roof overhang and the curve of the sail panels may impede the signal

Yup.
EdwardBlume
Had it in my gray 73 2.0- must have been an option. +5 HP? driving.gif

Naw, the electric cord just got in the way.
detoxcowboy
I got one in my '74 and is only needed after heavy petting.. bn
championgt1
Have one in my 74. I have never needed to use it.
Bleyseng
Have one in my 76 and it used to work on those cold fall mornings when the car was parked outside. The whole inside would get really wet and moist.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.